C Ivan Lodnia - Erie Otters, OHL (2017 Draft)

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Not much talk about this young 99'.

Currently in his first season in the OHL with Erie, kid has looked pretty good so far. Raw as hell, but definitely has some skills and tools. Interested to see how much more ice time he gets with the WJC coming up and some names are going to be gone.

Thoughts on his play so far?

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Saw that the skills were there with this kid in rookie camp.

Had a really rough start to the season, injury in preseason hurt his transition a bit.

Only 3 points in his first 14 games.

Since then, 16 points in 15 games.

Small, but strong on his skates. Not blazing breakaway speed but very agile, strong puck protection, excellent hands and vision, pretty good shot too.

It's pretty telling that of the Otters last three first round picks (Strome, Taylor Raddysh, now Lodnia), Lodnia has looked the best in his rookie season.

He's much smaller than the other two, but if he bulks up this offseason and improves his skating a bit he'll tear it up next season.

Dhockey16

Jun 23, 2011
Erie, Pennsylvania
Someone might want to change the title of the thread. Lodnia has decided to go by Ivan instead of Vanya from now on.

Edit: Looks like someone got that changed pretty quickly.

https://twitter.com/GoErieHockey/status/739487077222514689?lang=en

Also, according to Mark Scheig of http://thehockeywriters.com/ Lodnia has had a major growth spurt - he now stands at 6 foot 1 inches tall.

https://twitter.com/THWMark/status/739477365789757441?lang=en

This is a kid that put up as many points in his 16 year old season as Dylan Strome did. What happens to his draft stock now that height isn't a question?

Strome rookie year --> GP: 60 G: 10 A: 29 Pts: 39

Lodnia rookie year --> GP: 62 G: 16 A: 23 Pts: 39

Last edited:

Dhockey16

Jun 23, 2011
Erie, Pennsylvania
Hate to bump this thread again, but does anyone have any thoughts on this kid? Has anyone seen him? I like what I've seen in Erie. He had an excellent 16 year old season and grew from 5"9 to 6"1 this off season.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Interested to see how he does at the Hlinka for Team USA. He should be one of the key players up front along with McManus and Chmelevski.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
Interested to see how he does at the Hlinka for Team USA. He should be one of the key players up front along with McManus and Chmelevski.

Yeah, I'd think he should do fairly well. From what I saw of him this season I thought he looked good. He fit in very well as a young player on a very competitive team. His size isn't great - but who knows about that.

Perhaps this is for another thread, but is Chmelevski healthy?

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Yeah, I'd think he should do fairly well. From what I saw of him this season I thought he looked good. He fit in very well as a young player on a very competitive team. His size isn't great - but who knows about that.

Perhaps this is for another thread, but is Chmelevski healthy?

Apparently Lodnia hit a growth spurt, which would go a long way for him taking the next step.

Chmelevski is healthy. He's played in all three Select 17 games so far.

Last edited:

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
Apparently Lodnia hit a growth spurt, which would go a long for him taking the next step.

Chmelevski is healthy. He's played in all three Select 17 games so far.

well that's good on both accounts, then - Lodnia getting taller and Chmelevski getting healthy. Sounded like Sarnia was a bit of a headache for the latter and once he got to Ottawa he got injured. Both are players who should have good opportunities next season on their respective teams and I think could have very strong draft years.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Based on his twitter it looks like he's changed his mind and is sticking with Vanya: https://twitter.com/vanya_lodnia

Anyways I was glad to hear about the growth spurt, he was a bit small. If he improves his speed/strength this offseason he could one of the Otters top players next season and it wouldn't surprise me if he works himself into first round discussion.

Igor Shestyorkin

#26, the sickest of 'em all.
Apr 17, 2015
Moscow, RUS
Based on his twitter it looks like he's changed his mind and is sticking with Vanya: https://twitter.com/vanya_lodnia

Anyways I was glad to hear about the growth spurt, he was a bit small. If he improves his speed/strength this offseason he could one of the Otters top players next season and it wouldn't surprise me if he works himself into first round discussion.

Pick a name!!! :laugh:

h10*

Jan 12, 2011
Really like Lodnia as well. Kid was playing top 6 minutes as a rookie. That's very difficult to do especially on a team that is actually competitive, let alone winning 50+ games. I thought he was the most impressive 16 year old forward in OHL last season although a bit biased given I saw him play the most being in Erie. Supposedly he is 6'1 now. If that is also added by strength then he should rack up numbers this year.
He likely will get top skill minutes with Debrincat, Taylor Raddysh and an underrated guy in Kyle Maksimovich. Plus you'll see him get top PP minutes. His father owns hockey rinks in California so my hunch is he is a gym rat and at the rink all summer. Which explains how he wasnt slow to catch on as a 16 year old. He will start the year in that middle to late first round range but could easily see, especially given growth spurt, him come out and flash a lot more this year and turn into a top 10-15 prospect

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Second round I'd say.

He has great puck handling skills, but he isn't particularly big and could still improve his skating a bit.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Insanely, criminally underrated player. He's a dominant ES player already and he's one of the youngest players in this years draft. Tippett/Vilardi/Lodnia/Ratcliffe are easily my top 4 OHL forwards so far.

Mark Kandy

Habcoolic
Jul 22, 2014
Montreal
Insanely, criminally underrated player. He's a dominant ES player already and he's one of the youngest players in this years draft. Tippett/Vilardi/Lodnia/Ratcliffe are easily my top 4 OHL forwards so far.

Lodnia was one of the most impressive player on the Videotron Center ice for the CHL top prospect game. He really caught my eyes. Ratcliffe and Entwhisle were also impressive!

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I guess I don't understand what Ukraine immigrant means...

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/lodnia-73459-anaheim-ice.html

We try just somehow bring them over and let them smell the ice, let them touch the ice, let them at least understand to skate," said Lodnia in a heavy Russian accent. "I mean, skating on the ice is big, big fun." - funny, doesn't say Ukraine accent...

"Growing up in working-class family in Russia, Lodnia and his peers chose to play either soccer or hockey. Working hard at the game represented a chance to be "not rich, but kind of like rich," he said.

Mark Kandy

Habcoolic
Jul 22, 2014
Montreal
I'd be fine if we (the Habs) pick him in the 25-30 range. Like I've already said in the thread, he was one of the most impressive player at the CHL prospect game and I kept watching him after it, I love his play!

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
I guess I don't understand what Ukraine immigrant means...

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/lodnia-73459-anaheim-ice.html

We try just somehow bring them over and let them smell the ice, let them touch the ice, let them at least understand to skate," said Lodnia in a heavy Russian accent. "I mean, skating on the ice is big, big fun." - funny, doesn't say Ukraine accent...

"Growing up in working-class family in Russia, Lodnia and his peers chose to play either soccer or hockey. Working hard at the game represented a chance to be "not rich, but kind of like rich," he said.

Eh, probably a misunderstanding since Ukraine belonged to USSR back then. They're from Ukraine as far as I know.

https://theleftbench.com/blog/2016/07/22/ivan-lodnias-journey-shaped-by-family-sacrifice/

In 1996, Ivan Lodnia’s life was changed forever before he even existed.

Konstantin and Irina Lodnia said goodbye to their family and friends, packed their belongings and left their home country of Ukraine with their five-year-old daughter. They headed to Los Angeles with the hope of a better life. Three years later, they gave birth to their second child: Ivan.

Konstantin played hockey professionally in Ukraine before coming to America, and it was what he knew best. After the move, he made ends meet by coaching various hockey teams and giving private lessons.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad