This kid needs to have a thread on him.

Position: Centre
Shoots: Left
Height: 6'04"
Weight: 219
Birthdate: 1995-04-26

Season Team GP G A PTS +/- PIM
2012-13 Rimouski, Océanic 9 8 7 15 13 6

A rookie this year in the Q. I talked to a few persons from Rimouski and they say that he is a mix between Ryan O'Reilly and Sean Couturier.

QMJHLfollower

Heart and soul
Jul 24, 2010
He's awesome. Big two-way center, very good offensively and defensively.

Will be a 1st round pick, IMO.

He's a guy I very hope the Leafs can draft him.

arsmaster*

Such a big kid.

How is his skating?

A very impressive stat line through 9 games.

tuckrr

Nov 28, 2008
Why aren't more people talking about this guy??

I've seen only 1 game (streamed ugh) and he looked good.
Great hand-eye coordination.
Good passing
Decent skating (I wish I could've seen more top-speed)
Not as physical as he could be imo

Any Rimouski followers care to weigh in? I might watch Rimouski all season for this guy.

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
From what I have seen Gauthier is a pretty complete player. He is physical and he is great along the boards. He's already developped a solid two-way game and has been producing offensively.

To me, he has all the tools. Has the potential to be selected in the 1st round.

tuckrr

Nov 28, 2008
From what I have seen Gauthier is a pretty complete player. He is physical and he is great along the boards. He's already developped a solid two-way game and has been producing offensively.

To me, he has all the tools. Has the potential to be selected in the 1st round.

Comparable to Backes? Kopitar?
(Potential-wise)

WildcatMapleLeafs28

Jun 30, 2009
Atlantic Canada
Definately a great all around player. He's a solid 2-way player that's contributing big numbers offensively. Decent skater, good hockey IQ and has a nice shot. He's a big center that is very strong on the puck. Would like to see him be more physical and use his large frame more. I havn't seen any signs of a mean streak either. If I had to compare him , I'd say he's a Vincent Lecavalier -lite .

He will be a mid-late 1st round pick. Any team would be considered lucky to draft him after #15. I think he'll be a darkhorse/steal in this upcoming draft.

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
Are we talking Getzlaf/Backes like upside if he reaches his full potential or is he more in the mould of Gaustad?

Obviously Getzlaf/Backes would be better, but if he's a late 1st and winds up being more like Gaustad, that wouldn't be to shabby either.

JeromeHP

Jan 9, 2003
Montreal
hockeyprospect.com
Are we talking Getzlaf/Backes like upside if he reaches his full potential or is he more in the mould of Gaustad?

Obviously Getzlaf/Backes would be better, but if he's a late 1st and winds up being more like Gaustad, that wouldn't be to shabby either.

he has 2nd line upside, wont be tough like Backes/Getzlaf. think of him as a poor Couturier

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I think he is going to be the best value pick regarding centerman to come out of this draft

Penguins23

Le Magnifique
Dec 14, 2006
NB Canada
I just wrote an article about him yesterday and compared him to J.Staal. I think that's a really fair comparison. I'll post the article when it gets published this week sometime.

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
Why aren't more people talking about this guy??

I've seen only 1 game (streamed ugh) and he looked good.
Great hand-eye coordination.
Good passing
Decent skating (I wish I could've seen more top-speed)
Not as physical as he could be imo

Any Rimouski followers care to weigh in? I might watch Rimouski all season for this guy.

I've never understood why this is often labelled as a deficiency in a player. I mean most player's can play more physical. He has height, doesn't mean he's a body builder. Size is good for puck protection and not being pushed off the puck. Doesn't always have to mean the guy plays a physical game.

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
I've never understood why this is often labelled as a deficiency in a player. I mean most player's can play more physical. He has height, doesn't mean he's a body builder. Size is good for puck protection and not being pushed off the puck. Doesn't always have to mean the guy plays a physical game.

Its not much of a flaw rather than wasted potential.

If Gauthier can develop into a good two-way forward that protects the puck well, skates well, and uses his size to protect the puck, all without being physical, that would be great.

But imagine if he could do all of that PLUS being physical!

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
Jordan Staal seems like a good comparison. I see in Gauthier a 2nd-line center that will pot on average 60 pts a season and will contribute on the PK as well as having a great net and boards presence.

But then again, we're only a couple of games in in his junior career. Let's see how he does after Christmas and into the playoffs. This could make or break his draft rank.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad