C Hendrix Lapierre - (2020, 22nd, WSH)

Baaaaaaaaaaaaah

Sponsor
Aug 16, 2015
I’m all for cheering for Lap to shake off his injuries, have a great season, and go high in the draft. However, fact is he is a bandaid and a perennial underperformer. I know he’s a playmaker, but his shot concerns me as does his historical lack of goal scoring. I’d be very wary taking him top 15 from a health perspective alone.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
I’m all for cheering for Lap to shake off his injuries, have a great season, and go high in the draft. However, fact is he is a bandaid and a perennial underperformer. I know he’s a playmaker, but his shot concerns me as does his historical lack of goal scoring. I’d be very wary taking him top 15 from a health perspective alone.
How is Lapierre a perennial underperformer? If anything he's elevated his game on the big stage, such as at last year's Hlinka Gretzky.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Perennial underperformer? He was arguably the best player at the Hlinka, had a good rookie season and was a 1st overall pick in the Q.

He had one average and injury riddled season

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Barzal showed at the junior level that he could beat goalies at that level, he just was reluctant to shoot.

Lapierre can't beat goalies at the junior level and is reluctant to shoot.
I don't think you really know what you're talking about... 3/4 of Barzals seasons in junior were goal totals of 12, 14 and 10....Lapierre actually had a better gpg in his rookie season and last season was a complete write off.

There were very real concerns of Barzals ability to score goals, but the reality is that players of his and Lapierre's talent can absolutely find ways to score.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I don't think you really know what you're talking about... 3/4 of Barzals seasons in junior were goal totals of 12, 14 and 10....Lapierre actually had a better gpg in his rookie season and last season was a complete write off.

There were very real concerns of Barzals ability to score goals, but the reality is that players of his and Lapierre's talent can absolutely find ways to score.

Yeah, I know what I'm talking about because I watched both of them play. Barzal didn't -want- to shoot, but showed when he did shoot that he could actually beat the goalie.. the frustration was that he wouldn't shoot.

Lapierre has the tendency to not want to shoot, but also showed when he does shoot, that he can't beat junior goalies with it. So it's not a threat, at all..

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Yeah, I know what I'm talking about because I watched both of them play. Barzal didn't -want- to shoot, but showed when he did shoot that he could actually beat the goalie.. the frustration was that he wouldn't shoot.

Lapierre has the tendency to not want to shoot, but also showed when he does shoot, that he can't beat junior goalies with it. So it's not a threat, at all..
Weird that he can't beat goalies yet scored goals at a better rate than Barzal during his healthy season. He has no trouble scoring goals when he wants to.

Baaaaaaaaaaaaah

Sponsor
Aug 16, 2015
Perennial underperformer? He was arguably the best player at the Hlinka, had a good rookie season and was a 1st overall pick in the Q.

He had one average and injury riddled season

28th in Q points since 2010 in his D-1 (15th in PPG for >10 games). I would say that's pretty darn average for a 1st OV.

Passchendaele

Dec 11, 2006
Weird that he can't beat goalies yet scored goals at a better rate than Barzal during his healthy season. He has no trouble scoring goals when he wants to.
What's the excuse for two goals in 19 games? Injuries? They sure didn't seem to harm his playmaking.

simonedvinsson

May 26, 2020
What's the excuse for two goals in 19 games? Injuries? They sure didn't seem to harm his playmaking.
Injuries, yes. He was playing like someone trying not to get hurt, so he wasn’t going into high traffic areas where a lot of goals are scored. As a playmaker, he could skate the perimeter a bit more.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Injuries yes. Also he's not a goal scorer but doesn't mean he wouldn't go on a small goal streak somewhere in a bigger sample size to bring him back up. Barzal as a 19 year old only scored 10 goals in 48 games...

Reactions: alexislafreniere

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
28th in Q points since 2010 in his D-1 (15th in PPG for >10 games). I would say that's pretty darn average for a 1st OV.
1. I don't think you know what perennial means

2. 15th really isn't bad and definitely doesn't scream underachiever. It was just average and he was never expected to be a massive point producer

Baaaaaaaaaaaaah

Sponsor
Aug 16, 2015
1. I don't think you know what perennial means

2. 15th really isn't bad and definitely doesn't scream underachiever. It was just average and he was never expected to be a massive point producer

A 1OV wasn’t expected to be a massive point producer? If I don’t know the definition of perennial I would say you don’t know the definition of underachieving.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
A 1OV wasn’t expected to be a massive point producer? If I don’t know the definition of perennial I would say you don’t know the definition of underachieving.
Perennial suggests he underachieves everywhere he goes and every season, which is false.

And yes he was not expected to be a massive star. It was a very down year for the Q draft that season.

For example all three of Laf, Poulin and Pelletier were viewed as better prospects than him the season prior (arguably Parent as well). He could have gone 5th overall if he was a 2017 pick.

Him scoring ~ppg as a rookie was pretty much exactly what was expected of him. He scored just short of the same pace as someone like Byfield... was he an underachiever ad well?

I don't know why you'd chime in on this thread if you don't know the history.

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
I've seen worst as 1st overall in Olivier Archambault (2009). lol -- Seriously, he is a question mark regarding both health and ability to score goals. He is a dynamic skater but he might be one-dimensional. Great for a team looking for a Boom or Bust elite playmaker.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Why are you letting facts get in the way of a strange argument.

Is Hendrix going to be the next Ovi...of course not but he is going to be an excellent NHL player if he can find health.

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
His goal tonight. Stephane Leroux of RDS tweeted that at least 35 NHL scouts were in attendance for this game.

Yes it was a good chance for them to also see Dawson Mercer and Mavrik Bourque in pre season action. These two teams will also kick off their regular season against each other on October 2nd.

Reactions: Dominance

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad