C Evan Vierling - Flint Firebirds, OHL (2020, 127th, NYR)

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Figured he deserved a page. Skilled forward for YSE who is expected to be a top 5 pick today. I know HockeyProspect.com has him 5th (and that is potentially 3rd among kids who are likely to report with Stranges and Perfetti being maybes). Skilled but skinny center, rumor is today is that he will go 2nd to Flint.

Daneurism

Nov 13, 2010
Good write up! His agility is really key for him. Allows him to operate like a small player in tight spaces.

TheWhiskeyThief

Dec 24, 2017
Starting to pick it up recently and have to wonder how he'd do if on a team other than Flint. Still think he can go at least top 15 though.

I only saw him super early, but the biggest issue I saw was that he didn’t use both wingers nearly enough, because Othmann has some skill but never saw the puck.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
Damn, he’s really not having a good season at all. Haven’t caught any games but I absolutely loved him in Midget.

What the hell did Flint do to the poor kid. He looked like he was going to be absolute dynamite.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
Damn, he’s really not having a good season at all. Haven’t caught any games but I absolutely loved him in Midget.

What the hell did Flint do to the poor kid. He looked like he was going to be absolute dynamite.
Climbing his way back with Barrie! I think he will end up between 25-60 and be seen as a fantastic value pick as soon as next season.

DontEverTouchMyPuck

Jul 30, 2018
Putting points up, maybe, but what about the mental/attitude side of the equation? Kid gives up on his team. Refuses to play and forces a bad trade? How does an NHL team trust him? Maybe I'm old fashioned, but how is THAT a "steal" in ANY round?

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
Putting points up, maybe, but what about the mental/attitude side of the equation? Kid gives up on his team. Refuses to play and forces a bad trade? How does an NHL team trust him? Maybe I'm old fashioned, but how is THAT a "steal" in ANY round?
Because Flint is a disaster and we’re probably not treating him right. If you have an excellent opportunity to play in the NHL and the team is destroying your development I don’t blame you for wanting to leave. Flint has been a disaster since it came into the league.
Putting up points is a good thing. But his defensive game is excellent. He plays with a mean streak and will not quit. Very smart player and a reason why he was picked #2 after Byfield in the draft. He outplayed Byfield quite often and was just as valuable to his team as Byfield was.

DontEverTouchMyPuck

Jul 30, 2018
Because Flint is a disaster and we’re probably not treating him right. If you have an excellent opportunity to play in the NHL and the team is destroying your development I don’t blame you for wanting to leave. Flint has been a disaster since it came into the league.
Putting up points is a good thing. But his defensive game is excellent. He plays with a mean streak and will not quit. Very smart player and a reason why he was picked #2 after Byfield in the draft. He outplayed Byfield quite often and was just as valuable to his team as Byfield was.

Flint is currently 4th in their Conference, 8 pts out of first. They play a tough game and can play with anyone.
Doesn't look like a dumpster fire to me. Just my opinion.

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
Flint is currently 4th in their Conference, 8 pts out of first. They play a tough game and can play with anyone.
Doesn't look like a dumpster fire to me. Just my opinion.
You fail to mention the four years prior. Last twice and seventh and ninth. Not to mention Rolf Nilson. I knew when he went to flint that it would delay his development.

DontEverTouchMyPuck

Jul 30, 2018
I was responding to the point that Vierling quit on Flint because they are "a disaster". I stated that they are NOT a disaster NOW. Presently.

If you want to go back a few seasons, then look at how Fint has developed players who went to the NHL Draft. In 2018, Dellandrea went in the 1st, Busby in the 5th. Last year, Koly went in the 2nd, Keppen in the 4th.

So tell me again how Flint ruins players chances to go to the NHL? And why every other good talented player drafted by Flint isn't sitting and demanding trades?

Last edited:

TribalPhoenix

Former TribalPhoenix
Dec 2, 2005
Toronto

Going to chime in here, since I'm an actual scout and have watched Evan play since he was in Bantam.

Stop viewing junior players as NHL players, and say he 'quit'. Remember these are kids, not grown adults getting paid. Flint and Saginaw have challenges with reporting for several reasons, but a big part of it is the fact that Ontario kids are going over the border at a young age and are far away from their families. That's incredibly taxing on their psyche.

Don't shit on a kid because he's barely old enough from his G1, living in a city far from his loved ones, and that just might affect his play.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
Going to chime in here, since I'm an actual scout and have watched Evan play since he was in Bantam.

Stop viewing junior players as NHL players, and say he 'quit'. Remember these are kids, not grown adults getting paid. Flint and Saginaw have challenges with reporting for several reasons, but a big part of it is the fact that Ontario kids are going over the border at a young age and are far away from their families. That's incredibly taxing on their psyche.

Don't shit on a kid because he's barely old enough from his G1, living in a city far from his loved ones, and that just might affect his play.
Here, here.

DontEverTouchMyPuck

Jul 30, 2018
I'll admit that it's hard to balance the compassion for kids being developed against the needs of a for-profit team that pays for kids development, education and living expenses ... while trying to satisfy thousands of fans who pay their hard-earned money to sit in seats, wearing their logo gear, and hoping to see their favorite team win.
I tend to value the "off-ice development" importantly as the "on-ice development". So far it seems he excels at one and failed the other.

Don't mean to sound so harsh, so I apologize for that.

I lived in Flint so have a soft spot for that city and the team. Just think it would be tough to find a hockey fan in Flint right now that would tip the scales more to the compassion side when it comes to Vierling, or one that doesn't think he quit on them. JMO

Last edited:
Reactions: Fenris

Daneurism

Nov 13, 2010
I don't think it would be hard to find a compassionate Flint fan for a 16 year old living away from home.

Reactions: Dominance

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad