Had him 5th on my list of who will eventually be the best

Hischier
Glass
Makar
Patrick
Pettersson
Necas
Vilardi

But could see him and Necas and Glass being the 3 best actually. But cant discount Hischier.... or Makar i guess

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
This hype is getting out of hand, he's probably a 50-60 point centre.

It is literally one guy who is repeating himself to get other fans going such as yourself who then enter this thread to try to guess lower production numbers same thing happened in the other one.

Last edited:

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
Never really thought Pettersson was good enough to be picked in the top-5 but I might be wrong. I just don't see him transitioning to the NHL with the same style of play and be a solid 1st liner.

Out of curiosity what style of play is that?

He is a few years away, everyone agrees on that, he needs to get stronger and gain weight which will help him play his game in the nhl, but that is a couple of years away.

Slimmy

Jan 3, 2009
GBG
I'm not going to completely rule out Pettersson scoring close to 90 points in a season. Today's NHL is trending towards a more offensive skill and speed game. Just look at some of the younger players. You got guys like Laine, Mcdavid, Matthews, Eichel, Draisaitl Marner. There is a clear emphasis of offense as compared to defense, and we will see more and more goals scored in the NHL in the near future. I feel like we are going to have more than a few 80+ point players as soon as these younger players start taking over the league. Not to mention, if you give Pettersson some elite offensive winger *coughsvechnikovcough, he can put up some serious numbers, maybe even upwards of 80 points (50-60 assists,20-25 goals). It might be a stretch, but it isn't completely out of the question.

Wow. Just look at all the expertise and hockey knowledge in here..

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Hate this pick

It's so solid, I have him as having higher potential as the top 2 picks.

Reactions: jd22

ijuka

May 14, 2016
He had zero matches due to producing higher rate than ever previously recorded.

For reference he outproduced Forsberg and Backstom...

For reference, at the same age Patrik Berglund had 1.37 PPG in the league whereas Elias Pettersson had 0.95 but go ahead and cherry pick... More recently, William Karlsson also outscored him when it comes to PPG.

The reason most of the best, rapidly developed players haven't produced as well in Allsvenskan at the age of u-19 is simply the fact that almost always, they were playing in SHL instead. Pettersson being unable to play in SHL should be seen as a negative, not twisted into a positive.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
For reference, at the same age Patrik Berglund had 1.37 PPG in the league whereas Elias Pettersson had 0.95 but go ahead and cherry pick... More recently, William Karlsson also outscored him when it comes to PPG.

The reason most of the best, rapidly developed players haven't produced as well in Allsvenskan at the age of u-19 is simply the fact that almost always, they were playing in SHL instead. Pettersson being unable to play in SHL should be seen as a negative, not twisted into a positive.

First of all, Allsvenskan was nowhere near the same level when Berglund played as it is today and William Karlsson played on the same line as one of the top scorers of all time, and was heavily outscored by him. Secondly, Pettersson would not have been able to play in the SHL last season or the season before even if he was better than Sidney Crosby, that's how contracts work.

Last edited:

bottomofthefoodchain

Feb 10, 2008
Stockholm

Berglund in his draft year had 4 points in 21 games. William Karlsson 4 points in 14 games.

Ah yes, those bums OEL and Filip Forsberg being stuck in Allsvenskan, never becoming anything more than your average Joe.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Berglund in his draft year had 4 points in 21 games. William Karlsson 4 points in 14 games.

Ah yes, those bums OEL and Filip Forsberg being stuck in Allsvenskan, never becoming anything more than your average Joe.

To the second sentence, yes, there are exceptions. Note the usage of the word "most" rather than "every". And defensemen are pretty terrible to use for comparisons with a forward.

To the first sentence, I compared them by age, I am perfectly aware that Elias Pettersson is a late birthday. Which I also clearly specified instead of using "draft season". I guess we only have Karlsson as a comparable if Berglund was playing in such a weak league at the time. At u-18 Pettersson scored 9 points in 25 games. Which is better than the scoring Karlsson at u-18 with 4 points in 14 games. But not -that- much better, when you consider that Karlsson wasn't even a very high caliber prospect and hasn't exactly become any better as a player.

Regardless, it appears you missed the main point, which was "him being unable to play in SHL can't be seen as a positive instead of a negative".

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
To the second sentence, yes, there are exceptions. Note the usage of the word "most" rather than "every". And defensemen are pretty terrible to use for comparisons with a forward.

To the first sentence, I compared them by age, I am perfectly aware that Elias Pettersson is a late birthday. Which I also clearly specified instead of using "draft season". I guess we only have Karlsson as a comparable if Berglund was playing in such a weak league at the time. At u-18 Pettersson scored 9 points in 25 games. Which is better than the scoring Karlsson at u-18 with 4 points in 14 games. But not -that- much better, when you consider that Karlsson wasn't even a very high caliber prospect and hasn't exactly become any better as a player.

Forsberg, Pastrnak, Nylander, Burakovsky, Wennberg, Rask?

Awful lot of exceptions. Allsvenskan has produced better forwards than the SHL the last few years, and it's not particularly close.

Last edited:

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Forsberg, Pastrnak, Nylander, Burakovsky, Wennberg, Rask?

Awful lot of exceptions. Allsvenskan has produced better forwards than the SHL the last few years, and it's not particularly close.
... I don't really see your point? Obviously most of the prospects are going to play in Allsvenskan because SHL is too tough of a league for most of them to play in. CHL produces most NHLers, but that doesn't mean it's a more difficult league(or a group of them) than SHL, either.

You might also note that none of these were top 5 first rounders, though Pastrnak perhaps should have been and, for the record, his production in Allsvenskan was far more impressive than Pettersson's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad