C Dominik Kahun (2013 undrafted; UFA signed by CHI)

Chileiceman

Dec 14, 2004
Toronto
I was snooping around Elite Prospects and came across a German player named Dominik Kahun. He led the junior German league in scoring as a 16 year old this year. He's listed as very small but I bet the weight is out of date. It looks like he had a good U-18 tournament too.

Anyone know anything about him, and is there a chance he could get drafted this year? Does any CHL team own his rights?

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=71940

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
I was snooping around Elite Prospects and came across a German player named Dominik Kahun. He led the junior German league in scoring as a 16 year old this year. He's listed as very small but I bet the weight is out of date. It looks like he had a good U-18 tournament too.

Anyone know anything about him, and is there a chance he could get drafted this year? Does any CHL team own his rights?

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=71940

Well as far as I know Kahun has not yet been drafted by any CHL team, but that could happen today. Although I have not yet heard anything about him going to North America. It would be interesting to see him play in the CHL.
He is still rather small, but not necessarily weak. His stickhandling, passing and vision were very good the few times I have seen him play during the U-18 this year. But it is sometimes to easy to knock him of the puck.

Jacko95

Sep 19, 2012
As a German I'm always interested how our young guns are playing in NA so can somebody tell me how they play and how high they might go in the drafts (especially Kahun). Because his stats are looking pretty good right now.
So it would be real nice if somebody who has seen one of them live can give me an inside look.

TheOriginalSilf*

Kahun has shown that he is a good skater with quick strides. He has good hands and, for the most part, knows where he needs to be offensively. I've been pleased with his game so far this season (as a Wolves STH). I'd like to see improvements in his two-way game, but I'll keep a closer eye on him for the rest of the season. He also has benefited from playing with particular linemates that finish well.

As for possible draft position; I'm just spit-balling where I say he'd be a 3rd or 4th round pick?

Jacko95

Sep 19, 2012
Thanks for the fast answers, it sounds pretty promising :)

But what makes Draisaitl a potential 1st- rounder what Kahun don't has? Is it only because of the 6 months age difference? Because statistical wise they were pretty much the same last year and now Kahun is a little better even though he plays on a worser team.

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
Thanks for the fast answers, it sounds pretty promising :)

But what makes Draisaitl a potential 1st- rounder what Kahun don't has? Is it only because of the 6 months age difference? Because statistical wise they were pretty much the same last year and now Kahun is a little better even though he plays on a worser team.

Well a part of it is definitely the size issue, with Kahun. A lot of people are wary of players as small as Kahun. Unless he puts up absolutely ridiculous numbers he won't go anywhere near the first two rounds.
But of course the age difference or rather the different draft years are also a big factor.

Torts

Aug 21, 2009
Ontario
solid 1st year in CHL in my opinion, hopefully gets scooped up by a team in the later rounds (5,6 or 7). if not maybe he bulks up, gets a little bigger and has a stronger year next year with an improved wolves squad.

Jacko95

Sep 19, 2012
solid 1st year in CHL in my opinion, hopefully gets scooped up by a team in the later rounds (5,6 or 7). if not maybe he bulks up, gets a little bigger and has a stronger year next year with an improved wolves squad.

He might even get drafted earlier, Tobias Rieder had much worser stats and was still considered a steal in the 4th round, I think he will go in the 4th and have an impressive breakout year next season

TheNorth

Better Call Saul
Feb 16, 2010
Kahun and Kubalik, pretty good pickups by Sudbury
They definatly well be a big part of the team next year

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
He might even get drafted earlier, Tobias Rieder had much worser stats and was still considered a steal in the 4th round, I think he will go in the 4th and have an impressive breakout year next season

There is a chance he could go in the 4th, but I doubt it.
He is smaller than Rieder, and Rieder produced at a much higher pace in his draft year than Kahun did before he slowed down at the end.
The next year he kept his production up through the whole season.

Kahun was rather consistent this year, and even if he improves, I don't see him reaching the same numbers Rieder did, and I don't think any team is going to make such a risky at that point. Like Torts I could see him go in rounds 5,6 or 7.

But we will see. It would be really great if he were to grow a couple of inches, that could help him a lot.

Sanderson

Sep 10, 2002
Hamburg, Germany
Yeah, I don't see Kahun going higher than Rieder either. Rieder had better size, was scoring at a good pace in a pro-league before moving over and had an amazing start into his OHL career. He was ranked 6th in the OHL in the first central scouting list and was considered to be at least a second rounder, if not possible first rounder at that point. While he dropped a lot afterwards, it still doesn't compare to Kahun's situation. Rieder was considered a steal because he was supposed to go much earlier.

Kahun had a solid year, but at no point did you think he was about to go on a tear, reach the next level and be among the best of the league, something that Rieder was for the first half of his first season.

Jacko95

Sep 19, 2012
Yeah, I don't see Kahun going higher than Rieder either. Rieder had better size, was scoring at a good pace in a pro-league before moving over and had an amazing start into his OHL career. He was ranked 6th in the OHL in the first central scouting list and was considered to be at least a second rounder, if not possible first rounder at that point. While he dropped a lot afterwards, it still doesn't compare to Kahun's situation. Rieder was considered a steal because he was supposed to go much earlier.

Kahun had a solid year, but at no point did you think he was about to go on a tear, reach the next level and be among the best of the league, something that Rieder was for the first half of his first season.

Rieder had 9 points more in 7 games more, that not that much in the CHL. I didn't follow Rieder much in his draft year, so I can't say something about his overall play, but really, the stats aren't that much better. And Rieder was seen as a 2nd round pick (possible) so I think Kahun can be seen as a possible 4th rounder pick, but I agree I doubt he goes before the 5th due to size issues

Sanderson

Sep 10, 2002
Hamburg, Germany
Rieder had 9 points more in 7 games more, that not that much in the CHL. I didn't follow Rieder much in his draft year, so I can't say something about his overall play, but really, the stats aren't that much better. And Rieder was seen as a 2nd round pick (possible) so I think Kahun can be seen as a possible 4th rounder pick, but I agree I doubt he goes before the 5th due to size issues

I wasn't talking about how many points they had at the end of the year. As a matter of fact, I said that Rieder fell off near the end. The difference is that Rieder was far beyond 1 PPG for the first part of the season, scoring at the same pace as his teammate Landeskog, top ten in the league.

So not only had Rieder better size and scored in a pro-league before, but he also had been ranked very high and had shown the ability to dominate the OHL at age 17. What caused him to fall were questions about whether he could perform at an elite level over a whole season. At that stage of the career, a prospect who scores at a very high level for one half and a very low level in the other half, is likely to be rated much higher than a prospect who does consistently well throughout the season without being lights out at any point. One has shown the elite skill-level, stamina and consistency are easier to work at than jumping to the next skill-level.

I do think that Kahun will improve over the next year and he certainly should be drafted by someone, but I don't think you can get anything about his draft position out of how Rieder fared.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
Dominik Kahun had a great WHJC in 2014 and I really hoped some team would draft him, but it didn't happen. Last year he wasn't nearly as successful in the WHJC and "only" had 6 points in 33 games in the DEL as a rookie. This year he has started with 11 points in 10 games and is leading EHC Munchen in points. I hope with a big year NHL teams will look into him.

gifted88

Dante the poet
Feb 12, 2010
Guelph, ON
I was hoping the Habs would throw a late pick at him in 2013.

I always keep and eye on him and see that statistically he has been doing well this year. But how has he looked on the ice?

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I watched some DEL games this year and he has looked fantastic. His vision and playmaking ability is really coming out. He gets on the bigger ice which probably helps with his under-frame issues. Those same issues are probably why he wasn't drafted nor signed. But if continues like he has and put some weight on the offseason, no doubt he will probably generate NHL interest. The real question is if he's interested in coming over at all?

Last edited:

djscooter

Apr 19, 2005
I watched some DEL games this year and he has looked fantastic. His vision and playmaking ability is really coming out. He gets on the bigger ice which probably helps with his under-frame issues. Those same issues are probably why he wasn't drafted nor signed. But if continues like he has and put some weight on the offseason, no don't he will probably generate NHL interest. The real question is if he's interested in coming over at all?

When he played here in Sudbury I absolutely loved him as a player. Top notch skater and playmaker who is extremely creative on the ice. Hope he eventually gets a shot at an NHL camp.

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
I was hoping the Habs would throw a late pick at him in 2013.

I always keep and eye on him and see that statistically he has been doing well this year. But how has he looked on the ice?

Last season he looked like a junior player in a men's league, when he played in the DEL. From what I have heard he looked pretty comfortable and good when he was loaned to Riessersee in the DEL2.

This year he really has arrived in the DEL and at times dominates the play and creates lots of chances. He is shifty and elusive with the puck often finding the open man and he is no slouch without the puck either, putting pressure on the other team and being responsible defensively.

In recent years there have been 3 special players in German junior hockey. Tobias Rieder, Leon Draisaitl and Dominik Kahun. It would be great if he could catch up to the other two. Rieder being the oldest of the trio is obviously a few steps ahead.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad