C Dylan Larkin (2014, 15th, DET) II

Birko19

Aug 13, 2002
Hamilton, Ont
Visit site
Dylan-Larkin-Det-640x425.jpg

Now that I've got to watch this kid play 5 games in the NHL I have to say, he's the best prospect we've got since Zetterberg, and if he continues to improve he's going to be the top star in Detroit in no time.

With that being said, he's not perfect and I have noticed some things he needs to improve, such as:

- He has God given skating/speed talent but needs to learn not to overdo it at times. This is what separates an elite player with wheels like Fedorov from someone like Helm. If Larkin is aiming to become the former then he needs to slow down and be patient at times with the puck. I think the times when he goes full force non stop is much more useful in a forechecking situation which has worked out great for him so far, but when he or the team has the puck he needs to slow down and focus on reading the play rather then force his speed.

- He has skills but not elite hands like Datsyuk or Zetterberg, I noticed that Larkin's skills are very good but without his skating/speed and hard work he would not be an effective player offensively. I would say even guys like Nyquist and Franzen have better puck skills at this point. The good news is he can certainly improve this aspect of his game, I mean he's playing with two of the best in the game when it comes to this so he can learn a thing or two from them. If guys like Helm can improve their puck skills then so can Larkin.

- His positioning needs work, I noticed at times when his team has the puck he does not know where to position himself, this also seems to be an issue at times when he's defending.

Other than that he's a superb hockey player, and I echo what joe89 said above me, if Larkin's puck skills improve to even the likes of Nyquist or Franzen, seriously watch out.

[NHL]2015020014-859-h[/NHL]

[MOD] Old Thread: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1606801

Last edited by a moderator:

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
- His positioning needs work, I noticed at times when his team has the puck he does not know where to position himself, this also seems to be an issue at times when he's defending.

Maybe the fact that he's playing out of position (on the wing) contributes to this? I wish we'd play him at center more.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Incredibly impressed by how he just keeps motoring on, shift after shift. I get how some are saying "he needs to learn to slow down", but the fact that he is skating like a man possessed for 60 minutes every game is a big reason why he has found a way to get on the scoreboard in each game so far.

KStorm

Stubborn Individual
Oct 13, 2014
Ottawa
thehockeysauce.com
Love this kid. I haven't had the chance to watch him play much, but from what I've seen, the elite talent is obvious. During the preseason, I was looking forward to seeing Pulkkinen step it up... even though he has, it's definitely been in the shadows of Larkin.

His decision-making and ability to manage his play will definitely improve with time. My guess is we'll see a lot of ups and downs as the season progresses, while the more significant improvements will come next year and the year after. His prime is coming soon.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
If this is Pulk stepping it up, I don't think he has much of a future in the NHL.

Not too many DRW players have "stepped it up" yet. Including the guy in your avatar.

Larkin and Zetterberg have been the two best fowards thus far. Nyquist is trying, he's working hard, but he's soft. Tatar has been virtually invisible.

Classicnamesup

MVP Backhand Slapper
Sep 13, 2013
Guru Meditation
Not too many DRW players have "stepped it up" yet. Including the guy in your avatar.

Larkin and Zetterberg have been the two best fowards thus far. Nyquist is trying, he's working hard, but he's soft. Tatar has been virtually invisible.

I'm just responding to the person who said Pulk was stepping it up. Maybe in the stat line, not on the ice

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
I'm just responding to the person who said Pulk was stepping it up. Maybe in the stat line, not on the ice

Yeah been pretty disappointed in Pulky. He looked so much better, more confident during the preseason. Perhaps because it was the preseason but he was mostly playing against legit NHL talent. I dunno he just seems lost right now, doesn't know where to be or where to go with the puck when he has it. Think that shoulder injury may still be bothering him.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I think Pulkkinen is going to be similar to Franzen. Hes going to produce numbers that make him hard to completely discount, but at the same time leaves alot to be desired in other areas of the ice. THats what I like about Larkin, hes not a guy that has to produce to be an effective NHLers, the production is just a huge added bonus

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Okay after watching Larkin just come out and fit right into the top 6 on an NHL team and control the play whenever he's out on the ice... I am going to say it. No-one here wants to say it, but I think Larkin is going to be ELITE. I think he's going to be the guy you absolutely build a team around. Yes, he's that good.

Bump this thread in 5 years if I'm wrong, I don't care. But I think he's going to be Detroit's "Jonathan Toews" in terms of importance to a winning franchise.

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
Okay after watching Larkin just come out and fit right into the top 6 on an NHL team and control the play whenever he's out on the ice... I am going to say it. No-one here wants to say it, but I think Larkin is going to be ELITE. I think he's going to be the guy you absolutely build a team around. Yes, he's that good.

Bump this thread in 5 years if I'm wrong, I don't care. But I think he's going to be Detroit's "Jonathan Toews" in terms of importance to a winning franchise.

Henkka and I (maybe more?) have got you beat there, but welcome to the club!:laugh:

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Update: the sample size keeps getting bigger. He's still at a point per game. He didn't even play with Zetterberg tonight, and he was awesome. Centered the second line, and they were really dangerous. Easily the best skater on the Wings not named Zetterberg.

What's scary is he's still making stupid rookie decisions. He wants to pass to his linemates when he has a shot, and he gets back on defense when he can still make a play offensively. I think he's just warming up. I'm with Dotter. I think he can be a first line center.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Update: the sample size keeps getting bigger. He's still at a point per game. He didn't even play with Zetterberg tonight, and he was awesome. Centered the second line, and they were really dangerous. Easily the best skater on the Wings not named Zetterberg.

What's scary is he's still making stupid rookie decisions. He wants to pass to his linemates when he has a shot, and he gets back on defense when he can still make a play offensively. I think he's just warming up. I'm with Dotter. I think he can be a first line center.

I agree. I think Larkin could be a very effective #1 C. I love his game.

He was one of the guys I liked for the Jets' pick in 2014 (at #9). I'm still very happy with Ehlers and think he'll be a top forward, but Larkin would have been pretty terrific to get too.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
small sample size still but there's no doubt in my mind Larkin becomes a star player in this league, haven't seen many players that can produce so much with so little every game at his age

Club

Mar 2, 2015
Calgary
I hope he keeps it up with the wings. The man has got speed. Could be worth the take next year in $ league

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
Honestly if Larkin only turns out to be an eventual elite #2C, I'll be greatly disappointed.

Yeah, he's pretty much already a good 2C. He's consistently one of Detroit's most dangerous forwards right off the bat. And the level he's already playing at defensively is astounding. Does anybody really think he's going to slow down a few months after his 19th birthday? He's got plenty of room to grow, he's going to be very, very good. I think he's got elite potential, period.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
His playmaking is highly impressive. Personally I think these last two games have been his best of the season, maybe because he looks more comfortable in the middle.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Honestly if Larkin only turns out to be an eventual elite #2C, I'll be greatly disappointed.

When I first posted elite #2C before that draft. I made a comparison to Ryan Kesler. If I were a Red Wings fan, I would be delighted with this. That's a pretty good player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad