jawandapuck.blogspot.com
#97 | LHS | 6'1 190 lbs
Born January 13, 1997,
Richmond Hill, ON, Canada

nhljpg.jpg.size.xxlarge.letterbox.jpg

McDavid impressive if not spectacular in NHL debut
Friday, 10.09.2015 / 12:47 AM / NHL Insider
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=782389

Good but not great, with flashes of the brilliance that's to come, warning signs of areas that need improvement, and a slow and steady rise in his level of impact.

That description of Connor McDavid's performance in his NHL debut Thursday at Scottrade Center against the St. Louis Blues might not be what people envisioned hearing or reading considering the hype that accompanied the Edmonton Oilers rookie center into the League, but honest evaluation is the first and necessary step for McDavid toward living up to the incredibly high expectations already placed on him.

He may only be cracking the surface of his potential in the NHL, but he at least deserves time to lay his foundation, especially when he's attempting to do it with a target on his back as the No. 1 pick in the 2015 draft and arguably the most hyped player to enter the League since Sidney Crosby a decade ago.

[NHL]842277[/NHL]

Old Thread: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1892911

Last edited by a moderator:

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Is their really any use having a McDavid thread on the prospect board anymore?

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
Is their really any use having a McDavid thread on the prospect board anymore?

He's still a prospect, hasn't even played a full 9 game tryout yet

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012
There was an interview with Gene Principe during the Blues game and McDavid was pissed. A little more tame in the post-game, but you can still tell he wasn't all that happy about his play or the outcome. He hasn't been amazing so far, I'll admit, but character, speed, skill, leadership, etc. he's got it all and it's only a matter of time before all those come together to make him one of the best in the game.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
well Ehlers got his first now, so its mcdavid's turn!!!... hes gotta keep pace with all these impressive rookies!!!... really do think he will score tonight vs Dallas

Ralonzo

Я хочу!
Nov 6, 2006
Virginia
I may actually be a tiny bit worried if he doesn't get a point again tonight. seems like VS Dallas is a good time to get a point

Seems like an odd position to take, Dallas annihilated Edmonton in every aspect except goaltending and luck, which made the final look like the competitive hockey game that it really wasn't. Could have just as easily been 9-1 as 4-2.

McDavid got a few looks but it seemed the Stars had a strategy to largely neutralize him, by being effectively physical - not running at him or anything but getting a rub, steering him wide, getting in his skating lanes. He'll need to adjust to that, deflection goal notwithstanding.

He's also going to need a lot more help than he's getting now from the other skaters, because they looked dreadful, and Connor is still looking to defer to the vets instead of taking control.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
Seems like an odd position to take, Dallas annihilated Edmonton in every aspect except goaltending and luck, which made the final look like the competitive hockey game that it really wasn't. Could have just as easily been 9-1 as 4-2.

McDavid got a few looks but it seemed the Stars had a strategy to largely neutralize him, by being effectively physical - not running at him or anything but getting a rub, steering him wide, getting in his skating lanes. He'll need to adjust to that, deflection goal notwithstanding.

He's also going to need a lot more help than he's getting now from the other skaters, because they looked dreadful, and Connor is still looking to defer to the vets instead of taking control.

Wow that's a bit of a reach if I ever did see one.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
Never seen this guy play, only heard hype about him. Being as good or better player than Gretzky and Crosby, he's had slow start on points table. I bet he'll not overdo ovechkin's rookie points.

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
Never seen this guy play, only heard hype about him. Being as good or better player than Gretzky and Crosby, he's had slow start on points table. I bet he'll not overdo ovechkin's rookie points.

No rookie will, the game is played differently and points have gone down. He's looked impressive but the teams been snake bitten and poor in general. He's the last of my worries at least.

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010

Agreed on all points. I give Taylor Hall a pass in that game because I think he was sick but the rest. I really think Yakopov (sp) is useless.

YEGJuniorFan

Dec 3, 2009
Edmonton
Agreed on all points. I give Taylor Hall a pass in that game because I think he was sick but the rest. I really think Yakopov (sp) is useless.

Aside from his missed backcheck, Yak played well. Him and McDavid were creating a lot more offense than the rest of the team.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

My biggest reservation with McDavid having a lights out year is the D.

First, he is going to be spending way too much time in his own end because of deficiency on the back end.

Second, anyone who has seen the Oilers PP knows that their D-Men cannot move the puck or keep it in the zone. The other teams clear the puck much too easily. To win the scoring race he will need his share of PP points and that's not going to happen when the Oilers can't even set up.

Third, as I said before, the better he gets, the more attention he will get from the other team's best. That's not going to help.

On the positive side...

He has, even without playing with them, made RNH and Hall better. They are excelling with other teams concentrating on McDavid more and more.

As a matter of fact, he's a leading contribution on Yakupov's better play.

Yup.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
My biggest reservation with McDavid having a lights out year is the D.

First, he is going to be spending way too much time in his own end because of deficiency on the back end.

Second, anyone who has seen the Oilers PP knows that their D-Men cannot move the puck or keep it in the zone. The other teams clear the puck much too easily. To win the scoring race he will need his share of PP points and that's not going to happen when the Oilers can't even set up.

Third, as I said before, the better he gets, the more attention he will get from the other team's best. That's not going to help.

On the positive side...

He has, even without playing with them, made RNH and Hall better. They are excelling with other teams concentrating on McDavid more and more.

Yup.

Nail Yakupov has 5 points in 4 games with McDavid. Though he's playing very well himself, but looks like the McDavid thing might be a double whammy for the Oilers not only in getting McDavid but what he can do for Yakupov too.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

Nail Yakupov has 5 points in 4 games with McDavid. Though he's playing very well himself, but looks like the McDavid thing might be a double whammy for the Oilers not only in getting McDavid but what he can do for Yakupov too.

Agree and I am not dumping on McDavid. He has the potential to be GREAT!!!

What everyone seems to forget is, the Oilers are one year out from being the 2nd worst team in the NHL. Asking him to make a huge difference is a lot to ask.

Also, as I said above, if McDavid is going to challenge for the scoring lead, he will need a ton of points on the PP. Can anyone see that happening? I can't. He's excelled while 5 on 5 but done next to nothing on the PP because he's too busy skating around Center Ice waiting for the D to retrieve the puck.

The Oilers did not get much PP time tonight but, next time they do, watch how bad it is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad