C Glenn Gawdin (2015, 116th, STL; UFA signed by CGY)

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Have had the chance to see him quite a bit over the last year or so and figured he deserved a thread. He's a big, strong, meat and potatoes type of centre for the Swift Current Broncos.

He has a sound defensive game and some decent offensive tools. His skating is only ok right now, as he's a bit heavy out of the gate and has a bit of a bow-legged stride. Despite that, he's powerful and can really bring the heat once he gets going. He's got a hard shot but I wouldn't say his hands are overly good at this stage of his development.

He's got some nice tools to work with and his game reminds me a bit of Ryan Getzlaf. He plays in all situations, kills penalties, and even can man the point on the PP.

I would probably rate him as a 4th or 5th rounder for the 2015 Draft (I know others like him more than I do) so we'll see where his development goes as the year comes along.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Bumped.

Caught him recently and showed well. Safe to say he moved up my list a bit since the start of the season.

15 (14) – Glenn Gawdin – C – Swift Current Broncos – Gawdin continues to plug away as the Mr. Fix It for the Broncos. He can literally play in any situation you need him to and can often excel in that role. I’m comfortable with the fact that I’m sure other scouts and teams have him a few notches higher than I do as I admit he’s had a heck of a start. Could be due for a nice little jump following the next few viewings I get of him. I see him a bit as a poor man’s Getzlaf as he’s that style of a player.

http://whl-from-above.blogspot.ca/2014/11/2015-nhl-draft-rankings-second-edition.html

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
2 goals in the bronze medal game. Thread deserves a bump.

I see eliteprospects has him at 5'11 but he's clearly taller, maybe around 6'1.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
He is a real solid prospect and I really like his game

P.S....I haven't seen someone named Glenn for years and years haha.. Back in the 80's it seemed like a popular name.. great throwback name!

R S

Sep 18, 2006
#14 on my final rankings from the WHL for 2015: http://whl-from-above.blogspot.ca/2015/05/final-whl-rankings-2015-nhl-draft.html

#14 Glenn Gawdin

Team: Swift Current Broncos
Position: C
Shoots: R
Height: 6’0.5
Weight: 191
GP: 72
Goals: 15
Assists: 39
Pts/Gm: 0.75
PIM: 59

Player Analysis: Glenn Gawdin is a solidly-built two-way centre for the Swift Current Broncos…isn’t an overly explosive skater but has passable top-end speed…skating stride has power to it but his acceleration and footwork could both be improved going forward…seems to have shorter legs than other players his height which doesn’t help his skating stride…lower body seems a bit rigid at times with a bit of hip tightness…toes point a little outwards as he skates, especially in his acceleration…possesses an absolute rocket of a wrist shot with a smooth and comfortable yet dynamic release…has shown the ability to score from distance with his snapshot…slapshot also has power to it, including having a dangerous one-timer…despite his high-end shot he tends to be more of a playmaker…would obviously like to see him shoot the puck more to take advantage of arguably his best asset, the shot…makes his best plays when he keeps things simple…usually doesn’t try to over-complicate the playmaking game…executes passes in a sharp and crisp fashion…excels on the cycle game and seems to generate a lot of offence off plays coming out of the corners or off the walls…is extremely strong on his stick and wins a lot of battles along the boards…displays good defensive instincts and a mature approach away from the puck…reads the play well and takes care of his own zone first and foremost…not afraid to head down behind his own goal line and really work along the walls…has a good stick and disrupts passing and shooting lanes with regularity…his heavy stick translates well to the defensive side of the puck, too…is physical and plays fairly heavy, but isn’t a killer…will finish his checks but doesn’t run around looking to take anyone’s head off…good on draws and responded well when asked to take important ones in my viewings…despite his strong defensive play he hasn’t always been a consistent penalty killer in my viewings…has shown a lot of versatility on the powerplay including spending time on the point, the half-wall and also in front of the net which allows him to leak into the high-slot to shoot…along with playing centre I also saw him used as a right-winger at times this year, offering key versatility…coming into the year I had concerns overall about his “pure” offensive game…while his numbers have shown a big boost it is worth noting that he only scored 5 more goals this year compared to his rookie year, a bit of a red flag…the offensive production from Swift Current’s DeBrusk-Gawdin duo as draft-eligible teammates was among the best the WHL had to offer this year, accounting for over 25% of their goals…he scored or assisted on 24.3% of all Swift Current goals this season, good for 10th best among first-year draft-eligible WHL forwards…his 19 primary assists were good for 7th best among all first-year draft-eligible WHL forwards while his 54 points were good for 8th best among that group…Gawdin was the 5th overall selection in the 2012 WHL Bantam Draft by Swift Current…overall I think he is a solid, hard-working, two-way forward…he might not have the highest offensive potential at the next level but he offers versatility and some good tools…I have said that he reminds me of a poor man’s Ryan Getzlaf in the past due to his strength, two-way ability and offensive skills, but that is not me saying he will be an NHL All-Star or even a top 6 player…I would likely project him as a solid bottom 6 forward at the NHL level but he should show strong offensive growth in Swift Current over the next couple of seasons as he gets bigger, stronger and faster…I expect to see Gawdin come off the board some time in the 3rd round of the 2015 NHL Draft and would also rate him in that range, personally speaking…

Siignal

Apr 16, 2014
Berlin
Anyone more informed with updates considering he's 2nd in WHL scoring? What kind of potential does this translate to as this is his draft+2 year?

Sticks and Pucks

Jan 2, 2008
Anyone more informed with updates considering he's 2nd in WHL scoring? What kind of potential does this translate to as this is his draft+2 year?

It's actually his draft+3 year and he's an overager this season. Not sure what scoring 2 PPG as an overager means for him considering two of his teammates actually have a higher PPG. Usually, a 20-year-old player who was drafted when he was 18 would be playing pro hockey by now.

Reactions: Stive Morgan

NHL RankKing

Fantasy Guru
Aug 31, 2013
Hockeytown
www.nhlrankking.com
It's actually his draft+3 year and he's an overager this season. Not sure what scoring 2 PPG as an overager means for him considering two of his teammates actually have a higher PPG. Usually, a 20-year-old player who was drafted when he was 18 would be playing pro hockey by now.

Hi current PNHLe is 35 which means that if he makes the NHL in his prime that would be his max point total in a full year. PNHLe is an age-adjusted value so it makes it easy to compare draft-eligible players with guys like Gawdin
That places him 102 in the entire CHL

Also, Calgary now own Gawdin's rights

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Hi current PNHLe is 35 which means that if he makes the NHL in his prime that would be his max point total in a full year. PNHLe is an age-adjusted value so it makes it easy to compare draft-eligible players with guys like Gawdin
That places him 102 in the entire CHL

Also, Calgary now own Gawdin's rights

Sorry to go off topic, but is there an easy to use NHLe calculator online or somewhere that breaks it down so i can figure out stats for certain players?

NHL RankKing

Fantasy Guru
Aug 31, 2013
Hockeytown
www.nhlrankking.com
PNHLe is a stat I created as a part of my completing my Masters because there wasn't anything available that compared different prospects from different leagues. I never liked the NHLe stat because it doesn't account for a player's age with respect to other players in the same league.

Unfortunately, I don't have a list available, but I did create a free iPhone app where it is incorporated (the link should be listed below).
Here is an example of Gawdin's profile so you can see how any player has progressed. It's a bit rough right now, but I'm planning a major update in the next couple of weeks. Screen Shot 2017-12-26 at 9.57.18 AM.png

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
Gawdin lead the SC Broncos to the WHL Championship posting 14-18-32 in 24 games and winning the WHL Playoff MVP.

Guy had a monster regular season going 56-69-125!

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
There is one already, but that died after 14 posts back in 2015. - better to make a new one
(i thought there was one other, that i made, but i guess i was wrong).

After his monster (graduating) 2017-2018 WHL season for the Broncos
[reg: 56+69=125 +61 with 101 pim | post: 16+20=36 +7 with 40 pim]
he has played in the AHL. Had a decent rookie season, scored about 40 points
in 60+ games with 61 pim.

Had a decent start to this season, nothing special, but decent.
Of late however, he has been great; last 11 games: 6 goals, 10 assists, 16 points, +9
season totals: 10 goals, 20 assists, 30 points, +7 with 18 pim in 28 games.

Any Flames fans waiting/wanting him to be called up after his recent production in the AHL?
- is there room in your roster?

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
He’s definitely having a great year. And he’s pretty reliable defensively as well. I’m just not sure where the Flames would stick him this year. Mangiapane and Dube both look like the real deal and I don’t see either going back down.

There would be space next year - more likely at RW than C.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I could see him as a future bottom 6 Center. He’s quite physical as well as putting up points. No rush though

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
47 points in 53 games this season in the AHL.

Usually over-ager CHL players fizzle out, but Gawdin has not yet putting up two strong AHL seasons after his over-ager year in the WHL. Does he figure to play a role next season with Calgary? Is his projection a bottom six player or does he have more potential than that?

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012

Usually over-ager CHL players fizzle out, but Gawdin has not yet putting up two strong AHL seasons after his over-ager year in the WHL. Does he figure to play a role next season with Calgary? Is his projection a bottom six player or does he have more potential than that?

I love his potential. I was so damn shocked he was never drafted to the NHL and ended up signing a free agent deal. I really hope he can get into some NHL games soon cause I am very curious to see how he does.

I hope to hear from some Flames fans too to see what they can say about him and his chances to eventually crack the Flames lineup

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012

Yeah he’s probably going to bounce back and forth between the NHL and AHL next year. I think our organization sees him as a future physical 3rd line C.

He’s a lot more of what you want your 4th line C to be rather than a guy like Jankowski.

Beauterham

Aug 19, 2018
I love his potential. I was so damn shocked he was never drafted to the NHL and ended up signing a free agent deal. I really hope he can get into some NHL games soon cause I am very curious to see how he does.

I hope to hear from some Flames fans too to see what they can say about him and his chances to eventually crack the Flames lineup

The Blues drafted him in 2015? We just couldn't sign him as we didn't had a team for him to play on in 17/18 (the Blues didn't have their own AHL-affiliate that season).

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
The Blues drafted him in 2015? We just couldn't sign him as we didn't had a team for him to play on in 17/18 (the Blues didn't have their own AHL-affiliate that season).

Oops sorry my bad I forgot!! Shocking he went unsigned

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad