C Greg Chase - Victoria Royals, WHL (2013, 188th overall, Edmonton)

R S

Sep 18, 2006
People need to keep an eye on him. Has played in one pre-season game for the Hitmen so far, posting 2 assists, a +1 rating and 7 PIMs in the game.

He also had a fantastic 16 year old season for them last year with 28 points in 60 games.

He's the nephew of former NHLer and WHLer Kelly Chase, so that also helps his case.

I was lucky enough to catch one of his games live when he was a 15 year old and the Hitmen were in Saskatoon. He didn't put up any points in his 5-game stint as a 15 year old two years ago, but he was still impressive. He put up 6 penalty minutes and hit everything that moved. He was involved in the play and it really set the table for him to play a key role in 2011-12 as a 16 year old.

I had the chance to see him a couple times live last year, as well as a small handful of games online. It's clear he had improved and was playing with confidence last season. In 60 games with the Hitmen last year he put up 28 points, a +2 rating and 41 penalty minutes.

I'm not the only one expecting big things from him this coming season. He's the kind of player you simply notice when he's on the ice. He's a fairly good skater, has good offensive instincts, thinks the game well and goes out of his way to have a physical presence on the ice.

http://whl-from-above.blogspot.ca/2012/09/keep-eye-on-greg-chase.html

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
Just finished watching the game Calgary @ Vancouver.

Made a comment on my blog: http://hockeyprospecthandbook.blogspot.hk/

Greg Chase & Zane Jones - These guys go so well together. They play similar games, but I give Chase a nudge up because he is really smart. Both aren't the fastest skaters but Chase is a real smart hockey player while Jones has a large frame to work with.

What I really need to emphasis is his hockey sense. I think his hockey IQ is his best asset, he makes quick decisions and consistently finds open areas.

Aceonfire*

Chase has been traded to the Victoria Royals for Kanzig and a swap of draft picks.

Can't remember who it was but somebody called this exact trade.

I think he makes the WJC team now if he can start playing ASAP.

jgoud*

Chase has been traded to the Victoria Royals for Kanzig and a swap of draft picks.

Can't remember who it was but somebody called this exact trade.

I think he makes the WJC team now if he can start playing ASAP.
Yeah he needs to start asap seeing as they'll be picking the team in less than a month. Obviously it will increase his stock if he can do better, but if he can keep a 1PPG pace that should be enough to make the team for the role he will play. He'll be a 4th line grinder which Hockey Canada loves.

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
Wasn't he suspended internally at one point during this season.

GuillaumeLetsundress*

Doesn't seem like the kind of guy hockey canada will go for. Many other players that can provide his role to a certain degree

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Doesn't seem like the kind of guy hockey canada will go for. Many other players that can provide his role to a certain degree

Hockey Canada has never been shy to take players with potential attitude problems. If he's good enough to be on the team, he should be on the team. IMO Chase would be a very good option for the 4th line.

GuillaumeLetsundress*

Hockey Canada has never been shy to take players with potential attitude problems. If he's good enough to be on the team, he should be on the team. IMO Chase would be a very good option for the 4th line.

With ritchie, virtanen, morin all virtual locks. Not saying they all have attitude problems but they play the similar rough and tough skilled game.

Aceonfire*

I would love to hear why people believe he has an attitude problem.

He is well liked by his team mates and good friends with many of them.

His issue was with the coach/management.

The guy produced like a 1st liner last year but was kept on the 3rd line.

Same situation this year. On most WHL teams he would at the very least be on the 2nd line. They were giving him no PP time either.

He got upset with the coach, so they were going to scratch him for a game in Saskatoon where he had a bunch of friends/family in attendance.

He asked for a trade, so they sent him home.

The best possible thing for his development was this trade. The Hitmen were trying to ruin this kids development because he was an Oil prospect.

He played well in the SS last year and this year. He deserves a spot on the team.

herashak

Mar 24, 2013

Same situation this year. On most WHL teams he would at the very least be on the 2nd line. They were giving him no PP time either.

He got upset with the coach, so they were going to scratch him for a game in Saskatoon where he had a bunch of friends/family in attendance.

The best possible thing for his development was this trade. The Hitmen were trying to ruin this kids development because he was an Oil prospect.

He played well in the SS last year and this year. He deserves a spot on the team.

Tin foil hat conspiracy theorist lol.

Aceonfire*

Tin foil hat conspiracy theorist lol.

Yah because I am making all of this up right..:shakehead

Like I said, where are these reports of him having a bad attitude?

Even the Hitmen's GM had said he was going to be scratched for on-ice issues. He never said bad attitude. He isn't a toxic locker room guy and there is nothing to suggest that he is.

He just so happened to be traded for a Flames prospect..

If I have a tinfoil had then you have rose coloured glasses. :laugh:

Aceonfire*

:laugh: Riiiiiiight...

Think what you want. How does it make sense to play a ppg player on your 3rd line and give him no PP time?

Either they were hampering his development or they have horrible coaches and management.

Even with his "issues" he was a WJC camp invitee, SS player twice, and a stand out at the Oilers camp and earned an ELC. All of those point to him being a solid player.

So why would the Hitmen scratch him leading him to ask for a trade?

So yup, maybe I am crazy and maybe the Hitmen are just a sloppy organization.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006

I watch a lot of Hitmen games because of Sanheim and that's just not true. He was getting plenty of ice time and PP time.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
The entire "he was playing on the 3rd line" storyline is completely overblown.

That hadn't been the case at all this year. I've tracked the lines for every WHL team since the start of the season and there was really only a small stretch in late Oct/early Nov that you could make the argument that his line was technically the 3rd line.

He was in their top six for like 90% of their games.

Aceonfire*

I watch a lot of Hitmen games because of Sanheim and that's just not true. He was getting plenty of ice time and PP time.

I am trying to find the article that had his ice time broken down. It isn't tracked and I hate that about the CHL. Extra Skater going down ruined that.

Either way. I am defending the kids reputation. He is being portrayed as some sort of toxic player but nothing suggests that he is.

Aceonfire*

The entire "he was playing on the 3rd line" storyline is completely overblown.

That hadn't been the case at all this year. I've tracked the lines for every WHL team since the start of the season and there was really only a small stretch in late Oct/early Nov that you could make the argument that his line was technically the 3rd line.

He was in their top six for like 90% of their games.

Most of my argument was based off of an article. It was well written and Lowetide had posted about it. Trying to find it now.

At the same time though. Nothing I have seen or read suggests that he is a problem player.

I want to know where these rumours came from. Some WHL player's mom on twitter had said he was a problem also.

**Found one of the quotes**

Dean Millard: "I'm going to throw a name at you, just because a situation that has arisen tonight, between Calgary and Saskatoon. Chase Lang, the Hitmen's leading scorer, is out of the lineup, he's suspended. And the Calgary Hitmen decided tonight would be a good night to healthy scratch Greg Chase, their second leading scorer. Now either a deal is in the works, and they don't want Chase to get injured, or they are unhappy with this player and I can see Greg Chase getting dealt. Now, listen, whatever is happening with Greg Chase and the Calgary Hitmen goes back farther than this year. This is a guy who was an 85-point player on the third line last year, and starts on the third line again this year. They are mishandling this guy in Calgary, and mishandling a prize asset."

**Found Lowetides article**
http://oilersnation.com/2014/11/5/chaser

Last edited by a moderator:

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Most of my argument was based off of an article. It was well written and Lowetide had posted about it. Trying to find it now.

At the same time though. Nothing I have seen or read suggests that he is a problem player.

I want to know where these rumours came from. Some WHL player's mom on twitter had said he was a problem also.

**Found one of the quotes**

**Found Lowetides article**
http://oilersnation.com/2014/11/5/chaser

I don't need an article to tell me what I hear around WHL rinks when I'm at games, talking to scouts, team personnel and media. Chase just isn't always well liked. While a "problem" is hard to determine, exactly, it's common knowledge among WHL circles that he can rub people the wrong way. Heck, his uncle is known in the same fashion to some.

Chase's draft situation is a perfect example. There's a reason why he was only a 7th round pick and it wasn't his ability on the ice. Hell, I had him ranked as a 3rd round pick on my personal rankings that year and think that Edmonton got great value...but my ranking was just based on his abilities on the ice and didn't factor in his character off the ice and how he interviewed. I can assure you that those things are the reason why he wasn't picked until the 7th round.

Last edited:

Aceonfire*

I don't need an article to tell me what I hear around WHL rinks when I'm at games, talking to scouts, team personnel and media. Chase just isn't always well liked. While a "problem" is hard to determine, exactly, it's common knowledge among WHL circles that he can rub people the wrong way. Heck, his dad is known in the same fashion to some.

Chase's draft situation is a perfect example. There's a reason why he was only a 7th round pick and it wasn't his ability on the ice. Hell, I had him ranked as a 3rd round pick on my personal rankings that year and think that Edmonton got great value...but my ranking was just based on his abilities on the ice and didn't factor in his character off the ice and how he interviewed. I can assure you that those things are the reason why he wasn't picked until the 7th round.

I believe you. He very well can be jerk based on some of the comments I have seen about him. But even if a player isn't well liked, I don't see why he fell out of favour in Calgary.

Clearly teams knew something was going on at the draft. Calgary likely would have known him the best and didn't pick him.

If I am wrong, I would easily admit it. I just don't believe that Chase was entirely in the wrong here.

This feels like a WHL version of the Seguin trade.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Damn, called it 2 years ago he was going to be a legitimate prospect.

RS, can you take Pracey's place for the Avs? :laugh:

McMozesmadness

5-14-6-1
Feb 17, 2013
Edmonton, AB
I'm really exited about this trade. Can't wait to see what Chase and Magee can do together.

Also, I watched Chase close to 20 times last year and he was the heart and soul of the Hitmen.

He was a huge reason why the Hitmen were able to lure Adam Tambellini to the organization and the Hitmen rarely let them play together. Chase, despite being a regular on the top unit PP was more often than not given lesser line mates and roles at even strength, despite being their most potent offensive player and leading scorer.

There is some validity to both sides of the story. Chase was unfairly treated by the Hitmen and he brought some of that in himself with his polarizing personality. There is a lot of stuff behind the scenes none of us will ever know about and at this point it doesn't matter, the situation has worked out well for both sides.

jgoud*

Hopefully it doesn't take him too long to build chemistry with his line-mates and he can start producing ASAP. If that's the case he should be good to go for Canada.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad