C Cutter Gauthier - Boston College, NCAA (2022, 5th, PHI; traded to ANA)

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
The Ducks a few years earlier were also an example of retooling instead of rebuilding. On the 07 team Getzlaf and Perry were good players, but not yet superstars. Yet the team was able to transition to a contending team built around them because they developed into stars just as the other big guns aged or retired.

Had Lindholm, Rakell, etc been better, or if Zegras and such had arrived earlier, maybe the team charts a different path. But they had too big a gap between drafting their high end talented players ...they found a lot of good players who have had solid careers, but there was a dry stretch where they weren't able to find star players (at forward especially).

Actually, if GM Murray wasn't an alcoholic, then no reset rebuild would have occurred.

GM Murray resigned in early Nov '21, in the middle of an 8-game winning streak.

GM Verbeek was hired during all-star break. The Ducks were 3rd in the Pacific when that happened. Top-4RD Manson went to IR during all-star break and Verbeek sat on his hands until the TDL. At the TDL, the Ducks were 6th in the Pacific, but only 4 points behind 3rd place in the Pacific. Verbeek admitted he blew up the team at the TDL, giving away top pairing LD Lindholm, top-4RD Manson, top-6RW Rakell, and pugilist/PK'er Deslauriers.

Already in the system: C Zegras (NHL), RD (Drysdale), C McTavish (9-NHL games, OHL), LD Thrun (NCAA junior), LD LaCombe (NCAA junior), RD Moore, LD Zellweger, LD Hinds, and RW Colangelo.

Youth who finally showed up: RW Terry (37g +30a in 2021-22).

Anaheim probably would continue to draft defensemen and probably would have snagged Luneau in the 2nd round in the 2022 draft still. The Ducks would still have the capital to trade for Cutter.

FiveTacos

Oct 2, 2017
The Twilight Zone
Anaheim probably would continue to draft defensemen and probably would have snagged Luneau in the 2nd round in the 2022 draft still. The Ducks would still have the capital to trade for Cutter.

Not sure they would/could/should have re signed Lindholm et al.. and if not, then the rebuild was still on. The guys that were traded were not the caliber that would have prevented the Ducks from sliding down the standings. They'd still be a non playoff team with no real Cup hopes.

Put it this way, would you trade Carlsson for Lindholm, Rakell, and Manson right now?

rahad

Feb 3, 2016
montreal
Started to reply to this before I saw you using Montreal as the example. Wondered about this scenario exactly as I feel like Chicago takes Levshunov and Verbeek won't want Demidov. Would definitely do 5th OA + Barron/Colorado's 2nd + 4th/5th for 3rd OA to get Demidov.

Anaheim still gets whichever of the D they want as I'd think Columbus would take Lindstrom. Roy would also be a good target for them but I genuinely think he might be the most sought after UFA available this summer

What does the habs gain for trading so much for the third overall pick from the Ducks? Everyone know the Habs want a forward and Anaheim a D.

Pretty sure Kent would bet on Anaheim taking the second best D at third. This leave Columbus and Habs taking Demidov or Lindstrom. The only scenario this work, if the Habs are crazy about Demidov and want him badly with the team.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
What does the habs gain for trading so much for the third overall pick from the Ducks? Everyone know the Habs want a forward and Anaheim a D.

Pretty sure Kent would bet on Anaheim taking the second best D at third. This leave Columbus and Habs taking Demidov or Lindstrom. The only scenario this work, if the Habs are crazy about Demidov and want him badly with the team.

Actually Anaheim could go either way or bpa, we have 2 1sts and usually do well drafting dmen in 2nd or 3rd round.

Especially if levshunov is off the board

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife

If trading Barron and a late round pick is all it took to secure Demidov I wouldn't even hesitate. I think Barron has a decent but unspectacular NHL future ahead of him that won't be the Habs, and I think Yakemchuk and Parekh are big enough reaches that they'd strongly consider just going with BPA at 3rd overall, leaving the Habs either reaching or further adding to the D glut

Reactions: HabzSauce

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2