C Jay O'Brien - Toronto Marlies, AHL (2018, 19th, PHI released)

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
7 minutes of O'Brien's media scrum at the NHL Combine on our site.

I know it's just an scrum but you can't help but like his demeanor. He exudes confidence and sounds smart.

He's met with 28 teams. He's safely on almost everyone's radar. All depends on who might be falling in the last tier of the first round.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dux917

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Posted this over in the Habs draft thread, may as well post this up here too.
Put together sequences from three of his earlier games this year - at the Prospects game, vs Michigan State and that Thayer game that's up on YT.

He's wearing #21, #11 and #9.

#9 in green for Cape Cod. Don't mind their scoreboard. Timestamped his goals and assists in the description.

Kudos to you, G0bias for putting together two clips about a player that didn't have a lot of footage.

Reactions: Larry44

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
Kudos to you, G0bias for putting together two clips about a player that didn't have a lot of footage.
I normally wouldn't bother at that level of competition. But I feel he was worth it and he's fun to watch - which definitely helps sitting through NE high school games lol.

Reactions: Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I normally wouldn't bother at that level of competition. But I feel he was worth it and he's fun to watch - which definitely helps sitting through NE high school games lol.

For those who haven't watched the clips, there are a lot of grainy images taken from a swivel camera and the play-by-play takes amateurish to a new level. You've got a patience of gold.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Playstyle reminds me a bit of Brayden Point. Dynamic offensively but also very good defensively. Praying the Rangers grab him

Reactions: Dux917

JK2K

Mar 13, 2017
Quick question.
O’Brien is a late birthday (99) and plays high school hockey.
How is that possible?
Would he not have finished high school last year, like the 2000’s will this year?
Is it because of his late birthday?
Tkachuk is the same age (late birthday) and played NCAA.
If someone could clear it up.
Thx

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Quick question.
O’Brien is a late birthday (99) and plays high school hockey.
How is that possible?
Would he not have finished high school last year, like the 2000’s will this year?
Is it because of his late birthday?
Tkachuk is the same age (late birthday) and played NCAA.
If someone could clear it up.
Thx
American school system isn't as stringent as Canada where we pretty much go by the January 1st until December 31st calendar. A bunch of areas in the states will use the September 1st until August 31st. This isn't an uncommon occurrence and many USNTDP kids have fast tracked. Matthews and Matthew Tkachuk entered the USNTP as a grade 10 students for example. Guys like Kyle Connor and Casey Mittselstadt were in a similar boat. Its likely Tkachuk fast-tracked his schooling, know he would want to go to college right out of the USNTDP. Quinn Hughes would be complex because he grew up in the Canadian School system and therefore most likely entered the USNTDP as a grade 11 student.

Edit: Here is a list of all the NCAA players who are U-19 and undrafted. No one is born after Sept 1st. Although, there is a Sept 9th who was drafted in Clayton Phillips. That should show how uncommon it is for a regular high-school student of O'Brien's age to play in the NCAA.

Elite Prospects - NCAA Stats 2017-2018

Last edited:

Mark Edwards

@MarkEdwardsHP
Feb 14, 2008
Toronto
www.HockeyProspect.com

#9 in green for Cape Cod. Don't mind their scoreboard. Timestamped his goals and assists in the description.

McDonough is on his line if you want to take a peek at him too.

I watched for 2 minutes and ID'd 3 Winnipeg scouts and a Colorado scout. A ton of scouts were there.

Nice job on the video.

We are looking for another shift by shift video person. Don't need to be a scout, just someone who is good with video.

Reactions: G0bias

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
McDonough is on his line if you want to take a peek at him too.

I watched for 2 minutes and ID'd 3 Winnipeg scouts and a Colorado scout. A ton of scouts were there.

Nice job on the video.

We are looking for another shift by shift video person. Don't need to be a scout, just someone who is good with video.
I liked what I saw of McDonough at the tournament and from the few Thayer games floating around. He's got good offensive instincts and a nose for the net. I see you guys are pretty high on him, how likely is he to hear his name called out? Also what were your thoughts on Rathbone, 4th round pick last year?

And thanks. Your first reports on O'Brien going back months ago is what piqued our curiosity over on the Habs boards.

Last edited:

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
I'm meh on the pick, but I think that speaks more to my lack of knowledge. The Flyers scouts have earned the benefit of the doubt for going off board. And I am thrilled with the Farabee pick so it takes the edge off question marks at 19th.

Reactions: Striiker

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad