C Jake Guentzel (2013, 77th, PIT)

NHL RankKing

Fantasy Guru
Aug 31, 2013
Hockeytown
www.nhlrankking.com
I figured Guentzel needed a bit of recognition

Guentzel had a fantastic year with U. of Nebraska-Omaha finishing with 35GP - 19G -27A -46Pts leading his team, and then leaving to sign with the Pens after his junior year.

I wasn't sure if his offensive skills would translate well to the pro game, but all signs are pointing to a positive trajectory.

They swept a solid Providence team in the first round of the AHL playoffs and he assisted on the Game #1 OT winner and scored the Game #3 2OT winner Sat. night (4 point night).
He has 7 points in his first 3 AHL playoff games.

Kasperi kapanen

Jul 23, 2014
Yea he definetily needs more recognition. Amazing AHL start and one of the best college players. Very underrated.

BIitz

GRANT = SOFT
Oct 5, 2010
Wow he didn't even have his own thread till today? I remember thinking he was underrated coming out of the USHL. Looks like he's progressed wonderfully since.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Hoping for a strong rookie season in the AHL next year, 40 points and maybe a call up to the NHL if there are injuries.

Epic Neal Time

May 8, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
Guentzel has had a fantastic preseason so far. No points, but has been creating a lot and has averaged around 17 mins per game. He also hasn't played with any of our three scoring centers. He looks to be getting an extended look at making the opening roster.

It's worth noting that the Penguins see him as a LW long-term, which only helps his chances because it's an organizational weakness. He gets a chance tomorrow night against Columbus, skating with Bonino and Kessel.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
As a fellow alumni of the same high school, I hope this kid makes it! I really wish the Wild had taken him, even though it would have been in the 2nd round. We picked 4 picks after he was taken and got Kurtis Gabriel with it instead, which only makes it sting all the worse.

North Country

Oct 24, 2012
I've always liked his vision in the offensive zone and will do very well setting up his linemates when teamed with a good finisher. Also like his all around game but he would really benefit with adding a little more bulk to his frame. Could be a number 2 or 3 LW in the near future.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
His skill set is outstanding. He does need some bulk but not a lot. He competes very well and his ability in limited space is something. Correct he will mature and look for him to be a solid contributor next season.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Guentzel plays a lot like a center, but it's nice that he's capable of playing both center and LW pretty comfortably. His vision and 2-way play is a lot stronger than many other offensive prospects the Penguins have had in recent years. I feel like his upside is RNH who can also play LW, although it would be nice for him to get a better shot and add some size.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
The only thing better than scoring on your first shot on your first shift of your first game is to have your family in the crowd watching.

Legendary reactions in the crowd.

Their next Sheary?

Guentzel's upside is much higher. Jaden Schwartz has been the best comparison I've seen (best case scenario, but they play the game very similarly).

edit:
0Tf3MtD.gif

Last edited:

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Damn, had no idea he was so highly touted. Pens seem to have figured out their drafting after years of not much.

Key word is comparison, Schwartz would be Guentzel's best case scenario, but Guentzel's game is extremely similar to Schwartz's. To this point he has developed as well as we could have hoped as he was always a boom or bust prospect.

I've always been high on the kid, but he's adapted to the pro game far better than I expected. Having multiple goals tonight means he's now over a PPG as a pro (39 points in 38 games between the AHL, AHL playoffs, and now 1 NHL game).

Also worth noting that upside has never been an argument that has favored Sheary too often, he's your classic overachiever.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad