C Connor Bedard (2023, 1st, CHI) Part 6

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com

Alright - time for a new Bedard thread, a lot has happened since the last thread was made.

Bedard had the most dominant offensive statline ever posted by a U18 player in WJC history with 23 points in only 7 games on route to a gold model and scoring one of the greatest goals in WJC history against Slovakia.

Since going back to Regina he has been on fire, he is pacing similarly to McDavid and Crosby in their draft seasons and is regularly putting up 4+ point games. He is well over a goal a game and is projected to finish above 2.5 points per game. Simply put he has been dominate in Regina but the team just isn’t built to contend so his playoff run may not be too protent this year.

He will go first overall but there is plenty of time still to the draft. Let’s see how many points he can score.

Part 1:
Part 2:
Part 3:
Part 4:
Part 5:

Last edited:

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
I can see him winning Art Rosses on the strength of his goalscoring but also on the strength of his playmaking. He may not get the time and space in the NHL to reach generational level goal totals despite a generational shot but I think his playmaking and IQ are being underrated at this point due to his goalscoring.

Like Crosby, I can see him "choosing" to be an elite playmaker or an elite goalscorer in any given season. Like OV, I can see defenders overplaying him due to his shot but unlike OV, I can see him using this to set up teammates. Like McDavid, he may be best positioned as a C/W hydrid so his offense can be exploited to the max.

I think he has set himself apart from all other prospects with a unique skillset; an unbelievably accurate laser shot, elite hockey IQ, and elite playmaking, like the best ones of the last 50 years (McDavid with his speed, Crosby with his grinding, Jagr with his puck possesion, Lindros with his size, Mario with everything, and Wayne with his IQ) . Wayne actually comes to mind as the closest comparable given his lack of notable stature.

He simply isn't just a better version of X player.

CaptainShark

Sep 25, 2004
Fulda, Germany
There is another Connor Bedard who will be available in the 2025 draft? Or will he be so damn good that he can play for two teams at the same time, so he reenters the draft for the purpose of being drafted again?

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Probably the best shooting prospect I've ever seen. He can score a legit snap shot from top of the circle regularly.
Not a huge surprise considering the amount of shots he takes(6.5 shots on goal per game).

Although this season he's significantly improved his shooting percentage as well. Still, I'm of the opinion that what's most important for being a good goal scorer in NHL is getting to the danger areas, not shot quality.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Not a huge surprise considering the amount of shots he takes(6.5 shots on goal per game).

Although this season he's significantly improved his shooting percentage as well. Still, I'm of the opinion that what's most important for being a good goal scorer in NHL is getting to the danger areas, not shot quality.
It’s both - to be an elite goal scorer you need to be elite at getting to the danger areas, AND have an elite shot. Ovie, Matthews and Stamkos are the 3 best goal scorers since the 04/05 lockout, the only 3 to hit 60, and all have elite shots.

If you look back further, 60 goal scorers from the 90s to present, you add Brett Hull, Selanne, Mogilny, Lemieux, Robitaille, Jagr and Bure, all elite shooters too. If McDavid hits 60 this year (very likely), he’ll be the first guy in ages to do it without an elite shot (and he still has a very good shot, but I wouldn’t call it elite).

Last edited:

blundluntman

Jul 30, 2016
This kid may be as good as Crosby and McDavid the way he's elevated his game. Maybe he's small but Kane was 5'10 and put up some absolutely incredible seasons with 106 in '16 and 110 some years later. I don't think his size will be a problem with his hands, hockey sense, playmaking and generational shooting ability. I'm gonna guess he peaks around 130-140 if he reaches his full potential. Maybe that's crazy, but time will tell.

grentthealien

Oct 2, 2016
Newfoundland
I can see him winning Art Rosses on the strength of his goalscoring but also on the strength of his playmaking. He may not get the time and space in the NHL to reach generational level goal totals despite a generational shot but I think his playmaking and IQ are being underrated at this point due to his goalscoring.

Like Crosby, I can see him "choosing" to be an elite playmaker or an elite goalscorer in any given season. Like OV, I can see defenders overplaying him due to his shot but unlike OV, I can see him using this to set up teammates. Like McDavid, he may be best positioned as a C/W hydrid so his offense can be exploited to the max.

I think he has set himself apart from all other prospects with a unique skillset; an unbelievably accurate laser shot, elite hockey IQ, and elite playmaking, like the best ones of the last 50 years (McDavid with his speed, Crosby with his grinding, Jagr with his puck possesion, Lindros with his size, Mario with everything, and Wayne with his IQ) . Wayne actually comes to mind as the closest comparable given his lack of notable stature.

He simply isn't just a better version of X player.
I 1000% echo that 2nd paragraph from what I've seen of him he uses his shot to his advantage in his playmaking even! Lots of hesitations, fakes, wind-up shot passes etc etc I think he’ll take whatever defences give him each season.

Reactions: Muffinalt

ozzie

Aug 3, 2005
Australia
Is he a true center or would he be better on the wing in the NHL, more like Kane? Reading all these posts and comparisons to Crosby for example. Does Bedard have a Danny Roussin equivalent, is he an elevator. I know Bedard is practically single handedly carrying his team and put Canada on his back.

hockeykid87

Apr 7, 2008
Assuming they make it, whoever plays Regina in the 1st round is probably terrified. This guy is gonna win that series on his own.

Mr Buckles

Jun 6, 2018
After a 6 point performance, Bedard's now projecting for 147 points on the year.

View attachment 655041

Can he average 2.8 points per game and become the first CHLer since Radulov (2005-06) to hit 150?
Wow, great thread. I see that he's now up to a projected 148 points, so maybe!

Bedard.png

ItWasJustified

Jan 1, 2015
Can anyone explain to me why Rob Brown averaged 2.51 PPG in his draft year, and was only drafted in the 4th round?

and if you want to make the "WHL wasn't considered good then" argument, someone half as productive as him went top 3 in the same draft.
My guess would be lack of compete.

Mr Buckles

Jun 6, 2018
Can anyone explain to me why Rob Brown averaged 2.51 PPG in his draft year, and was only drafted in the 4th round?
Some relevant discussion here:

Last edited:
Reactions: CanuckCity

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad