C Elias Pettersson - Timra IK, Allsvenskan (2017, 5th, VAN)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chuck Pode

Dec 23, 2016
Pettersson looked really slick tonight at the prospects game. I haven't been this excited about the team in a long time. What is this I'm feeling?

Knucklehead

Oct 18, 2002
Fort Nelson,B.C.
As for better prospect, very hard to say. I am biased but I would go with William Nylander but by the slightest of margins.

International
EP made Sweden for WJC and looked pretty good but didn't get points. WN didn't make team.
WN was best player at u-18, EP didnt go but would've been dominant as well.

About even.

In Sweden, Allsvenskan is the best league to compare.

AllSvenSkan Stats EP 41 point in 43 Games
AllSVenSkan Stats WN 27 points in 35 games.

This looks to favour EP. But William had 8 in 18 for Rogle then put up 19 in 17 for Sodertje. Hard to know why he didn't succeed for Rogle, but it might just've been a coach that didn't trust young kids.

Basically EP put together the better year stats wise. He did have higher scoring teammates though.

Meanwhile Willy struggled for Rogle, but then was dominant for Sodertje scoring 19 points in 17 games on a team that struggled offensively. If you ignore Rogle as an anomaly, Willy, if not, EP.

All in all, different styled players, very similar draft years. Almost identical as prospects. Willy has since proven the Rogle was an anomaly. EP should be a 60-80 point guy in his prime, in a low scoring league.

Good comments and I agree with your forecast for EP's peak production yrs in his prime I had thought 65 pnts at a minimum and 85 as the top for comparison so we were pretty close really.

Woll Smoth

Mar 17, 2010
Mississauga
I wanted to ask the question of who was a better prospect at the same age, but I didnt want to watch the world burn... Obviously, Nylander has exceeded expectations since he was picked (or he would have gone higher). However, who was the better prospect at the time they were drafted?

GO

Nylander was seen as a possible top 3 pick heading into his draft year and fell due to perceived character issues, changing teams (3) and size. His skill was always seen as a redeeming factor for picking him in the top 10 as the final rankings came out. Not sure how Pettersson matches up TBH, but based on reading his pre/mid/final ranking Nylander was always a top 3 talent heading into the draft.

Love

Feb 29, 2012
Nylander was seen as a possible top 3 pick heading into his draft year and fell due to perceived character issues, changing teams (3) and size. His skill was always seen as a redeeming factor for picking him in the top 10 as the final rankings came out. Not sure how Pettersson matches up TBH, but based on reading his pre/mid/final ranking Nylander was always a top 3 talent heading into the draft.

It's also a really hard comparison because Nylander's draft year was so weird. Bounced around from team to team and on one of them he dominated and the others he wasn't given a fair shot.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Nice pick. I can't even hate.

We were supposedly going to take him at 7, if you guys didn't take him at 5. We were trying to trade up for 3 because we thought you guys might take him at 3. I'm kind of upset because I think he's going to be the best player in the draft, and a legitimate 1C, but its a good pick, can't get mad that he wasn't available when we picked, thats a job well done by Vancouver, and a poor job by us that we weren't able to trade up to draft him at 3.

unless its a overpayment Benning wasn't ready to move the pick.
Botteril approached Benning in attempts to move from 8 to 5, it was a no go, as Benning stating "our guy won't be there at 5"

they had eyes on either Makar or Petterson. there was a chance he was going to move down to 6, since Mcphee wanted Glass, but nice try. Thanks for the good words.

vanarchy

May 3, 2013
Nice pick. I can't even hate.

We were supposedly going to take him at 7, if you guys didn't take him at 5. We were trying to trade up for 3 because we thought you guys might take him at 3. I'm kind of upset because I think he's going to be the best player in the draft, and a legitimate 1C, but its a good pick, can't get mad that he wasn't available when we picked, thats a job well done by Vancouver, and a poor job by us that we weren't able to trade up to draft him at 3.
If you watch the Benning draft floor mic'd up video, he discusses trading down and then gets really nervous about New York taking him with their newly acquired pick. So I believe there's truth to this.

TheSnipeshow91

Aug 11, 2014
After seeing him live for the first time, I am sold on him. To add too the hype train, i I noticed that he was very good in the tight spaces, used his agility and hands very well. Really shifty, passes were very crisp. Vision and smarts are world class. He also had some good shifts with stukel, his speed created some good opportunities. You can't teach the things pettersson has. He is only going to get better as he gains some weight.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
unless its a overpayment Benning wasn't ready to move the pick.
Botteril approached Benning in attempts to move from 8 to 5, it was a no go, as Benning stating "our guy won't be there at 5"

they had eyes on either Makar or Petterson. there was a chance he was going to move down to 6, since Mcphee wanted Glass, but nice try. Thanks for the good words.

I'm not saying you guys were. I'm saying that us, NYR, were trying to move up to 3 to take Pettersson ahead of you guys at 5 because we knew you were taking him, but couldn't agree on a trade with Dallas. We supposedly had offered 7 and 21 for 3. Dallas would seem to have said no because they were worried that Makar or Heiskanen would not be available at 7, given Makar probably would've went to you guys or Vegas.

If you watch the Benning draft floor mic'd up video, he discusses trading down and then gets really nervous about New York taking him with their newly acquired pick. So I believe there's truth to this.

Thanks for the video, that really does figure this all out. Always can count on Benning to let the GM talk out. :laugh:

If Dallas takes our trade offer of 7 and 21, I think you guys end up taking Makar at 5, as from all indications of what people at the draft were saying, what McKenzie said pre-draft, our GM making it clear that we didn't get the player's we wanted, and now what Benning said here, we wanted Pettersson. It seems like Dallas balked at our trade offer because Makar was going to go either 5 or 6 to Vancouver or Vegas, likely 5 because it does seem like Vegas preferred Glass.

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
I'm not saying you guys were. I'm saying that us, NYR, were trying to move up to 3 to take Pettersson ahead of you guys at 5 because we knew you were taking him, but couldn't agree on a trade with Dallas. We supposedly had offered 7 and 21 for 3. Dallas would seem to have said no because they were worried that Makar or Heiskanen would not be available at 7, given Makar probably would've went to you guys or Vegas.

Thanks for the video, that really does figure this all out. Always can count on Benning to let the GM talk out. :laugh:

If Dallas takes our trade offer of 7 and 21, I think you guys end up taking Makar at 5, as from all indications of what people at the draft were saying, what McKenzie said pre-draft, our GM making it clear that we didn't get the player's we wanted, and now what Benning said here, we wanted Pettersson. It seems like Dallas balked at our trade offer because Makar was going to go either 5 or 6 to Vancouver or Vegas, likely 5 because it does seem like Vegas preferred Glass.

In the video Benning was going to move down to 8th, but was hesitant.

Patmac40

BESTPOSTERINTHEGAME
Jun 7, 2012
Halifax, Nova Scotia
His skating looks a bit "clumsy".

I think you can chalk that up to him being really lanky. His speed and edge work are really good but it just doesn't look as clean. Once his legs get a little stronger and he has a stronger base I think you'll see his skating be more aesthetically pleasing along with the same effectiveness.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
As for better prospect, very hard to say. I am biased but I would go with William Nylander but by the slightest of margins.

International
EP made Sweden for WJC and looked pretty good but didn't get points. WN didn't make team.
WN was best player at u-18, EP didnt go but would've been dominant as well.

About even.

In Sweden, Allsvenskan is the best league to compare.

AllSvenSkan Stats EP 41 point in 43 Games
AllSVenSkan Stats WN 27 points in 35 games.

This looks to favour EP. But William had 8 in 18 for Rogle then put up 19 in 17 for Sodertje. Hard to know why he didn't succeed for Rogle, but it might just've been a coach that didn't trust young kids.

Basically EP put together the better year stats wise. He did have higher scoring teammates though.

Meanwhile Willy struggled for Rogle, but then was dominant for Sodertje scoring 19 points in 17 games on a team that struggled offensively. If you ignore Rogle as an anomaly, Willy, if not, EP.

All in all, different styled players, very similar draft years. Almost identical as prospects. Willy has since proven the Rogle was an anomaly. EP should be a 60-80 point guy in his prime, in a low scoring league.

Elias Pettersson was a late birthday. He played U18 WC last year and had 8 points in 7 games. He was not eligible to play that tournament again this year. Nylander had twice as many points as Elias in the U18 WC at the same age, and had 10 points in 7 games in WJC the year after, compared to Pettersson who only registered 1 assist. Nylander played in SHL and AHL (and was almost PPG in both) at the same age as Pettersson was in Allsvenskan. So you can't really compare the two directly like that.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
It's only development so take it with a grain of salt, but this kid a legit high-end talent.

member 157595

I've said many times I love this pick for Vancouver and I stand by it. I didn't like the Virtanen or Juolevi picks for them at all, but this guy was the right high-upside player for them to take a chance on. Go big or go home.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
He is going to be a 1C, he plays on pure instincts and only special players have that ability. I also didn't realize how tall he looks on the ice, reminds of me Eric Staal when he's moving.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
I wanted to ask the question of who was a better prospect at the same age, but I didnt want to watch the world burn... Obviously, Nylander has exceeded expectations since he was picked (or he would have gone higher). However, who was the better prospect at the time they were drafted?

GO

Oh man why did a leafs fan have to come in here and compare one of their players to ours for **** sakes the last fan base I want in here is leafs fans.

What's more important was mats naslund or some reputable Swedish hockey figure said that he is already better then henrik zetterberg at the same age.

BloatedGuppy

Jun 29, 2007
Vancouver
Oh man why did a leafs fan have to come in here and compare one of their players to ours for **** sakes the last fan base I want in here is leafs fans.

That Leafs fan was perfectly respectful and objective.

It's not about who someone cheers for, it's about how they express themselves.

Krnuckfan

Oct 11, 2006
He is going to be a 1C, he plays on pure instincts and only special players have that ability. I also didn't realize how tall he looks on the ice, reminds of me Eric Staal when he's moving.

He has nowhere near the power game Staal does though. He might be among the weakest players I've ever seen on skates. Just getting bodied off the puck like nothing. There's definitely question marks in his game. He could just as easily be RNH lite.

TheLeastOfTheBunch

Franchise Centre
Jun 28, 2007
Toronto

What's more important was mats naslund or some reputable Swedish hockey figure said that he is already better then henrik zetterberg at the same age.

These Canucks threads are worthwhile reads up until you come along.

Anyways, think Elias will crack the NHL a bit quicker than anticipated. Not next season, but I wouldn't be surprised if he makes it full time starting in 2018. A couple of summers for him to put on 10-15 pounds before then

Roy Baby*

Sep 28, 2015
Phoenix,AZ
He has nowhere near the power game Staal does though. He might be among the weakest players I've ever seen on skates. Just getting bodied off the puck like nothing. There's definitely question marks in his game. He could just as easily be RNH lite.

Think that could have anything to do with the fact that he's a teenager ?

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC

You saying our 5th overall pick looks better than a guy who was passed over until the 7th round?

Craziness!

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Think that could have anything to do with the fact that he's a teenager ?

Even for a teenager ...

Come on man, don't try to deny things that are blatantly obvious even to his biggest fans. His skill and hands are elite but his strength and balance is elite terrible. He should be able to fix that but you can't deny it's there right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad