C Hayden McCool - Windsor Spitfires, OHL (2015 undrafted)

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
Height: 6'2"
Weight: 196lbs
Nationality: Canadian

Scouting report:
Prototypical power forward: skates well, goes hard to the net, chips in down low, and causes havoc in front of the net. Aggressive on the forecheck. Uses his large frame to his advantage; able to bully his way around the ice. (Curtis Joe, EP 2014)

High draft pick in the 2013 OHL priority draft just behind Crouse.

Has a similar build and scouting reports suggest he plays a similar 'heavy' game. He was drafted by Niagara and traded through the year.

Does anyone have any more information on this kid?, was he stuck on a bad Windsor team (-28) does he have the late bloomer tag?

I always like to scout out the future Benn's , Lucic's and saw this kid as a high OHL pick that is dragging his heels a bit and not talked about much in the upcoming draft.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
I hope whenever he scores he taunts the opposition by blowing through his lips and saying "Stay Frosty" as he skates by their bench.

Mit Yarrum

HoF Turd Shiner
Apr 1, 2010
What a name. Wow.

Badass McAwesome.

EDIT: last name of course. Hayden sucks, but it doesn't matter when your last name is McCool.

H3ckt1k

Jan 9, 2015
I went to school with this guy, so weird seeing him up for the draft now

swissexpert

Sep 21, 2009
hoped he'd be a highly touted '17 Draftee whose name we'll here for years to come. Now I'm disappointed, doubt he'll get drafted at all sadly.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
Not much ink spilled on him. Here's a 1 game scouting report from Hockey Prospectus dating back to January:

http://www.hockeyprospectus.com/smith-around-the-ohl-crouse-salituro-and-more/

Characteristics

Skating (Speed/edges/technique/etc)

Hayden displays smooth strides. Very technical skating style. He looks good when skating. He does not possess a high level of speed unless given ample space and time to accelerate. He does not break away from other skaters or beat defenders wide. He does not close in on players when in the attacking and defending zones.

Shooting (Slap/wrist/backhand, General strength, proclivities, etc)

Hayden scored a nice goal receiving the pass and showing patience then scoring in the top of the net. It was a fast accurate shot. There unfortunately were not any other opportunities to evaluate his shooting.

Puck Skills

Hayden struggles when carrying the puck. Gets stick checked often and lost the puck in open ice on more than one occasion. The passes are crisp and on target. Easily received by his teammates. There is very little creativity in his game. Hayden does not possess the skills to beat defenders one-on-one.

Smarts (vision, defensive play, ability to stick in system, etc.)

Gets power play and penalty kill time. Plays in front of the net on the power play and is used to provide traffic. When parked in front of the net he is delayed in following the cross ice and D to D passes, often allowing the goalie to have a full view of the puck. He would be better suited as a low post player. He is positionally sound – always in the right spot. It was easy to find Hayden on the ice.

Physicality

For a large frame, it would be nice to see Hayden engage along the boards more often and press on players. With his skating ability there is an opportunity for Hayden to bring a physical and exhausting forecheck on opposing defenders. An opportunity not used.

General Assessment

Hayden looks good on the ice and on paper. He does not have the puck skills or sense to be a productive offensive player. With a long development in the right system he could become a good shut down winger. Playing 10-12 minutes a night, Hayden projects as a bottom 6 Minor league player. He will play as an average junior then take 4 years of minor hockey before the hockey sense is developed enough for him to attempt to make an NHL roster. He rates as a Tier VI player for the 2015 draft, a seventh rounder at best.

Ringing Iron

May 8, 2011
Very vanilla player....has all of the physical tools but just not a lot of determination or aggressiveness in his game to maximize his tools.

He's an okay OHLer but I don't see a lot of pro upside.

pylero

gone abs gone
Jan 4, 2014
Montreal
Going undrafted must not be so cool for McCool, how do you guys think he will fare next year ? Do you see a team pitching him an invite for their development camp this summer ?

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
McCool has the potential to be an NHLer, just needs more consistency in his game. He has the size (6'3 200ish), he has the offensive tools, and he certainly has the physical game, but he lacks the everyday "I'm going for it" approach. Some games, he was one of the best on the ice, both offensively and with the body. He'd stick up for teammates, throw you off your game, and crash the net looking for pucks. In other games, you'd never know he was in the lineup. This year, I expect he'll get big minutes with Windsor and prove people wrong. At least, I'm hoping he will.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad