C Ethan Lavallee - 2000 Born Canadian - 12 Year Old Giant

welcometothebigshow2

Mar 30, 2011
He definetly seems like the real deal, when reading the article, but who knows, there's a solid chance he can't skate…

R S

Sep 18, 2006
He definetly seems like the real deal, when reading the article, but who knows, there's a solid chance he can't skate…

Well the video shows some game footage, and yes, his skating looks to be fairly weak. With that being said, he's 12 years old and 6'5, so it's pretty unrealistic to expect it to be at a very high level.

bruinsfan46

Dec 2, 2006
London, ON
Way too early to know anything because he's literally a man amongst boys right now. And shouldn't he have started hitting last year?

cjm502

Bingo Bango!
Jun 22, 2010
Mid Michigan
Weird analogy going down, but hes like a great dane puppy that grows so fast he cant figure out to use his legs for a while. A year or two and his skating will only get a ton better.

welcometothebigshow2

Mar 30, 2011
Well the video shows some game footage, and yes, his skating looks to be fairly weak. With that being said, he's 12 years old and 6'5, so it's pretty unrealistic to expect it to be at a very high level.

Can't seem to open the video, but you are right, he has a ton of time to develop his skating before he hits the OHL..

bigred2point0

Jun 25, 2012
I'm a ref and i did one of his games last year and the only reason he stood out was his size. He's a decent player but didn't impress me that much.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
I'd suggest he do whatever he can to pack on muscle and make the switch to goalie.

...based on what? Goalies that big tend to have massive five-holes. Defense would make more sense for someone his size, but he'll definitely need to improve his skating.

Turrican*

How hard must it be for him? He can pokecheck a mile away hahaha

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
...based on what? Goalies that big tend to have massive five-holes. Defense would make more sense for someone his size, but he'll definitely need to improve his skating.

I guess :P There's just something cool about the concept of a 6'9 220 pound goaltender.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I'm always skeptical about these kinds of players. Right now he's literally a man amongst boys, we have to see how he does as his peers continue to grow and develop. Sometimes those advantages that a player his size has when he's 6'5 at 12 playing against kids that are 5'6 disappears when they're 5'10-6'1 themselves. Not saying he's not a player worth keeping an eye on, just that everything should be taken with a grain of salt for the time being.

stamkosisboss

Mar 27, 2010
Leafs Nation
If I was a 6'5 12 year old I would dominate a bunch of 5 foot kids as well :P Ive seen similar situations in my own hockey and these kids stand out until the rest of us hit puberty and then they just drift away into the background.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
Probably as much as the 6'7 middle school volleyball/basketball players (Knew a few guys like this) are prospects. Unless you're a phenom 12 is far too early too tell if you'll be a prospect or not.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
6'5 at 12 is outrageous. I think he's in the wrong sport though. Volleyball or basketball is much more suited for a guy who will without a doubt, be 7 foot or bigger. I can't imagine trying to skate at that height.

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
6'5 at 12 is outrageous. I think he's in the wrong sport though. Volleyball or basketball is much more suited for a guy who will without a doubt, be 7 foot or bigger. I can't imagine trying to skate at that height.

The kid could literally stop growing tomorrow. You can't predict that someone is going to be, for sure, any set height just because they're 6'5" or 6'4", etc, at such a young age.

I grew up with a guy that was, at least, 5'8" at the age of 8.. but, I don't think he's any taller than 6'4" now. Still a big guy? Yep.. but he didn't keep growing at a ridiculous pace for the rest of his growing years.

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華

There is such a thing for a volleyball player to be too tall, btw. You don't see a lot of guys taller than 6' 7" because even if you tower over the net you'll still need to do a lot of jumping and moving around. For really tall guys that can seriously take a toll on their knees and greatly shorten their careers.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
The kid could literally stop growing tomorrow. You can't predict that someone is going to be, for sure, any set height just because they're 6'5" or 6'4", etc, at such a young age.

I grew up with a guy that was, at least, 5'8" at the age of 8.. but, I don't think he's any taller than 6'4" now. Still a big guy? Yep.. but he didn't keep growing at a ridiculous pace for the rest of his growing years.
He's 6'5 and about to hit puberty, there's a very slim chance the kid suddenly stops growing.

There is such a thing for a volleyball player to be too tall, btw. You don't see a lot of guys taller than 6' 7" because even if you tower over the net you'll still need to do a lot of jumping and moving around. For really tall guys that can seriously take a toll on their knees and greatly shorten their careers.
This is true but nonetheless, my point remains. Hockey isn't the best sport for people of that height.

wedge

Oct 4, 2004
victoriaville
I don't think he'll amount to anything (you can quote me on that in 5-6 years if I'm wrong).

Huge kids who dominate other kids usually get caught up when the other ones grow up. We've often seen amazing prospects become suspect when they get older. And he doesn't even play against older competition.

I'd be more impressed by a kid who's 5'1, plays against older competition and still dominate.

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
He'd be best off to work on developing tremendous lower body strength, skating and puck skills over the next few seasons so in a few years when others his age have caught up to him size wise, he doesn't become an afterthought.

If he does become a Lindros like player, hopefully he learns from Eric and doesn't skate through the neutral zone with his head down.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad