C Cliff Pu - London Knights, OHL (2016, 69th, BUF)

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Question for people who are probably in the Ontario Area:

Anyone know anything about Cliff Pu (selected in the 1st round at the 2014 OHL draft)? He is already 6'1, got selected to represent team Canada at the U17.

Any info? NHL potential? Yes or no?

Last edited by a moderator:

thething

Jul 28, 2014
I've seen him a few times and as described in the scouting report, fantastic skater. Pu seemed like more of a passing type of player and was good at anticipating plays when I saw him play.

Regarding whether player has nhl potential, sure he does, like any young player drafted in the first round of an ohl draft he has shown skills that could make him an nhler one day.

Pu has only played 1 game due to injury, no points, but selected to play for Canada at the U17.

flamebird

Jul 28, 2007
Anybody have insight as to why Cliff Pu (London Knights) has completely fallen off the map? Was an OHL 1st Rounder with very very good 2 way play and was also part of Hockey Canada's U17 program last year.

He didnt show up on the PTW list by CSS and cant find him anywhere on mock draft websites (was a 3rd/4th round projection throughout last year)

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
Anybody have insight as to why Cliff Pu (London Knights) has completely fallen off the map? Was an OHL 1st Rounder with very very good 2 way play and was also part of Hockey Canada's U17 program last year.

He didnt show up on the PTW list by CSS and cant find him anywhere on mock draft websites (was a 3rd/4th round projection throughout last year)

Pu has been injured since the beginning of the season. Over the summer he had some sort of surgery that was to repair an injury that he'd been playing with last year. That may have had something to do with his underwhelming play. I'm not sure when he's returning this year. I think the Hunters like him, so he should get some sort of place in the line up if he can get healthy (although, as of now, there are a surplus of forwards so I'm not sure what sort of meaningful role he would play).

It is difficult to see him getting drafted at this point given his output last year (which might have been due to injury) and the fact he hasn't played at all this year. I guess you never know. I always hope the best for prospects.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Hunter disclosed it as an UBI last month:
Fellow forwards CJ Yakimowicz and Cliff Pu were at the rink but didn’t take part in scrimmages. They eventually went on the ice but are dealing with what Hunter termed “upper-body injuriesâ€.

“No body contact, but they can skate and everything’s fine that way,†Hunter said. “They strained a couple of muscles.â€
http://www.lfpress.com/2015/09/01/london-knights-set-sights-high
He did say veteran forward C.J. Yakimowicz, after missing training camp, has been cleared to play but the club didn't want to put him in the lineup this week.

"It's to give him a couple of extra weeks to get ready," Hunter said. "(Sophomore) Cliff Pu will need more time."

Hunter would not reveal the nature of their ailments for public consumption. He continues to describe them as "upper-body injuries".
http://www.lfpress.com/2015/09/04/london-knights-counting-on-speed

member 147413

Heh... Pu

(Help me, I'm a child living in an adults body)

MackAttack26

Jan 10, 2015
Ontario
3rd round?

Correct me if I'm wrong but he doesn't get the big minutes due to being on a deep team, right? If so, anyone think he could be in a similar (but not quite as high) situation as Senyshyn on the Soo where his numbers aren't as good as they could be?

McMozesmadness

5-14-6-1
Feb 17, 2013
Edmonton, AB
Really fun player to watch. Top notch speed, non stop motor, nice hands and shot, great name. He has all the tools, but I think he lacks hockey IQ, sometimes his brain can't keep up with his speed and energy, which isn't uncommon for players his age, he just needs to put it all together.

He's pretty tall, but rail thin. Despite that looks like a good project for a team. I'd say late 2nd.

He reminds me of Carl Hagelin.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Wasn't he the guy who celebrated a goal by shaking hands with his team mates? Funny as hell.

#1GuinFan

Apr 4, 2003
canada
Visit site
It makes you tough. Johnny Cash had a song about this... A Boy Named Pu I think was called.

A boy named sue.

Pu meanwhile as mentioned is fast, fast, and fast. He does have a good 200ft game, I'd guess more in the 4-5 round range. He could be one of those selections that ends up being a steal right away. Hes got some grit, goes to hard areas, takes the knocks and comes back for more. Uses his speed to burn on the outside.

Unbiased

Oct 31, 2015
I feel like Hunter is gonna try his hardest to squeeze out Pu from this draft for the Leafs

Roughly6Owls

Dec 11, 2015
He does have a good 200ft game... Hes got some grit, goes to hard areas, takes the knocks and comes back for more. Uses his speed to burn on the outside.

Sounds like the kind of player teams love to draft late -- worst case scenario, he ends up like any of the Paul Byron/Steve Ott type of players hanging around: PKing winger who gets tons of breakaways and never finishes them.

horner

May 22, 2007
C Cliff Pu - London Knights, OHL (2016 Draft)

First rd pk in the ohl draft...starting to get offensive game together...defensively responsible...PU has incredible speed - comparable Athanasiou...As a Leafs fan I like PU as a 2nd Rd pk

What are your thoughts?

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
The latest ISS mock draft has him squeaking into the first round. Must 've tore it up in the last half of the year?

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
He's looked pretty good in the playoffs. Noticeably fast with a lot of energy. Still has some trouble finishing, but he's picking up his game when it really matters. He's becoming a fan favourite too.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Like his game, but you have to be really sold on his ability of his offence to take a sizable jump to take him in the 1st. Great skater, and works hard, would like him with Wash's 2nd. Will be interesting to see how he does next year, good chance of 1st line pp and centering Tkachuk.

SnazzyNazzy

Oct 20, 2012
Waterloo
He stood out in the couple of games I saw london this year... gets around the ice well that's for sure. Skinny but good size.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad