C Dante Salituro - Ottawa 67's, OHL (2015 undrafted; 2016 signed, CBJ)

Nov 16, 2007
in your head
Small but has incredible vision. He's real fast and agile which is probably one of his best assets. He doesn't seem to get hit a lot for a smaller guy either.

He's primarily a play maker although lately he's been putting the puck in the back of the net more. His hockey sense is fantastic. He just always seems to be around the puck.

He's one of the few things making this season watchable for 67s fans.

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
5-8 185. Stocky kid. He comes to play every game. He is tough and determined. Excellent skater. I think his best attribute is his release on his shot, its fast and deceptive. Excellent, hard wrist shot looks like his go to shot and he has excellent shot accuracy. He loves to pick out the top part of the net. He has above average balance and is tough to knock off the puck. He ran away with the Goal scoring lead last year in a very deep GTHL league. 47 goals in 33 regular season games. Salituro in the slot is lethal when given time. He has showed some really nice playmaking skills so far in the OHL and I think his goal scoring will rise in the next few years.

Nov 16, 2007
in your head
5-8 185. Stocky kid. He comes to play every game. He is tough and determined. Excellent skater. I think his best attribute is his release on his shot, its fast and deceptive. Excellent, hard wrist shot looks like his go to shot and he has excellent shot accuracy. He loves to pick out the top part of the net. He has above average balance and is tough to knock off the puck. He ran away with the Goal scoring lead last year in a very deep GTHL league. 47 goals in 33 regular season games. Salituro in the slot is lethal when given time. He has showed some really nice playmaking skills so far in the OHL and I think his goal scoring will rise in the next few years.

Since Monahan got suspended Salituro has probably been our best forward. His goal scoring went up when Mona went out. He seemed to be shy to shoot early on but recently he's gone beast.

Hamilton35

Jan 21, 2009
Interesting that he is less that 3 months older than Connor McDavid. Does not have McDavids size but will be interesting to see if their production continues to be similar and how they will be hyped going into the draft.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
Interesting that he is less that 3 months older than Connor McDavid. Does not have McDavids size but will be interesting to see if their production continues to be similar and how they will be hyped going into the draft.

:help: Similar? One is scoring .81PPG on a team where 3 other players have more points, the other is scoring at 1.16PPG on a team where only one guy is ahead of him and everyone else is far behind. That's like comparing Stamkos to Versteeg...

With all that said, he's playing really well for his age. Curious to see if he can keep it up.

insider

Nov 14, 2003
:help: Similar? One is scoring .81PPG on a team where 3 other players have more points, the other is scoring at 1.16PPG on a team where only one guy is ahead of him and everyone else is far behind. That's like comparing Stamkos to Versteeg...

With all that said, he's playing really well for his age. Curious to see if he can keep it up.

If you study their production with the ice time they are given, it becomes a lot more even. Take into consideration that McDavid has been a first PP option all season as well, whereas Salituro has had to battle to make his way onto the top 6 and into a PP role.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
I actually thought early on that his shot might be a weakness in his game, but as mentioned above he is showing it more, and to much better effect lately. He's going to be a big time OHL player in the next few years, I predict. Of course, the size issue is going to hold him back in terms of his overall prospect rankings. He plays a really complete and determined game too. Been getting some PK time and really one of the very bright spots for the 67's overall this year.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
If you study their production with the ice time they are given, it becomes a lot more even. Take into consideration that McDavid has been a first PP option all season as well, whereas Salituro has had to battle to make his way onto the top 6 and into a PP role.

That second argument seems quite dubious considering McDavid has 1 less PP point than Salituro. I just don't see the point of making a comparison where there isn't one.

insider

Nov 14, 2003
That second argument seems quite dubious considering McDavid has 1 less PP point than Salituro. I just don't see the point of making a comparison where there isn't one.

For the first two months of the season, the Otter PP worked through McDavid and it still does. Ottawa's worked through Monahan, Graovac and Ceci. Only with Monahan's suspension has Salituro really become central to it. His power play production works in his favour.

I'm not comparing them as prospects, but as far as their rookie OHL seasons, their production is comparable.

Hamilton35

Jan 21, 2009

As someone mentioned, the amount of ice time is not even close and I believe skews the ppg comparison.

Make no mistake, McDavid is a phenom. But I am very interested in how Salituro will be regarded in relation to McDavid if he continues to develop and become an elite scorer his second and third seasons. He is not your typical small junior skater. He is a good skater with superb edge work. Elite hockey sense. Great vision. Needs to shoot more as he seems to elect to pass to older veteran players on scoring chances.

He needs to improve his defensive work (which 16yr old doesnt) and conditioning. If he grows and inch or two he will be in the discussion for top 5 in 2015.

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
In my opinion if u took Salituro and put him on the Otters at the beginning of the year, his numbers wouldnt be close to Mcdavid's and he would have less points in Erie as he does in Ottawa. Salituro not playing in the top 6, worked to his favour, he sees 2nd and 3rd D pairings on the other team. Monahan always see's the top pairing on the other team. Mcdavid has had top pairing on D, to deal with all season.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
Salituro's got the talent needed to transition pretty seemlessly to the O. But why he's being mentioned in the same breath as McDavid, I have no idea.
It's just a way of complimenting Salituro's game. As a similarly young player with production that is at least approaching McDavid's, it just helps to emphasize how nicely Salituro has made the jump this season. Nobody is seriously comparing them as overall prospects. Just using the similarities that do exist to help illustrate what a great season Salituro is having, and how he might well project to being a star junior player in the next few years. I don't see anybody getting carried away with it. It's reasonable, in context.

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Salituro reminds me of a right handed Max Domi. Very strong on the puck for his size. Strong lower body, will work to dig pucks out and deal with the physical part quite well. Excellent shot and accuracy.

fmrdh

Mar 5, 2013
Anything new on this guy?

Was looking at Konecny's stats and saw this guy was also eligible for 2015. Potential 1st/2nd rounder?

Nov 16, 2007
in your head
He's very small, but has great hands/skill. Doesn't shy away physically for a guy his size. I see him going mid/late 2nd next season. If he was bigger he'd likely be a 1st rounder. Kid is really fun to watch.

ZeroPT*

He's very small, but has great hands/skill. Doesn't shy away physically for a guy his size. I see him going mid/late 2nd next season. If he was bigger he'd likely be a 1st rounder. Kid is really fun to watch.

Yeah he's too small. He's electric and I could see him vaulting to the 25-35 spot but I wouldn't count on him to be a top 15-20 pick. Size is an issue.

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
Sounds like hes similar to Nic Petan?

Similar maybe in that they had close first years (Salituro 40 points to Petans 35). Second year Petan had over twice as many points, 59 to 120.

Petan is significantly better offensively.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
Anything new on this guy?

Was looking at Konecny's stats and saw this guy was also eligible for 2015. Potential 1st/2nd rounder?
No idea what the official consensus is, but I would say I'm rather less impressed by him as time goes by. I mean, it's a little tough to get attention with a lack of talent on the 67's lately, and his numbers have progressed despite that. Maybe it was just the games I saw, but I didn't find him standing out as much. I don't know where he's ranked or what anybody else is seeing, but I guess just off the cuff I would have guessed the odds were higher of him not even being drafted than of being a higher round pick? :dunno:

That said, this is his year, his time to shine and get noticed, maybe he can force his way back into the spotlight to some degree as the 67's hopefully become at least a little more competitive?

Nov 16, 2007
in your head
No idea what the official consensus is, but I would say I'm rather less impressed by him as time goes by. I mean, it's a little tough to get attention with a lack of talent on the 67's lately, and his numbers have progressed despite that. Maybe it was just the games I saw, but I didn't find him standing out as much. I don't know where he's ranked or what anybody else is seeing, but I guess just off the cuff I would have guessed the odds were higher of him not even being drafted than of being a higher round pick? :dunno:

That said, this is his year, his time to shine and get noticed, maybe he can force his way back into the spotlight to some degree as the 67's hopefully become at least a little more competitive?

I think you just saw some poor games by Dante. Most games I watched it was either he or Van Stralen who was the 2nd best forward behind Konecny.

SaltyPete

May 7, 2014
Salituro is off to a pretty good start this season, 10 goals and 1 assist in 9 games so far. Where do you guys see him going in the draft?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad