C Jack Finley - Spokane Chiefs, WHL (2020, 57th, TBL)

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I guess he is someone to watch and had a good playoffs for Spokane but nothing really stands out about him except his size.

Haanz

Mar 2, 2013
Two goals including the OT winner for Finley last night. Up to 17 points in 18 games now and has already nearly matched his regular season point output from last season (19 points in 63 games). A kid this size showing this kind of progression should garner some serious attention come draft day.

Last edited:
Reactions: d rake and sabresEH

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Been pretty productive over the last month or so. Not many big centers in this draft, I wonder if he is creeping up draft boards for NHL teams.

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
He's also a pretty good skater for his size so I'd imagine he goes somewhere in the 2nd. It's looking like another good WHL class this year other than no potential top 5 guys like last year or next year

Reactions: Frk It

sabresEH

May 17, 2009
Kelowna, BC
Been pretty productive over the last month or so. Not many big centers in this draft, I wonder if he is creeping up draft boards for NHL teams.
He finished his schooling in the first half of the year and has had more offensive success since. I know one team had him rated just outside the first round during their scout meetings in the winter.

He's also one of the younger players in this draft as a September birthday and is leaned on very heavily on the dot. I took a look at face-offs taken leaders and all the top guys are 19 or 20 bombs with the exception of Jack and Connor Zary.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
He finished his schooling in the first half of the year and has had more offensive success since. I know one team had him rated just outside the first round during their scout meetings in the winter.

He's also one of the younger players in this draft as a September birthday and is leaned on very heavily on the dot. I took a look at face-offs taken leaders and all the top guys are 19 or 20 bombs with the exception of Jack and Connor Zary.
Ranked outside a teams top 30? If so that isnt exactly great.

sabresEH

May 17, 2009
Kelowna, BC
So in your eyes the only prospects worth mentioning are the ones ranked within a teams top 31?
He's consistently rated in the late second-third round by a lot of the guys that post their lists here. The fact that at least one NHL team has him rated just outside the 1st round is definitely a good thing.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018

....out of worldwide players his age?

Kids is playing major junior, that’s already an absolutely fantastic hockey player in the grand scheme of things. To be ranked at all for the NHL draft, much less in a teams top 60 or 35 or whatever is an even more difficult and rare achievement.

Reactions: sabresEH

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
A couple more years of skill development and filling out his frame should do wonders for his stock. If the Chiefs continue rolling like they are now we could see him in Kelowna in late May.

Reactions: teddygmr

Johnny Hanson

Jul 6, 2008
Jack Finley, to me, is one of the more intriguing prospects heading into this draft. He’s a big, right shot natural centre who already excels at the defensive portion of the game. He is one of the youngest players in the draft and has NHL bloodlines.

Having said all that, I’ve only ever seen highlights of him and I watched him in the CHL too prospects game. Anybody have an up to date scouting report on him? He seems like he’s got a ton of potential and would definitely be worth taking a shot on in the second round.

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
Obviously a big kid who's one of the youngest in the class so while he's already 200+ pounds he has a ways to go filling out and can easily carry 230ish lbs. Still needs to work on his skating but above average at his size. Really good shot with a fast release and power behind it which should only get harder. Can pull off some nice passes and quick hands that makes it tough to knock him off the puck. Smart player and great 2way player already. Isn't extremely physical all the time but has games where he plays with an edge. Hopefully as he matures he brings that edge every game like a Getzlaf type. Should go somewhere in the 2nd and is a very projectable player. Played a bit with Beckman but moved all around the lineup so his numbers aren't that inflated by him

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
Obviously a big kid who's one of the youngest in the class so while he's already 200+ pounds he has a ways to go filling out and can easily carry 230ish lbs. Still needs to work on his skating but above average at his size. Really good shot with a fast release and power behind it which should only get harder. Can pull off some nice passes and quick hands that makes it tough to knock him off the puck. Smart player and great 2way player already. Isn't extremely physical all the time but has games where he plays with an edge. Hopefully as he matures he brings that edge every game like a Getzlaf type. Should go somewhere in the 2nd and is a very projectable player. Played a bit with Beckman but moved all around the lineup so his numbers aren't that inflated by him

obviously tough to comp a guy who's abnormally big, but is he similar to boyle at all?

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
His numbers are similar to those of Adam Lowry in his draft year. Could definitely see the Jets being interested. Sounds like he checks a lot of the boxes for things they like in a player.

His Dad was a member of Jets 1.0 in their final season.

Reactions: sabresEH

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
The sixth overall pick in the 2017 WHL Bantam Draft, Spokane Chiefs centre Jack Finley literally towers over his competition in the WHL. With a September 2002 birthdate, he is one of the younger players in this draft class. Still just 17, he already comes in at 6-foot-6, and may still be growing. Finley struggled to find ice time as WHL rookie, and his numbers show that. He put up nine goals and 19 points in 63 games. Finley started to turn the corner in last year’s playoffs as he put up one goal and seven assists for eight points in 15 games. He also played for Team Canada Black at the 2018 Under-17 World Hockey Challenge, picking up two assists in five games.

Finley really broke out this past season with a top-six role. He scored 19 goals and 38 assists and 57 points in 61 games before the season was cancelled due to COVID-19. Finley comes from excellent hockey bloodlines. His father, Jeff Finley was a third-round pick by the New York Islanders in 1985. He played 708 NHL games for five NHL teams. His younger brother, Mason Finley was drafted by the Calgary Hitmen in the 2019 WHL Draft.

Our scouting Report is here
Jack Finley Scouting Report: 2020 NHL Draft #63 - Last Word on Hockey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad