Prospect Info: C Christoffer Ehn (106th overall, 2014)

Debrincat93

Dec 4, 2002
Michigan
Nhl.com
4-106. C Christoffer Ehn, 6-3, 181, 45-4-7-11-14, Frolunda (Swe-J20).

From RWC:
Checking in at 6-foot-3 and 181 pounds, Ehn has excellent size and is a defensive-minded center. His numbers at the Swedish J-20 SuperElit level are modest, but he played two Swedish Hockey League games for Frolunda and represented Sweden at the IIHF world under-18 championship in May, playing a depth role in a fourth-place finish. Central Scouting ranked him 89th among European skaters.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
@georgemalik
Ehn will be playing with, as @asktheduffer noted, Dick Axelsson, Fabian Brunnstrom...and Mattias Janmark.

@Lindy72
Ranked 89th on the final Central Scouting European skater list, Ehn is a big-framed, defensively responsible center. #redwings #nhldraft

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Checking in at 6-foot-3 and 181 pounds, Ehn has excellent size and is a defensive-minded center. His numbers at the Swedish J-20 SuperElit level certainly don’t jump off the page, but he showed enough maturity to appear in two Swedish Hockey League games for Frolunda and he represented Sweden at the IIHF world under-18 championship in May, playing a depth role in a fourth-place finish. Central Scouting ranked him 89th among European skaters.

Good lord, this is not my kind of draft...

A1Portable

Nov 5, 2005
4-106. C Christoffer Ehn, 6-3, 181, 45-4-7-11-14, Frolunda (Swe-J20).

Wow ... let me get this straight, the Wings used a 4th round pick on a guy who played a "depth role" on his Swedish team? Are you kidding me?

Guys who succeed in the NHL are guys who dominate at the lower levels, not guys who provide depth at the lower levels.

wings95

Mar 17, 2009
Georgia
I would say the center depth is now better with a bunch of second liners and no first liners!!

zecke26

Jan 16, 2003
Wow ... let me get this straight, the Wings used a 4th round pick on a guy who played a "depth role" on his Swedish team? Are you kidding me?

Guys who succeed in the NHL are guys who dominate at the lower levels, not guys who provide depth at the lower levels.

depth role for swedish U18 at WC, not on his team.

BStinson

Nov 11, 2013
I would have went Ben Thomas there instead but hopefully Hakan was the one that said choose this guy.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage

At least it was a Hakkan pick, he has a better success rate than our organization typically displays in North America. He has a track record to deserve being given the benefit of the doubt, unless Babs was in his ear telling him to find a big center who can play a checking role.

It's possible, but hopefully Hakkan gets a lot of trips to the plate with this draft. We need some skill in this draft, might as well start trying to hit home runs and find the next Z or Pavs. Not saying it's gonna happen, but I'd like to see what Hakkan has up his sleeves.

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
I think that they're just rounding out the prospect pool. They've developed plenty of high-end skill on offense and defense and now they're going to try to develop some high-end 3rd/4th liners.

Basically, the Manthas, Pulkkinens, Janmarks, Nyquists, etc. are the future of Detroit's top 6. These guys are the future of Detroit's bottom 6. I don't hate it, personally.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I think that they're just rounding out the prospect pool. They've developed plenty of high-end skill on offense and defense and now they're going to try to develop some high-end 3rd/4th liners.

Basically, the Manthas, Pulkkinens, Janmarks, Nyquists, etc. are the future of Detroit's top 6. These guys are the future of Detroit's bottom 6. I don't hate it, personally.

The projected top 6 wingers are great.

The projected top 6 centers are not.

I would've preferred a guy like McCann or Fabbri and then the two big two way centers we drafted.

Roy S

May 16, 2009
I'm guessing they think Larkin has the upside to be a top 6 center.

Every other pick after that is a lottery ticket and you hopefully draft NHL players that are late bloomers.

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
The projected top 6 wingers are great.

The projected top 6 centers are not.

I would've preferred a guy like McCann or Fabbri and then the two big two way centers we drafted.

Sheahan looks to be developing into a 2nd line centre with a lot of good qualities. Let's not write off Larkin before we know more.

KRM

Jun 9, 2005
Gothenburg
depth role for swedish U18 at WC, not on his team.

Uhm, he played a depth role on Frölunda J20 too. Very smart defensive centre, good build to his body, can't finish for the life of him. Plays similar to Lars Eller but with no offensive abilities. Håkan Andersson is on Frölunda's board of directors, he must've seen something in him that I don't.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
I'm guessing they think Larkin has the upside to be a top 6 center.

Every other pick after that is a lottery ticket and you hopefully draft NHL players that are late bloomers.

I'd guess middle six. He could have more upside but it's been a loooong time since we've drafted and developed a top line center.

Hendricks433

Feb 18, 2013
Sheahan looks to be developing into a 2nd line centre with a lot of good qualities. Let's not write off Larkin before we know more.

Yea you have big playmaking defensive centers that feed Mantha, Nyquist, Jurco, Etc. I'd still prefer we draft at least a center with more skill despite size.

zecke26

Jan 16, 2003
Uhm, he played a depth role on Frölunda J20 too. Very smart defensive centre, good build to his body, can't finish for the life of him. Plays similar to Lars Eller but with no offensive abilities. Håkan Andersson is on Frölunda's board of directors, he must've seen something in him that I don't.

ehn played on 1st line in POs i think. not sure if L or R, but he played on wing there against örebro.

bababooeyII

May 28, 2013
I know it's Hakan Andersson and all but isn't this pick a reach? Couldn't this have been a 6th or 7th round selection? Just asking

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
Yea you have big playmaking defensive centers that feed Mantha, Nyquist, Jurco, Etc. I'd still prefer we draft at least a center with more skill despite size.

That'd be nice but it's hard to do if you're not picking in the top 5 or 10.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad