C Danton Heinen - University of Denver, NCAA (2014, 116th overall, BOS)

NinthSpoke06

Nov 30, 2009
Watertown, MA
So this kid is wrapping up his freshman season with the Pios, and boy has it been a remarkable one.

So far he has put up
16 goals, 28 assits for 44 points in 36 games.

Second highest scoring freshman in the NCAAs to Eichel.

So, anyone know more about the kid? He was a complete unknown by most when the Bruins called his name at the draft and many were questioning the "reach" but his play he spoken for itself.

He's listed at 6'0", 160...but he has reportedly added 15 pounds since getting to college.

Anyone have any highlights? What about scouting reports? Who has seen him play?

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
It was a pretty strange pick... He wasn't ranked on any draft list and we picked him up in the 4th round. He had a hell of a freshman year. I'd like to know if anyone knows anything about him, too.

zjh

@ZenonHerasymiuk
Jan 24, 2011
AB88
I asked an NHL scout about him once, said no one really knew who he was and figured that only some of the local Vancouver scouts had a beat on him. Looks like a really good pick right now.

NHL RankKing

Fantasy Guru
Aug 31, 2013
Hockeytown
www.nhlrankking.com
He certainly stood out in yesterday's game against Ferris St. and has been a beast in the second half of the season after a slow start.

It will be interesting to know where Gambrell will go in this year's draft

mynameistickle

Sep 9, 2009
Richmond, VA
What do you think? 3rd/4th round for Gambrell?

Sounds about right. In the games I've seen Gambrell has had a propensity for going right to the front of the net and showing off that quick release. Part of me wonders though how much playing with Heinen drives his offensive production and how much is him displaying his natural talent. Surprised he got passed over with the year he's putting together. That backhand shot on his goal the other night was stunning.

SanDogBrewin

Righteous bucks!
Jan 14, 2010
On a tasty wave
twitter.com
www.ncaa.com/news/icehockey-men/art...ers-heinen-named-national-hockey-player-month

"University of Denver sophomore forward Danton Heinen, who led the Pioneers to an undefeated month while averaging more than two points per game, has been named the Hockey Commissioners’ Association (HCA) National Division I Player of the Month for February.

Heinen powered Denver to a 6-0-0 record in February while leading the NCAA with 15 points during the month. His 2.50 points per game, 1.67 assists per game and plus-14 plus/minus rating were also tops nationally in February while his 10 assists were second in the country. The Boston Bruins prospect recorded multiple points in all six games in February, tallying a goal in four of those games (five goals total), as he was twice named NCHC Offensive Player"

Having a great Tournament so far.

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
Bump

Great first AHL season. Better first playoffs.

Just to elaborate, he is currently the second leading scorer in the AHL playoffs with 6-9-15 in 14 games. Finished the regular season with a solid 44 points in 64 games. Goes 6'1, 185 and turns 22 on July 5. Plays all three forward positions.

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016
Just to elaborate, he is currently the second leading scorer in the AHL playoffs with 6-9-15 in 14 games. Finished the regular season with a solid 44 points in 64 games. Goes 6'1, 185 and turns 22 on July 5. Plays all three forward positions.

What he said.

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
Such a smart hockey player, went under the radar in the BCHL due to being small at 5'5" then grew in college and has ramped up in the AHL last year. This year he is increased his foot speed and competes for everything, reminds me of an Krejci/Bergeron type of all around player. A complete steal in 2014 as a 4th round pick, lot of GMs look foolish now, except the Bruins scouts and staff, good job.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad