C Dominic Toninato - Univ. of Minnesota-Duluth, NCAA (2012, 126th, TOR; unsigned UFA)

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
I don't doubt someone will give him an ELC. He won't be highly sought after like Vesey and others have been in the past.

Many were hoping that he would play on the Marlies this year due to the Leafs being weak at centre throughout the organization (in terms of depth).

He is a pretty strong defensive player from what I understand.

Mickey the mouse

Jun 30, 2013
I don't doubt someone will give him an ELC. He won't be highly sought after like Vesey and others have been in the past.

Many were hoping that he would play on the Marlies this year due to the Leafs being weak at centre throughout the organization (in terms of depth).

He is a pretty strong defensive player from what I understand.

There will be plenty of teams calling this kid. Saw UMD play 6-8 games this past season

he was one of the top 5 F's in the toughest conference in NCAA.

Very hard on pucks, extremely tuff to play against and a legit 200 ft player.

Can easily be 3rd / 4th line C on 10 or so teams.

Pitt just signed Adam Johnson and think he can be their 4th line C and he isn't 75% the player Toninato is. Not talking bad against Johnson, just not as good as Toninato

HockeyNightInBelfast

HockeyNightInBelfast
Mar 28, 2011
Belfast
www.facebook.com
Been following him since he was drafted
Decent player - not quite "over-ripe" but refused to sign a deal last year to finish his schooling & declined an AHL contract from the Leafs this year.

Has grit but needs to add weight & improv skating.

A quality signing for a team in need of depth - has a lot of the tools to make it.

Calculated risk on the player's part but gotta like that type of gall too.

I reckon he could become a 3rd or 4th line centreman at the NHL level within a couple of seasons if he's given an opportunity.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Been following him since he was drafted
Decent player - not quite "over-ripe" but refused to sign a deal last year to finish his schooling & declined an AHL contract from the Leafs this year.

Has grit but needs to add weight & improv skating.

A quality signing for a team in need of depth - has a lot of the tools to make it.

Calculated risk on the player's part but gotta like that type of gall too.

I reckon he could become a 3rd or 4th line centreman at the NHL level within a couple of seasons if he's given an opportunity.

That's interesting. Anyone know why he didn't want to sign with the Leafs?

Stand Witness

JT
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2014
London, ON

In terms of the "last offseason" part, I was never aware of the Leafs attempting to sign him last offseason and to be honest it doesn't even make that much sense from the Leafs POV.

Toninato said he wasn't going to sign an AHL contract. The Leafs weren't going to offer him a NHL contract because of contract limits and all that. He probably wouldn't have even started in the AHL as the Leafs have a tendency to sign not so high end prospect to AHL deals and then start them in the ECHL.

I don't know much about what Toninato can be much more then the 3/4 center that is often posted. He could still be a useful player and some team will probably take a chance on him. It all depends on what someones pool has imo. If it is relatively deep, I don't think those teams will bother with a low reward risk.

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS

My guess is he seen the pipeline of talent and realizes he's probably going to have a better shot at getting into the bigs through a different organization. We'll know if he signs with a bottom of the standings team.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
My guess is he seen the pipeline of talent and realizes he's probably going to have a better shot at getting into the bigs through a different organization. We'll know if he signs with a bottom of the standings team.

The Marlies have also been a pretty stacked team. Would make sense to take the deal, work with the Leafs who have had success developing players the last few years and have a strong year in the AHL (take a one year deal).

Then either ask for a NHL contract or go to another team to get one with a year of pro experience and showing he is NHL ready.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011

He wanted to sign here but we already have 48 NHL contracts and that's excluding Connor Brown. 50 is the limit. He was actually very patient with our org. giving us a chance to sort out contracts but we eventually didn't give him an NHL deal.

It's disappointing to me as we need the C Depth with the Marlies but he wouldn't agree to an AHL deal.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF

He wanted too.

He didn't last summer because he wanted to finish school.

This year, the Leafs simply didn't have room. We likely offered him an AHL deal, but he thinks, and rightly so, that he can get an NHL deal from someone

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
With the way the Rangers have been in on college guys the past couple years, if they like this guy they'll for sure be in on him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad