C Jack Eichel (2015, 2nd, BUF) V

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
mmd83c.jpg

Previous Thread http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1918735

ginopuck

Apr 2, 2012
2 assists today and won 9 of 12 faceoffs. Looks like he's starting to heat up!

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
2 assists today and won 9 of 12 faceoffs. Looks like he's starting to heat up!

About time. He's been due forever. Wouldn't be shocked if went on a bit of a tear here as his on ice sh% regresses upward to a more reasonable number.

sah braise

Dec 24, 2014
I was waiting for a goal like this. I see him being able to do this regularly on the powerplay like seguin and ovi with that shot

Beukeboom

Apr 1, 2007
Two points so far tonight! Second two point game in a row and a three game point streak. Still not half the game played thou.

Beukeboom

Apr 1, 2007
Someone has to see that Eichel reminds a lot about a young Lemieux? Just look at the rush that created the penalty just now. He is very Lemieuxesque. He doesn't look that fast but he just outskated everyone and he doesn't look that good at deking with that long stick but just outdekes eveyrone. Just like Lemieux!

Waterfowlist

Aug 9, 2012
LOL at the people counting him out of the Calder race because of a "poor" 5 game stretch early in the season....

Too funny. The talent in undeniable.

AD1066

Sep 30, 2011
Someone has to see that Eichel reminds a lot about a young Lemieux? Just look at the rush that created the penalty just now. He is very Lemieuxesque. He doesn't look that fast but he just outskated everyone and he doesn't look that good at deking with that long stick but just outdekes eveyrone. Just like Lemieux!

Careful, you'll offend lawrence. :)

Obviously it's not a comparison of their skills but instead the way they seem to do everything effortlessly and gracefully.

Beukeboom

Apr 1, 2007
Careful, you'll offend lawrence. :)

Obviously it's not a comparison of their skills but instead the way they seem to do everything effortlessly and gracefully.

Yes of course. Lets not get carried away. But it is just that Eichel seems so much slower, less skilled and just more clumsy then say McDavid but he really isn't. Not saying he is as good as McDavid but it might not be that much of a difference.

Lemieux was graceful in a clumsy looking way just like Eichel.

Yes effortless is the perfect word to describe them!

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
My favorite play of his tonight was coming back hard on the PK and flattening his man in the slot.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Goal, assist and a penalty drawn on a great individual effort. He has been fantastic. So good at just 19. He can do it all. Score, Pk, face offs, excel at both ends etc. He better not wear any other sweater the rest of his career (besides team USA and all star jerseys of course)

sah braise

Dec 24, 2014
What a night for him. He was the best player on the ice all night, every shift. Rather dominant performance

Correct

Jan 30, 2015

I'm a Sabres fan and have watched about all of Eichel's games so far.

The Lemieux comparison popped into my head a few games ago, before the recent onslaught of comparisons on here (or at least I didn't see them before).

I read the Eichel/Lemieux thread on the main board and there's a lot of defensiveness on there, both from the pro-argument crowd ("I'm not saying he's as good!") and the anti-argument crowd ("Lemieux/Gretzky comps should be banned!")

My comp came from my gut. It wasn't a logical decision. It just "appeared". I said "he's like a smaller Lemieux". Earlier in the year I thought Eichel was being too non-chalant. He's played several games against Tampa already and I got the feeling that he was trying to be Stamkos. This pissed me off because Eichel has just about everything Stamkos has and more. He's a far more well-rounded Stamkos. I also feel he has skills and power that Modano never had (another popular comparision). Since then he's started playing better.

Another poster said that he lacks the "eyes in the back of the head" vision that Lemieux and Gretzky had. I agree with that, although I think McDavid has that.

What Eichel does have is the Lemieux ability to slow the game down, play with zero nerves, and total patience. That patience and zero nerves quality is what all the greats had. Patience is rare in sports. Gretzky, Lemieux, Orr, Crosby, Barry Sanders, Steph Curry. Those guys have it. I don't ever remember Modano or even Stamkos having that patience.

Other posters said that Stamkos is more of an elite passenger, where Eichel is an elite driver. I agree with that too. That puts Eichel's ceiling as higher than Stamkos's. Stamkos is more like Jari Kurri.

And then there is the elite skill-set Jack has. Elite skating, elite shot, elite release, elite reach, elite ability to get his shot on net, elite passing, elite vision (although not the level of the greatest of all time), elite stickhandling. Just a total package. This man was put on earth to play hockey.

The complete skill-set package plus the patience and ability to create space is what reminds people of Lemieux. It's not a poor comparison at all. I can't think of anybody else to compare him to. He's more shoot-first than Forsberg, he's kind of similar to Jagr but not really, he seems much stronger than Federov. I like the Lemieux comp, although he lacks size and a certain intangible Lemieux had that made him LEMIEUX.

Beukeboom

Apr 1, 2007
I'm a Sabres fan and have watched about all of Eichel's games so far.

The Lemieux comparison popped into my head a few games ago, before the recent onslaught of comparisons on here (or at least I didn't see them before).

I read the Eichel/Lemieux thread on the main board and there's a lot of defensiveness on there, both from the pro-argument crowd ("I'm not saying he's as good!") and the anti-argument crowd ("Lemieux/Gretzky comps should be banned!")

My comp came from my gut. It wasn't a logical decision. It just "appeared". I said "he's like a smaller Lemieux". Earlier in the year I thought Eichel was being too non-chalant. He's played several games against Tampa already and I got the feeling that he was trying to be Stamkos. This pissed me off because Eichel has just about everything Stamkos has and more. He's a far more well-rounded Stamkos. I also feel he has skills and power that Modano never had (another popular comparision). Since then he's started playing better.

Another poster said that he lacks the "eyes in the back of the head" vision that Lemieux and Gretzky had. I agree with that, although I think McDavid has that.

What Eichel does have is the Lemieux ability to slow the game down, play with zero nerves, and total patience. That patience and zero nerves quality is what all the greats had. Patience is rare in sports. Gretzky, Lemieux, Orr, Crosby, Barry Sanders, Steph Curry. Those guys have it. I don't ever remember Modano or even Stamkos having that patience.

Other posters said that Stamkos is more of an elite passenger, where Eichel is an elite driver. I agree with that too. That puts Eichel's ceiling as higher than Stamkos's. Stamkos is more like Jari Kurri.

And then there is the elite skill-set Jack has. Elite skating, elite shot, elite release, elite reach, elite ability to get his shot on net, elite passing, elite vision (although not the level of the greatest of all time), elite stickhandling. Just a total package. This man was put on earth to play hockey.

The complete skill-set package plus the patience and ability to create space is what reminds people of Lemieux. It's not a poor comparison at all. I can't think of anybody else to compare him to. He's more shoot-first than Forsberg, he's kind of similar to Jagr but not really, he seems much stronger than Federov. I like the Lemieux comp, although he lacks size and a certain intangible Lemieux had that made him LEMIEUX.

Yeah 10 minutes after I said it here I think Milbury and then Sportsnet said it too. Unfortunately the main discussion board seems to have misundersto0d what they (and we) meant.

It is like you say, the game seems slow to him and Lemieux. Just before his rush I was thinking "Eichel you're too slow, you're going to create a turnover outside your own defensive zone"..and then suddenly he is one on one with the goalie. That is pretty Lemieuxesque..

Eichel can create something out of nothing. That is not really Stamkos style other then his shot. One of my favourite Eichel plays was when he won a neutral zone faceoff and just took the puck forward and ended up one on one with the goalie, everything done by himself.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad