C Dillon Dubé (2016, 56th, CGY)

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Along with Volcan, another one of those potential "darkhorse" player to watch for in 2016 draft besides Benson and Steel. Seen RS and zjh talk about him earlier this year, but decided to make a thread.

He is more on the smaller size compared to other WHL players, but his size, like Volcan, isn't really a weakness. He plays bigger than what his 5'10 - 175 lbs frame says along with a good talent level.

Doesn't have one stand out quality per say, but just does everything right offensively. Can both pass the puck and score at a decent skill for a 1998 player. He also finds the open ice in the offensive zone and gets himself setup for a one timer majority of the times. This ability could be very good once he gets more consistent powerplay minutes next season. His favourite part of the ice definitely is the upper slot between the circles so he can blast one. Another skill I liked when watching him play was his deceptiveness in the corners and winning puck battles. A LOT of the times, I saw the opposing defenseman come into a 1v1 battle with him and clearly underestimate his ability. He is very good at using his body, even how small it is, to shield off bigger players and win the puck battle. This strength could be quite useful for his draft stock once he puts more muscle to his frame.

I would consider him a top 120 player for the 2016 draft currently.

zjh

@ZenonHerasymiuk
Jan 24, 2011
AB88
Along with Volcan, another one of those potential "darkhorse" player to watch for in 2016 draft besides Benson and Steel. Seen RS and zjh talk about him earlier this year, but decided to make a thread.

He is more on the smaller size compared to other WHL players, but his size, like Volcan, isn't really a weakness. He plays bigger than what his 5'10 - 175 lbs frame says along with a good talent level.

Doesn't have one stand out quality per say, but just does everything right offensively. Can both pass the puck and score at a decent skill for a 1998 player. He also finds the open ice in the offensive zone and gets himself setup for a one timer majority of the times. This ability could be very good once he gets more consistent powerplay minutes next season. His favourite part of the ice definitely is the upper slot between the circles so he can blast one. Another skill I liked when watching him play was his deceptiveness in the corners and winning puck battles. A LOT of the times, I saw the opposing defenseman come into a 1v1 battle with him and clearly underestimate his ability. He is very good at using his body, even how small it is, to shield off bigger players and win the puck battle. This strength could be quite useful for his draft stock once he puts more muscle to his frame.

I would consider him a top 120 player for the 2016 draft currently.

I think he is similar to Baillie in terms of body type, but his stride is a lot more explosive. His anticipation and vision are very good. I'd have him as more of a Top-60-90 guy than a Top-120 guy. Could see him filling in Goulborne's spot on the top line (can't remember what hand he is, but he would be dirty on that line)

Excited about his potential. Him and Johansen should give scouts a reason to keep coming to Kelowna.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I think he is similar to Baillie in terms of body type, but his stride is a lot more explosive. His anticipation and vision are very good. I'd have him as more of a Top-60-90 guy than a Top-120 guy. Could see him filling in Goulborne's spot on the top line (can't remember what hand he is, but he would be dirty on that line)

Excited about his potential. Him and Johansen should give scouts a reason to keep coming to Kelowna.
He's a lefty. Scored a nice goal on Friday,

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013
I really like his skating and goal scoring ability for his age. I don't know about the Goulborne replacement on that top line. Watching them play it just doesn't seem like a fit.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL

Good shout to Johansen's little brother, he is quite the prospect as well! We're seeing a change of tide in the Western Conference from Portland to Kelowna in terms of dominance and great drafting to replace the talent which left.

I understand why you see Baillie and Dube's body type similar, but I think Dube is already built stronger and more physical than when Tyson was a 16 year old. Actually on the top of Baillie, he has been pretty underwhelming this season. The kid is clearly having more than 1.00 PPG type of season with 76 in 68 games and he gets to play on a line with Draisaitl, but I always come away sort of dissatisfied when watching him this year. He's one of those players that is a good commodity to have, but not a huge loss if you trade him (AKA the P.A. Parenteau syndrome).

I know it's highly unlikely, but any relation to former NHLer (short lived stint with the Rangers) Christian Dube?
Eliteprospect is very good when it comes to relationships and blood (even with nephews), but I don't see any connection between the two, even if both last names are French origin. There is a chance they haven't added it, but Christian is 37 years old and Dube is 16, so he must have had him when he was 21 years old if it was his son. Could be his Uncle or long distant cousin though...

I really like his skating and goal scoring ability for his age. I don't know about the Goulborne replacement on that top line. Watching them play it just doesn't seem like a fit.
Dube is MUCH more talented than Goulbourne, all Tyrell has going for him is his toughness, craziness, and fighting technique. He is Rinaldo 2.0. E: A more talented version of Rinaldo, but same realm of the type of player.

Last edited:

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Very big fan. Smart and skilled player. Potential top 60 pick for sure.

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
Love this guy. He has been such a surprise this season for the Rockets. I would not be surprised if he puts up 40 goals next year - he has very impressive goal-scoring instincts for such a young player and he is extremely smart on the ice.

That being said - I can't say I am sure of what his game is all about at this point, and that is after watching the vast majority of Kelowna's home games this season. He's been a bit of a chameleon thus far. With that said, though, most players his age go through similar motions.

Looking forward to watching his progress this coming year and (hopefully) taking a look back at this thread when he is threatening the top-2 rounds.

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013
Dube is MUCH more talented than Goulbourne, all Tyrell has going for him is his toughness, craziness, and fighting technique. He is Rinaldo 2.0. E: A more talented version of Rinaldo, but same realm of the type of player.

Oh, I know that, I just don't know if he will be good enough next year to be the replacement on what will be their top line.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Would like to bump this up,

I thought he had a very impressive Memorial Cup, and due to the injuries the Rockets had, he had to play a pretty substantial role as well. Was being conservative in labeling him as a top 120 player, but I think he is a sure 2nd rounder right now for 2016. One of the most important aspects for him is that his strength as an underager for his size is extremely impressive.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Needs the bump, the prospect nobody is talking about. 16 points in 10 games, even though he plays on a talented team, he has been one of the main catalysts considering some of the talent the Rockets have lost.

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
Needs the bump, the prospect nobody is talking about. 16 points in 10 games, even though he plays on a talented team, he has been one of the main catalysts considering some of the talent the Rockets have lost.

He's been on fire since he came back from that kneeing suspension. The best player on the ice in 3/4 of the Rockets' last games. He's small but he has great goal scoring instincts and is a feisty player. Him and Baillie have really gelled so far this year.

sbtatter

Feb 27, 2005
Can you guys talk about where he is better than steel, and vice versa? Who will get drafted higher?
I'd say dube is a better scorer than steel, but maybe not as fast or have the same vision. Dube defitinly has more fire and grit
I think steel will be drafted higher because of reputation and paddocks connections likely don't hurt...

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Can you guys talk about where he is better than steel, and vice versa? Who will get drafted higher?
I'd say dube is a better scorer than steel, but maybe not as fast or have the same vision. Dube defitinly has more fire and grit
I think steel will be drafted higher because of reputation and paddocks connections likely don't hurt...

I think you answered your question here sbtatter. Steel has better hockey IQ, vision, and playmaking (probably has the edge on skating as well). But Dube has a good level of IQ as well, since he's able to read the play and cycle through the open areas (his most underrated strength IMO). What makes Dube so interesting is he goes to the dirty areas. He's kind of like Gallagher, as you said, "fire and grit" as big parts of his game. Of course I wouldn't say he is as good as Gallagher in those categories, but good enough to get noticeable. I had him somewhere in the 2nd round, but if continues, I think he can squeak into the late of the 1st round. I still think Steel is the superior player and probably will be drafted higher, but I don't think there is a humongous difference between the two at the current state of time IMO.

Goose of Reason

El Zilcho
May 1, 2013
So Dube has been getting some first round recognition, Button has him at #17 in his most recent rankings. How has he played this year for Kelowna? Where do people see him getting drafted? Who does he compare to as a player stylistically?

McMozesmadness

5-14-6-1
Feb 17, 2013
Edmonton, AB
He reminds me a bit of Jaden Schwartz, maybe not as gritty, but similar in stature and offensive ability. Good leader too.

Also I don't know how much other people factor this into their rankings but the fact that he plays for the Rockets, puts him higher on my list and makes me even more excited about his future. That place is so good at turning out talent.

SmartPuck

Mar 8, 2016
Reminds me a lot of Petan.

Have used that comparison a lot myself. I think that's what we could see come draft day, too, regarding where he gets picked...early 2nd round but ending up as having 1st round value.

BIitz

GRANT = SOFT
Oct 5, 2010
Have used that comparison a lot myself. I think that's what we could see come draft day, too, regarding where he gets picked...early 2nd round but ending up as having 1st round value.

For sure, and I see him putting up real good totals next year being the main offensive threat. He's so quick both with his feet and his hands. I don't think his shot is as good as Petan's yet. Petan has a laser.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad