C Filip Chlapik - Charlottetown Islanders, QMJHL (2015, 48th, OTT)

Kanneda

Aug 10, 2014
Madrid
I have followed the first 3 games of the Islanders, especially to watch Sprong and I got really impressed by this guy and Kielly, both could be really solid 2nd/3rd round picks in the next draft. Charlottetown is definately the Q team to watch if you are interested in prospects for the next 2 drafts.
Chlapik would be a great prospect to have, C with big frame and great hands who stands out more because of his offensive skills than for his defensive work. Let's see if he could make the U20 team with the Czech Republic next winter.
He used to play centering Sprong (and with Mitchell Balmas on the other wing, interesting 2016 draft prospect) and when both connect is really fun to watch.
2G and 4A in 3 games so far.

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
Bump... Id say this guy is the least talked about potential 1st rounder.

What is everyone's opinion on him?

"My skating is my weakness and I know it," Chlapik, who is NHL Central Scouting's No. 17-ranked domestic skater, said in a recent interview. "In the summer I will work on it all the time. I will be doing a lot of on-ice work. Next year, it must be better.

"I need to improve my physical game," said Chlapik, who has 10 points in his last six games. "More hits and more going to the net. More shots. That's what I didn't do before I came here and that's what I need to do."

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/j...lapik--charlottetown-islanders-180915000.html

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Bump... Id say this guy is the least talked about potential 1st rounder.

What is everyone's opinion on him?

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/j...lapik--charlottetown-islanders-180915000.html

Very underrated for sure. He's one of my favorite prospects for this draft. I think he's similar to Sam Reinhart in many ways. Both similar size, very cerebral players who knows how to support the play and make everyone around them better. Neither is the greatest skater or very physical. I think the big difference between the two and why Reinhart was a top pick is that he had 3 full CHL seasons under his belt before the draft whereas Chlapik has only had one and Reinhart being one of the older players in his draft year while Chlapik is one of the younger ones. I think people are gonna see how good Chlapik is next year and I expect him to put up 90+ points. A very good team is going to get a steal with this guy if he lasts until the late 1st round. Hell, I wish he is still around for the EDM 2nd round pick but if he is that will be a major steal.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Really like Chlapik. A lot more than most others it seems, at least by a lot of rankings i see.

Has a really quiet positionally sound sort of playmaker game, underrated vision, really good in transition. Makes him almost seem like a better skater than he is because he moves the puck quickly up ice and into scoring areas as a passer. Not really "flashy", but effective. Sounds lazy because of the nationality thing, but he reminds me of David Krejci.

Seems to be really trending in the right direction. Early in the season i wasn't really impressed with him, but his game has really grown on me the more i've watched, and i'd say his game has really grown in general...a lot more confidence later in the season. Pretty solid end result for a CHL rookie. Could absolutely see him breaking out next year.

Seems to kind of get overshadowed by Sprong a lot, who definitely has the more eye-catching dynamic skillset. Think Chlapik has the more well-rounded and responsible game, but that understated style of play seems to be getting him a bit underrated imo. Someone could well get a steal.

BadBruins

Aug 10, 2005
PEI
Really like Chlapik. A lot more than most others it seems, at least by a lot of rankings i see.

Has a really quiet positionally sound sort of playmaker game, underrated vision, really good in transition. Makes him almost seem like a better skater than he is because he moves the puck quickly up ice and into scoring areas as a passer. Not really "flashy", but effective. Sounds lazy because of the nationality thing, but he reminds me of David Krejci.

Seems to be really trending in the right direction. Early in the season i wasn't really impressed with him, but his game has really grown on me the more i've watched, and i'd say his game has really grown in general...a lot more confidence later in the season. Pretty solid end result for a CHL rookie. Could absolutely see him breaking out next year.

Seems to kind of get overshadowed by Sprong a lot, who definitely has the more eye-catching dynamic skillset. Think Chlapik has the more well-rounded and responsible game, but that understated style of play seems to be getting him a bit underrated imo. Someone could well get a steal.

Not at all. Very good comparison in terms of playing style. High level hockey sense with a great feel for time and space. More smooth than flashy, but at the same time can't underrate that skill set.

Didn't have a great post season overall, yet still averaged a point a game. I expect a huge year next season from Chlapik, Sprong, and Goulet (who I'm surprised didn't get drafted though 7 rounds last year).

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
Surprised such little talk about him. Projects to go anywhere from low 20's to in the 40's. Have not seen him a lot but what I've seen he's been very impressive. Great 2-way guy but not the greatest skater out there. Seems like an O'Reilly clone on the ice to me and should be taken about the same spot as ROR was back 2009 as well.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Haven't followed him much over the past year but nice to see he is off to a terrific start in his last year of junior eligibility. In contrast to pretty much everyone else I had him ranked in the 1st round. Didn't have the best draft+1 season but Charlottetown was a tire fire from what I hear and Sprong didn't return until very late into the season, which made it hard for Chlapik to put up points as he is primarily a playmaker. Anyway, any Sens fan care to chime in on how he looked in camp?

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Haven't followed him much over the past year but nice to see he is off to a terrific start in his last year of junior eligibility. In contrast to pretty much everyone else I had him ranked in the 1st round. Didn't have the best draft+1 season but Charlottetown was a tire fire from what I hear and Sprong didn't return until very late into the season, which made it hard for Chlapik to put up points as he is primarily a playmaker. Anyway, any Sens fan care to chime in on how he looked in camp?

He had a really rough season/camp last year, from what I understand he didnt come in the best shape so I think expectations were lowered especially after a lackluster season. Apparently he came to camp in better shape this year from all reports, he looked stronger and his skating looked better.

http://www.silversevensens.com/2016...lip-chlapik-is-a-man-on-a-mission-sens-ottawa

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

He wasn't up that long but he looked really good, I'd say he was vastly improved over last year. He looked like an emerging David Krejci type to me. I was surprised he was sent back so quickly but that likely has to do with trying to get the numbers down to a something manageable for Boucher to instill his new system on the players that were most likely to have a realistic shot to stick around.

He is off to a really great start. Its nice to have another promising prospect.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
He wasn't up that long but he looked really good, I'd say he was vastly improved over last year. He looked like an emerging David Krejci type to me. I was surprised he was sent back so quickly but that likely has to do with trying to get the numbers down to a something manageable for Boucher to instill his new system on the players that were most likely to have a realistic shot to stick around.

He is off to a really great start. Its nice to have another promising prospect.

Krejci! That would be something wouldnt it... Not expecting that but I am glad he appears to be having a bounce back year. I was very dissapointed with his last season given everything I read/watched in his draft year I was legitimately excited about the player.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Krejci! That would be something wouldnt it... Not expecting that but I am glad he appears to be having a bounce back year. I was very dissapointed with his last season given everything I read/watched in his draft year I was legitimately excited about the player.

The comparison is not new, but he certainly reminds me of him..very similar styles imo.

Nov 16, 2007
in your head
He impressed me in his lone pre season game. Was hard on the puck on the forecheck, cycled well and dished it well in the OZone.

He also had good man coverage through the neutral zone into the Dzone.

Was only one game, didnt play a lot but I made sure to watch when he was on the ice and I really liked what I saw.

MongolKing

Mar 6, 2015
Glad to see he's bouncing back after a slight regression last season. If anyone watches him - has there been any huge improvement from last year?

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
I suppose it doesn't really matter what route you take as long as the destination is the right one. That said, he's in his draft+2, he SHOULD be dominating.

Anyone got any noteworthy players (mid rounders) who disappointed and then broke out in Draft +2 in the CHL?

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I suppose it doesn't really matter what route you take as long as the destination is the right one. That said, he's in his draft+2, he SHOULD be dominating.

Anyone got any noteworthy players (mid rounders) who disappointed and then broke out in Draft +2 in the CHL?

Francis Peron

czechcanadian

Dec 8, 2011
Ottawa

Dmirij Jaskin

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast

Mike Hoffman (Passed over, Michael Briere winner as a 20 year old)
Connor Brown
Ondrej Palat (Passed over, Drafted in his 19 year old season)
Tyler Johnson (Broke out in his draft +3 season)

These guys don't really fit your criteria aside from Brown, but they show that breaking out as a 19+ year old is not strange.

Chlapik was going to be a player regardless, I've been vocal about that since his draft season and last season. He was one of the smartest guys in the draft, and can read plays before they happen.

He knows where he needs to be before a play happens, and he knows where his line-mates should be before a play happens. Charlottetown had/have nobody that sees the ice like him (Sprong included, though Sprong has better physical tools).

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad