C Jack Finley - Spokane Chiefs, WHL (2020, 57th, TBL)

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
He is a project to be sure but I really wonder on his ceiling but his floor with his size should mean that he goes in the top 62 IMO.

sabresEH

May 17, 2009
Kelowna, BC
The sixth overall pick in the 2017 WHL Bantam Draft, Spokane Chiefs centre Jack Finley literally towers over his competition in the WHL. With a September 2002 birthdate, he is one of the younger players in this draft class. Still just 17, he already comes in at 6-foot-6, and may still be growing. Finley struggled to find ice time as WHL rookie, and his numbers show that. He put up nine goals and 19 points in 63 games. Finley started to turn the corner in last year’s playoffs as he put up one goal and seven assists for eight points in 15 games. He also played for Team Canada Black at the 2018 Under-17 World Hockey Challenge, picking up two assists in five games.

Finley really broke out this past season with a top-six role. He scored 19 goals and 38 assists and 57 points in 61 games before the season was cancelled due to COVID-19. Finley comes from excellent hockey bloodlines. His father, Jeff Finley was a third-round pick by the New York Islanders in 1985. He played 708 NHL games for five NHL teams. His younger brother, Mason Finley was drafted by the Calgary Hitmen in the 2019 WHL Draft.

Our scouting Report is here
Jack Finley Scouting Report: 2020 NHL Draft #63 - Last Word on Hockey
I enjoyed the write up. I found the face offs comment a little off though. He only won 53% of his face offs but the fact he was counted on so heavily should tell you what Spokane thinks about his face off ability. Of the top 10 guys in face off wins(I couldn’t find %leaders) he had the 2nd lowest %. But he was also the only ‘02. Everyone else was a ‘99 or ‘00 with the exception of Gage Goncalves who had the lowest % of the top 10 as the only ‘01.

How does his FO% compare to the rest of the draft eligibles in other leagues?

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
That's the guy I wanted the Bruins to pick. Total swing for the fences.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Great pick.. I knew a team would take him in the 2nd.. right when I saw TBay trade for this pick I knew it would be Finley. They watched him an absurd amount this past season.

In 2 years fans will be flabbergasted how he wasnt a high 1st round pick.

Finley and Ozzy Weisblatt were my 2 guys I knew would be taken alot higher than fans would have guessed

Antiillafire

May 1, 2021
Trnava, Slovakia
Any reason why this guy was a second rounder in 2020 besides the size? Watching the past few ice games and he really looks to be mostly a non factor. Doesn’t drive play at all and always looks like he has a disconnect between his thinking and his skating

Reactions: teddygmr

jfm133

Nov 6, 2015
Tampa took a shot on him because he had a one point per game season at 17 while being one of the youngest player in the 2020 draft being born on September 2. They thought a center with such a big frame would take more time to develop and he was so young. Unfortunately for them, he cannot break the one point per game level.

Reactions: Hockeyville USA

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Tampa took a shot on him because he had a one point per game season at 17 while being one of the youngest player in the 2020 draft being born on September 2. They thought a center with such a big frame would take more time to develop and he was so young. Unfortunately for them, he cannot break the one point per game level.
BIG kid and still young. Maybe he take that next step.

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
Just seems like a guy who didn't progress (whether that's mostly on him or somewhat affected by pandemic related stops/starts &/or injuries) and is likely a bust. Always thought Chromiak was much better than him and should have gone in the 2nd round.

rubenflamshep

Dec 6, 2023
Toronto
scoutthe.xyz
Hopefully as he matures he brings that edge every game like a Getzlaf type.

Getzlaf is an interesting comparable. Smaller (though still 6'4'' as a prospect) with similar point production at draft. Doesn't look like Jack took that next step though and has actually regressed compared to his peers.
Screenshot 2024-01-03 at 12.00.31 PM.png

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-01-03 at 11.57.46 AM.png
    Screenshot 2024-01-03 at 11.57.46 AM.png
    261.8 KB · Views: 1

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad