C Colin White (2015, 21st, OTT)

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
top 10 right now with top 5 potential. its gonna be hard to pass McDavid, Eichel, Hanifin, Barzal and Kylington tho..
i have White, Zacha and Konecny in my 6-8 group right now

usascout1

Nov 2, 2012
One of my favorite 97's. If you have a chance to see him play he is always buzzing in the offensive end, very smart, moves well with and without the puck, strong, this guy is very smart, does all the things right and is just down right great on the ice. Does a lot of the little things, give him a role and he will execute it. A threat every shift. About 6'1 now and has a good frame. Lot's of speed and moves extremely well east/west.

hockey38

Jun 16, 2014
A great player for sure, but I think he is a bit overrated as a top ten.

Check out his splits from U17 & U18 this year

Only 1 goal (an empty net at that) and 3 assists in 8 games at U18. Yes, a small sample size but a far cry from his 1.36 pts per game at U17.

I think his numbers (and Kirwan's) were helped by playing with Bracco (and before anyone claims Bracco was a product of White's, Bracco's numbers actually went up when White got called up. But wait, there's more: White returned to his dominant self when he was sent back to the U17 team later in the year).

Solid first rounder but maybe not as high as everyone seems to think.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009

Only 1 goal (an empty net at that) and 3 assists in 8 games at U18. Yes, a small sample size but a far cry from his 1.36 pts per game at U17.

I think his numbers (and Kirwan's) were helped by playing with Bracco (and before anyone claims Bracco was a product of White's, Bracco's numbers actually went up when White got called up. But wait, there's more: White returned to his dominant self when he was sent back to the U17 team later in the year).

Great stat analysis. It will really aid you to completely overlook a very talented two-way center.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado

Or maybe, just maybe, his opportunities with the U18s were limited at best as an underager since Eichel and Larkin were ahead of him on the depth chart.

hockey38

Jun 16, 2014
Relax

Everyone is so sensitive

I said great player but may be over valued in top ten

And to being buried on the depth chart - this is the NTDP we are talking about, they have great talent top to bottom and are known for rolling the lines pretty evenly

usascout1

Nov 2, 2012
Way off base on your stat analysis....look deeper. White was made a fourth line right wing with very limited ice time with the U18's. He played center all year but did what was asked. Also, as far as stats increasing when back with the U17's (for one game)....he only played one last game with the 17's. A game in which I am told he was injured.

Last edited:

Bridgeman

Mar 1, 2013
Tampa FL
Or maybe, just maybe, his opportunities with the U18s were limited at best as an underager since Eichel and Larkin were ahead of him on the depth chart.

I believe Hanifin came in as an underager with limited time and he produced ahead of his U17 pace. I think he had 8 points in his first 3 games and I believe 14 in 13 games . Who knows!

arsmaster*

I believe Hanifin came in as an underager with limited time and he produced ahead of his U17 pace. I think he had 8 points in his first 3 games and I believe 14 in 13 games . Who knows!

Different positions. Different quality.

Hanifin is better than then entire u18 group now.

White isn't currently good enough go bump Eichel or Larkin.

Also, to me there is a difference between milano and Tuch and Hitchcock and Bjork.

White is a helluva prospect. My favorite kind of prospect too (skilled forward with advanced 200 ft game, that makes the game easier for his linemates).

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Different positions. Different quality.

Hanifin is better than then entire u18 group now.

White isn't currently good enough go bump Eichel or Larkin.

Also, to me there is a difference between milano and Tuch and Hitchcock and Bjork.

White is a helluva prospect. My favorite kind of prospect too (skilled forward with advanced 200 ft game, that makes the game easier for his linemates).

Exactly. Hanifin was immediately the best defenseman the U18's had. White was stuck in the bottom six with linemates who were a significant step down from Bracco and Kirwan.

Does he have #1 C potential?

Depends. If you consider someone like Logan Couture or Joe Pavelski to be #1C's, then sure.

hockey38

Jun 16, 2014
And my point was, if you are going to be a top ten (with top five potential), I don't care if you are playing with Hitchcock and Bjork or me and a bag of pucks, you better produce more than he did.

Which begs a different question - why call him up to U18 and bury him on a fourth line?

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
And my point was, if you are going to be a top ten (with top five potential), I don't care if you are playing with Hitchcock and Bjork or me and a bag of pucks, you better produce more than he did.

Which begs a different question - why call him up to U18 and bury him on a fourth line?

It was 8 ****ing games. Tiny sample size. :shakehead

hockey38

Jun 16, 2014
Yeah, pretty sure I mentioned small sample size in my original post.

And, as long as we are reviewing my original post, I said great player but may be over valued in top ten.

Then the hissy fits started

usascout1

Nov 2, 2012

And, as long as we are reviewing my original post, I said great player but may be over valued in top ten.

Anyone can be overvalued in the top 10. Only time will tell. Fact is as of right now many coaches/scouts feel he has the intelligence/speed/skill to be in the top 10.

Mickey the mouse

Jun 30, 2013

White played winger on a line with Mathews as the center and I think Gersich on the other wing for the 3 games that I saw.

HIGH energy line, with Gersich 2 steps quicker than the other 2.

Mathews is by far the best forward on the u17s and did well on u18s ... not great.

It's no easy task playing up with the older team. Eichel , who is light years ahead of everyone on US teams, took time to adjust the prior year.

Hanafin , who is outstanding, didn't do very well in his own zone either but got better with time.

It's a very hard adjustment no matter who you are.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009

Ye you said nice things but you're seemingly basing your opinion off statistics.

I guess if by hissy fits you mean people disagreed with you, then yes, hissy fits all around.

IMO you're undervaluing him big time.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba

pretty much going to pile on as well as if you haven't seen the kid play, then ask for why he didn't produce, then say people are hissy fitting who disagree with your flawed logic....not sure what more you could expect???

looking at just stats for kids this age isn't the be all/end all. I understand the logic in your head with wondering why he didn't produce, but then after being told why from those who follow the USNDP you continue to disagree or just generalize what a player should be doing in his skates.

I am not sure what you are looking for with White, but I would move on for now until we get closer to the draft to see how he is producing.

BoDacious Horvat

Sep 1, 2013
Vancouver
If he's being described as Bergeron stylistically, can someone provide some insight on how White looks in the offensive zone? Like what kind of player he is? Is he a "right place, right time" kind of player or a guy that wins battles on the boards, goes to the hard areas to score. Or someone who likes to have the puck on their stick and enjoys running the offense?

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
If he's being described as Bergeron stylistically, can someone provide some insight on how White looks in the offensive zone? Like what kind of player he is? Is he a "right place, right time" kind of player or a guy that wins battles on the boards, goes to the hard areas to score. Or someone who likes to have the puck on their stick and enjoys running the offense?

He's pretty opportunistic. Good on the rush. Not a dominant cycle/boards guy. He will go to the dirty areas.

Anyone who wants to see film of him from the U17 tournament, all the games are archived here:
http://stats.hockeycanada.ca/schedule/league_instance/16178?subseason=140901

Yep. Worth seeing not just for White, but for Hanifin, Werenski, Bracco, Matthews, Kirwan, and a bunch of other 2015 and 2016 draft eligibles, not just from the US but from other teams too. Top guys in those two drafts like Konecny, Day, Strome, Spencer, Chychrun, Marner, and Crouse are there, so the US-Ontario game is probably the one worth watching.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad