C Grant Mismash - USNDTP, USHL (2017 Draft) -UND commit

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
watched him play growing up, but haven't seen him for a couple of years. Was always really good...played with the top Minnesota team year after year. Good size, speed, motor, shot. I think of him as an offensive winger who can score. Wouldn't call him a grinder type. High energy floater? Always on the prowl for offense...don't know if that has been coached out of him, or if that is part of his DNA. He always stuck out as a player, but there were a few other guys he played with such as Walker, Copeland and Phillips(all on the NHL "watch"list)who could keep up to him.

Last edited:

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
All the other USA kids have been getting bumps and praise, but it's been all quiet on the Mismash front, even with his 8 points in 7 games. Watching all the USA games this u18s, it's actually Mismash I came away most impressed with among the draft eligible NTDP kids, as pertains to NHL potential. He stood out right away, and watching him closely all tournament, it wasn't that close in my mind either.

He was more complete of a player than I expected him to be. I thought he was just a mucking PWF with a solid shot, and he is that too, but his hockey IQ and passing were very pleasant surprises. I expected him to be a good scorer type, but his soft hands and patience and vision with the puck really added an extra element. He seemed equal a passer as a shooter, and whether it was simply working the cycle or making a nicer pass, he always had a feel for when to pass instead of shoot, something many guys of his type fail at. Rarely was forcing either. I've seen his defense knocked, but he looked committed and engaged to me, no cheating, and that's all a player with his natural hockey sense needs do.

He just looked more pro than his NTDP peers. Down low in the cycle game he was a force winning puck battles and forechecking and was incredibly tough to knock off the puck. He had a really nice grasp on the cycle game on/off puck, but he also made some nice plays off the rush. I really can't say enough about his hockey IQ. And even his skating, which isn't great, seems above average enough for a player like him. Also looked right at home in the high slot on the PP.

He has a complete lack of buzz here, but he's a 1st round talent to me. I'd love to see what he looks like next to a higher end center because he is more of a complimentary type. Along with Tkachuk, given the lack of such players in this u18 program, I don't think his raw numbers do justice to his talent.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
FWIW, I always liked his game more than Bellows(played in the same town). Better skater. Surprised to hear that his skating isn't great. Always thought it was fast and powerful, but again, haven't seen him play for a while.

Magua

Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
It's funny you mention Bellows because on the Flyers board we briefly compared Mismash with Bellows as two guys with somewhat similar mid-size PWF builds and soft hands and goal scorer labels. We obviously don't think he has his elite shot, although he equips himself well enough, but he's more complete of a player on/off the puck in both ends and seems more willing to attack the center lane, especially off the rush.

To be clear, his skating did not seem a weakness at all to me. Better than Bellows. It looked "above average," although with some room to improve like all kids -- was a compliment. I just said it wasn't "great".....as in separation ability or anything. He does most of his work in the o-zone off the cycle anyway, and his feet I thought were pretty quick, even if he was just above average in stride. He seemed smart and never behind the play, so it was a non-issue.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
He is a solid two way player..doesn't get the buzz or credit as a lot of this team just didn't have that flash that people on here like to discuss. Mishmash should be a first round pick I don't doubt that anymore. In my eyes, he helped himself a lot with this tournament showing off the control he has on the ice and someone who can be a playmaker or a shooter dependent on situation. Evan Barratt was my top guy for the US team as he should easily go in the first round with how well he played all year long. Farrance was great as well he could slip into the late first if people believe he is only trending up. Overall some kids stepped up and helped their draft cause at this tournament, some others might have hurt it by not really looking that great out there nightly like Poehling, Norris, and Reedy. Expected more from them to be honest. Happy for Mosmash and hopefully he gets rewarded very early in June!

jnk96

Feb 25, 2013
At the rink.
FWIW, I always liked his game more than Bellows(played in the same town). Better skater. Surprised to hear that his skating isn't great. Always thought it was fast and powerful, but again, haven't seen him play for a while.

When you watch him closely, you can see he just doesn't accelerate very quickly and he isn't one who' says fast through the neutrals zone. Kind of an offensive-zone threat who needs a couple too many strides to get to speed and isn't overly fast (although he does have decent top speed).

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Came away very impressed by his hands and composure, he seems to be a very multi-faceted player. Reminded me of a bigger less skilled Clayton Keller.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005

I agree with most everything in that scouting report except for "he also does not have the creativity to be a top level play maker."

From my limited viewings I was fairly impressed by his vision and creativity. He's capable of dictating the pace of play and setting up teammates. I didn't see anything limiting his ability to become a high level playmaker at the NHL level.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
He was never the playmaker when he was younger. More of an attacking goal scorer. He can and will pass, but that isn't his main strength. I also don't see him being a C.

Magua

Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
He didn't strike me as some "top level" playmaker, but I'm not sure that's a slight; that sounds like a pretty high bar. I do think he's quite well rounded. Thought it was described well in the Last Word scouting report that he doesn't make mistakes with the puck and moves it effectively in the cycle. As I said before, his feel for when to shoot or pass really impressed me as a PWF type. I will say though, he made some really nice passes on the rush in the u18 games. Bet he would click very well with some high end skill players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad