C Ivan Barbashev (2014, 33rd, STL)

WildcatMapleLeafs28

Jun 30, 2009
Atlantic Canada
Hey just wondeering if anyone has any info on this guy? What kind of player? How high will he go in the NHL draft?

He was currently the #1 overall pick in the CHL euro draft and was taken by the Moncton Wildcats who are among contenders this season coming. What kind o numbers do you think he'll end up with in junior? He's eligible for the 2014 NHL draft.

Thanks in advance for any information.

Last edited:

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
His teammate Jaskin has apparently been lights out but I look forward to seeing how Barbashev will perform. He is listed as 6'3 185 if that is the correct size he should be getting strongly considered for a top 10 draft position.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
His teammate Jaskin has apparently been lights out but I look forward to seeing how Barbashev will perform. He is listed as 6'3 185 if that is the correct size he should be getting strongly considered for a top 10 draft position.

Considering that there is only about 10 guys who are draft-eligible and 6-foot-3, you're absolutely right.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
ahahahaha

Scouts: "Barbashev no longer top-10 eligible; not 6'3."

There must be something wrong with you if didn't understand what I was trying to say. What's more intriguing if you were a scout, a 5'11 ( previous listing of Barbashev) center with elite skills or one 6'3 with those same abilities?

eli J

Claw Machine broke
Nov 14, 2010
Moncton, NB
Can't wait to see him in action. Buddy of mine went to a preseason game and said he was fast and physical.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
There must be something wrong with you if didn't understand what I was trying to say. What's more intriguing if you were a scout, a 5'11 ( previous listing of Barbashev) center with elite skills or one 6'3 with those same abilities?

Maybe in "looking forward" to seeing him perform, you can first see him perform and then draw conclusions.

Otherwise this is yet another in a series of sensational hfboards posts that follow the same old reductive formula. Skill + Size = OMFG

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site

Will he put up better numbers than Mackinnon?

lavoy

Nov 3, 2011

MacKinnon put up a 1.34 PPG while missing some games due to injury/tournaments... Barb probably won't make the Russian WJC team so he's more likely to play full season. If he could equal MacKinnon's pace that would be 91 points which is unlikely with the style that Flynn plays.... But the Moose had #1 pick of their own in Voracek put up 86 I believe, so not out of the question.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008

I don't believe so simply because it is his first season in the Q so there will be obvious adjustment time, whereas MacKinnon has already played a year in the league and went deep into the playoffs. It depends on who he is playing with of course, I'm not sure I would consider him a better prospect than Grigorenko was last year so if he gets around the same numbers as Grigo did last year his season would be considered successful.

Maybe in "looking forward" to seeing him perform, you can first see him perform and then draw conclusions.

Otherwise this is yet another in a series of sensational hfboards posts that follow the same old reductive formula. Skill + Size = OMFG

That's not necessarily true in this case since I am not talking about two prospects but rather one. If retaining the same skills a 6'3 Barbashev would certainly be more sought after than a 5'11 Barbashev. As much as it may not be a big factor to some people here, to scouts size matters. A 6 feet Rocco Grimaldi easily goes top 5 at least rather than second round. Same applies to many other smaller players.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
Slow down folks....let's not overhype this kid.:help:

While Barbashev has very good potential, he's not on a Nathan MacKinnon level. If any young Russians are to be compared to MacKinnon, its Buchnevich and Nichushkin.

pouskin74*

actually i think he might end up better than anyone else in 2014 draft.

Eugene85

Jan 25, 2010
Russia
While Barbashev has very good potential, he's not on a Nathan MacKinnon level. If any young Russians are to be compared to MacKinnon, its Buchnevich and Nichushkin.
Let's not overhype Nichushkin and Buchnevich:) They are good but they are not better than Ivan and Ivan is younger, he is almost 96 born. I'd say we have a group of elite 95-players: Barbashev, Buchnevich, Tolchinsky, Goldobin(Why everyone forget this kid? He is damn good!) Nichushkin, Zadorov, Serebryakov. I think they are all on the same level and only time can tell who is better.

WildcatMapleLeafs28

Jun 30, 2009
Atlantic Canada
Barbashev has been absolutely great since arriving in Moncton. He and Jaskin prove to be a force out there and teams are going to hate playing against this duo! Not only are they goal scorers but also very physical players who choose to go through their opponent rather than around them. Unlike many european players , there not perimeter players. I say they're going to be the best euro duo in the QMJHL behind Grigorenko/Kucherov in Quebec. Jaskin finished the pre-season with 5 goals and 3 assists for 8 points in 4 games. Barbashev with 2 goals , 2 assists for 4 points in 2 games. This is going to be a fun year here in Moncton! :handclap:

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Barbashev has been absolutely great since arriving in Moncton. He and Jaskin prove to be a force out there and teams are going to hate playing against this duo! Not only are they goal scorers but also very physical players who choose to go through their opponent rather than around them. Unlike many european players , there not perimeter players. I say they're going to be the best euro duo in the QMJHL behind Grigorenko/Kucherov in Quebec. Jaskin finished the pre-season with 5 goals and 3 assists for 8 points in 4 games. Barbashev with 2 goals , 2 assists for 4 points in 2 games. This is going to be a fun year here in Moncton! :handclap:

What's the deal with Sorenson? Quebec can't keep 3 imports correct?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad