C Felix Girard - Baie Comeau Drakkar, QMJHL (2013, 95th overall, Nashville)

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
Resume:

-Ivan Hlinka Gold 2011

- World U18 Bronze 2012

- Qmjhl captain at 17 (had an "A" at 16)

The one time I have saw him play I have was blown away with his defensive efforts and determination. He was given top pk responsibilities at 16 and it came as no surprise to me when he cracked the 2011 Ivan Hlinka roster. The next season he was named captain of his team and represented Canada at the world u18s, yet went undrafted.

In his first two seasons he hadn't put up more than 21 points in 60 games, so I assume offensive potential was a large factor. However, he currently has 28 points in 31 games this season captaining a good Drakkar team.

Does anyone think he has a good shot at being drafted this year?

lavoy

Nov 3, 2011
For his size (looks about 5'10 180 out there when I saw him) with limited offensive ability it's easy to see why he wasn't drafted.

But with playing mostly 1st line center this season and is the best in the Q on the draw, he may be a 7th rounder or so if someone wants to take a chance.

puckfan13

Jan 18, 2010
Hard to think a guy with his character and drive won't claw his way up to pros at some point. I thought he would be drafted when he was on the spring U-18 team along with his leadership qualities. There's definitely been worse players in the draft before but his size with his subpar offensive production I guess he wasn't.

puckfan13

Jan 18, 2010
Still really intrigued by this guy, how are his skating abilities and motor? I'd definitely be considering him rds 5-7 based on his increased offense and glowing testaments to his character/work ethic. He obviously plays in a pretty small market but maybe there are some Q experts here. He was at Habs prospect camp last year, if Trevor Timmins had him bookmarked gotta think something is there.

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
Update: Drafted in the 4th round by Nashville.

He was also invited to Canada's U20 summer camp for the WJC. I'm still surprised how little recognition this guy gets, however I'm sure he will be a lot more well known after this season.

puckfan13

Jan 18, 2010
Hah.. as my earlier 2 posts in this show, I wanted this guy for the Oilers at some point in the draft. I don't think many people here are from Baie Comeau though... Would love to hear some more reports on him but I think Nashville got a terrific pick from the Q with Girard, Gabe Bourque ain't bad either.

Last edited:

broken

Jul 31, 2013
I usually attend a few games in Baie-Comeau each year. Girard is an energetic and hardworking forward. He found a scoring touch last year but most Drakkar fans were sure he was going to start scoring sooner than later. He is totally dedicated and will give his best every game, every shift. He's been the leader of this team for 3 years now.

Girard is underrated and may find a way to get to the NHL. Let's see if he can surprise and make the team for WJC for 4th line/13th forward duty.

Maybe he can be compared with Gabriel Bourque (NSH) and J.-G. Pageau (OTT) who are also undersized, hardworking, with an offensive touch and a responsible defensive game. 3rd/4th line potential.

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
He was an absolute beast in the playoffs. A player all the opposing teams HATE. He is a wrecking ball. I remember two great snipes he scored on at key moments during games against the Armada. He is fast and never stops working out there. Great defensive awareness and just an all-around pest. I see a bit of Marchand in him. Can't see how he doesn't make the show at least as a 4th liner.

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
Forgot to mention we can add QMJHL top defensive forward to his resume, beating out finalists Philip Danault and Frederik Gauthier.

shotvalley

Jan 18, 2010
Girard is known for giving 110% in every game but how his offensive game looks? I know he is never gonna be top 6 player, but does he look like he could play 3rd line center or is he more likely 4th line / AHL grinder? How good skater he is?

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
Girard is known for giving 110% in every game but how his offensive game looks? I know he is never gonna be top 6 player, but does he look like he could play 3rd line center or is he more likely 4th line / AHL grinder? How good skater he is?

He's a beauty to watch. He and Zykov are so good at pinning the other team's line in their own zone, cycling the puck. Today, late in the game against Val d'Or, they cycled the puck for a good 20 seconds, once Val d'Or took posession of it, Girard went after Val d'Or's D, took the puck back, and sent it back deep. Baie-Comeay once again cycled the puck down low to milk the clock. That was beautiful to watch the effort on that play.

Remains to be seen if Girard will be able to do that against much bigger and stronger D's in the NHL.

I wouldn't expect much offense from him. He plays the other team's top lines, plays on the PK. He's not terrible offensively but I doubt he ever puts up many points offensively. I see him as a Vernon Fiddler kinda guy.

Skating is good enough for now, not ultra fast but not a huge weakness either.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad