C Jay O'Brien - Toronto Marlies, AHL (2018, 19th, PHI released)

Thebesthockey

Aug 6, 2013
very hard to judge high school players just based on the competition level
need really to see a minimum full yr in OHL/NCAA competition especially for a 2nd rounder
and yes i realize some god talent came out of highschool hockey in past but this draft is very deep

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
very hard to judge high school players just based on the competition level
need really to see a minimum full yr in OHL/NCAA competition especially for a 2nd rounder
and yes i realize some god talent came out of highschool hockey in past but this draft is very deep
when you have no clue about a player, come in here, make stupid blanket statements, and continue your bias/anti-US junior players....snore......

Thebesthockey

Aug 6, 2013
you know nothing
i have seen him live last season including end season game agaist st sebs

not saying he is not good
just very hard to judge against teams that carry 15 yr olds 16 yr olds

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
you know nothing
i have seen him live last season including end season game agaist st sebs

not saying he is not good
just very hard to judge against teams that carry 15 yr olds 16 yr olds

so now you have seen him play...and yet you have no basic comprehension/understanding of Prep hockey in the states...got it, I know nothing...

Reactions: BondraTime

Dux917

Feb 22, 2018
There will always be a anti-NCAA and prep school bias in rankings, mock drafts, etc., as long as the vast majority of folks compiling these lists reside north of the border and still believe major junior is the only way to go.

In regards to O'Brien, he isn't your "usual prep-school" player as he also played games for the NTDP team (some of the games were against college competition), all the major US prospect all-star games, he also played for the Cape Cod Whalers in all the major U-18 tournaments. In these, he more then held his own and even starred.

Also, from posted articles - one of the major reasons why he stayed at Thayer Academy (besides it being a top academic private school, that he could benefit from for his entire life...) was that the head coach there is Tony Amonte, who played over 15 years in the NHL, and he could work with him everyday, along with being able to train full-time at a local training facility that many NHL players from the Boston area (and current Bruins) still train at. Amonte played at Thayer as did Jermey Roenick, Ryan Whitney, etc. So, it's not your usual high school set-up.

But, we'll see what the NHL feels about him on draft day.....

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
There will always be a anti-NCAA and prep school bias in rankings, mock drafts, etc., as long as the vast majority of folks compiling these lists reside north of the border and still believe major junior is the only way to go.

In regards to O'Brien, he isn't your "usual prep-school" player as he also played games for the NTDP team (some of the games were against college competition), all the major US prospect all-star games, he also played for the Cape Cod Whalers in all the major U-18 tournaments. In these, he more then held his own and even starred.

Also, from posted articles - one of the major reasons why he stayed at Thayer Academy (besides it being a top academic private school, that he could benefit from for his entire life...) was that the head coach there is Tony Amonte, who played over 15 years in the NHL, and he could work with him everyday, along with being able to train full-time at a local training facility that many NHL players from the Boston area (and current Bruins) still train at. Amonte played at Thayer as did Jermey Roenick, Ryan Whitney, etc. So, it's not your usual high school set-up.

But, we'll see what the NHL feels about him on draft day.....
Good info. The devil is in the details with these high school kids. Some are racking up points in a weaker league/division in mediocre surroundings, others are in a good league with great coaches and facilities, and have proven themselves in off season Tournaments and games against higher competition.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I would even consider him with the Ducks firstrounder.

He's sure getting a lot of attention for someone who was under the radar not so long ago.

I guess it all depends who and how many fallers happen at the end of the first round and in the beginning of the second round.

Dux917

Feb 22, 2018
From Mark Scheig after the combine who covers the Blue Jackets.

"....Speaking of the Blue Jackets, keep an eye on center Jay O’Brien. He’s a name that generated some buzz this week and could go in the first round. When I spoke to him, he admitted that not only did he meet with the Blue Jackets, he said they went to Thayer Academy “four or five times” this season to watch him. As they say, the Blue Jackets frequented his games. They want center depth. O’Brien is an excellent skater. He’s also the best prep skater available in this draft. This adds up. Let’s see what happens in Dallas now."

Don't see him going as high as when the Blue Jackets pick in the first (and most likely he will be gone when they pick in the second), but at the bottom of the first - Caps, Red Wings, could happen.

Son of Donegal

Stay-at-home defenseman with zero upside.
Aug 1, 2008
Maynard, MA
thomsonsafaris.com
Belmont Hill's rink is right down the street from my office, so I have had a chance to catch the Thayer/Belmont Hill games for the past few years. Jay O'Brien stood out in those games (as did Tony Amonte's coaching presence from the bench. He is often the loudest person in the rink!) I have heard McKinnon comparisons for O'Brien and while he isn't close to where McKinnon was at the same age, the style of game is similar. I also see a bit of Chris Drury to O'Brien's game...though he does play C. He is a puck hound in all zones...and he just makes plays. He is an opportunistic scorer and playmaker.

There are a lot of options for teams looking to add a C in the 2nd round. So, in order for O'Brien to rise as far as the late 1st round or early second, he has to pass some really notable CHL and Euro players. But, I have to think there are teams who are willing to wait (perhaps even happy to wait) for a player like O'Brien. The tools are there. He just needs time to bulk up and test his game against bigger, stronger competition. He will get all of that at Providence College.

No matter where he is taken, it will be really interesting to see how O'Brien does as a freshman at Providence.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad