C Henri Nikkanen - JYP, FIN JRS (2019, 113th, WPG)

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Central Scouting has him ranked as the 21st best Euro in this draft... I think he's way better than that.

One of the most underrated players in this draft.

After the Turcotte, Cozens, Dach, Zegras, Krebs tier of centers, he's in the next tier of centers, and might be towards the front of that tier.

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL

After the Turcotte, Cozens, Dach, Zegras, Krebs tier of centers, he's in the next tier of centers, and might be towards the front of that tier.
I'm a fan of him as far as potential middle-six centers in the draft go but who would he be in front of between McMichael, Newhook, Suzuki?
Unless you're suggesting the next tier is considerably bigger than the first one.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I'm a fan of him as far as potential middle-six centers in the draft go but who would he be in front of between McMichael, Newhook, Suzuki?

I forgot Newhook. Newhook is in that first tier I named.

I think Nikkanen is in a tier with players like McMichael and Suzuki.

ijuka

May 14, 2016

Just how? His actual skillset is rather lacking with no standout tools to speak of. He's just a lukewarm, ok "maybe" 3rd line center at best with mediocre skating and no standout abilities. His production's also been very mediocre this season.

I think comparing him to someone like McMichael is a direct insult to McMichael.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Just how? His actual skillset is rather lacking with no standout tools to speak of. He's just a lukewarm, ok "maybe" 3rd line center at best with mediocre skating and no standout abilities. His production's also been very mediocre this season.

Thats your opinion.

I think he projects as a middle six center with a good two-way game, and average tools across the board. Thats a first round pick in a weak draft, like this one.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Thats your opinion.

I think he projects as a middle six center with a good two-way game, and average tools across the board. Thats a first round pick in a weak draft, like this one.
First round pick???

I think at the same age he's someone I like less than Aarne Talvitie, who was a 6th rounder. What on earth does he have that makes him a first rounder?

And sheesh, it's not just my opinion he's not a first rounder, actually you seem to be literally the only one who thinks so. His skating's mediocre, hands not noteworthy. He makes some good(not amazing) passes sometimes and has an okay overall game. This season's very disappointing, a clear downwards trend -> not good.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Thats your opinion.

I went back and re-watched some Hlinka games and I liked him a lot, so I don’t think you are crazy here.

Guy skates well for a guy who is 6’2” and I think he has some pretty good hands... I can see the appeal with him for sure.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
Nikkanen hasn't been able to crack one of the worst forward groups in Liiga and his production in A juniors is very underwhelming, also he's been injured for nearly two months. Just absolutely awful season for him.

Nikkanen kinda reminds me of Julius Nättinen, not in a good way.

If you want to dark horse big center from Finland for this draft, Juuso Pärssinen is the name to follow.

Reactions: NotProkofievian

JoukoPouko

I think Nikkanen has the tools to become a solid No. 2 center but he's having an awful season which makes him very risky and probably pushes him to 3rd round. I would be willing to gamble on him in the 2nd round, though.

Pärssinen, on the other hand, is a safe bet to become a No. 4 center in the NHL but I don't see much upside beyond that. Perhaps a defensive No. 3 if things fall perfectly.

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
I've liked him. I think he is a 3rd or 4th round pick atm. I just hope he gets healthy soon. It would be nice to hear what is the injury.

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
Canes and Winnipeg are becoming Finnish favorites. Imagine if Nikkanen could become better and play center between Vesalainen and Laine in the second or first line? I mean Little is not a masterful player by any means. There is a huge possibility to take his spot in 1-2 years.

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
Same thing here as with Leevi Aaltonen, two fellow Mikkeli guys seem to be struggling. I know he has been injured for a long time like Ikonen, but has anyone seen Nikkanen play this year?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad