C Chase De Leo (2014, 99th, WPG, traded to ANA)

shello

Mar 5, 2011
MTL/NYC
30 points, 14 goals 16 assists, last season with the Portland WinterHawks playing in a 3rd line role. 3 goals in 3 games so far for DeLeo and scored another tonight. Played midget with Adam Erne in California but is only eligible for the 2014 draft. One of my favorites for sure for that draft, slick playmaker, him, Petan and Jones are really going to tear it up this year with Portland.

Shoots left
5"9
172lbs

R S

Sep 18, 2006
It's funny looking at Portland's roster recently as they've had a small, feisty, skilled guy eligible for each of the last few drafts:

Leipsic in 2012
Petan in 2013
De Leo in 2014

I would say that De Leo is likely the most skilled of the three, while the other two are grittier than he is.

shello

Mar 5, 2011
MTL/NYC
It's funny looking at Portland's roster recently as they've had a small, feisty, skilled guy eligible for each of the last few drafts:

Leipsic in 2012
Petan in 2013
De Leo in 2014

I would say that De Leo is likely the most skilled of the three, while the other two are grittier than he is.

All agree with you on that one but De Leo does have some grit to his game just as well as the other two.

arsmaster*

He's way smaller than Petan (or at least looks that way).

When he was awarded with the 1st star in Victoria on Sunday, he was presented with a gift from some 11-13 year old kids, and they were taller than he was (and he was on skates).

If Petan is 5'9", I'd say De Leo is 5'7" at best, and that might be stretching it.

But boy can he finish off plays in tight well...one goal was a really slick deke to the back hand (so smooth), the other was a one time quick release snap shot that he kind just scooped into the top corner from just outside the crease. Impressive player, on an impressive line, on a very impressive team.

Patmac40

BESTPOSTERINTHEGAME
Jun 7, 2012
Halifax, Nova Scotia
He's way smaller than Petan (or at least looks that way).

When he was awarded with the 1st star in Victoria on Sunday, he was presented with a gift from some 11-13 year old kids, and they were taller than he was (and he was on skates).

If Petan is 5'9", I'd say De Leo is 5'7" at best, and that might be stretching it.

But boy can he finish off plays in tight well...one goal was a really slick deke to the back hand (so smooth), the other was a one time quick release snap shot that he kind just scooped into the top corner from just outside the crease. Impressive player, on an impressive line, on a very impressive team.

I saw a picture of them side-by-side and it looks like Petan has about an inch and a half on De Leo.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
The kid still has a bit of growing to do, maybe he will finish around 5'10?

Yeah he is easily the most talented as RS said, but I don't think he is a softer player compared to the other two. I've seen him hold his own in the dirty areas. The thing is he's a slick player with decent stickhandling, which doesn't show his toughness.

The real question for the Dub followers here, is who do you guys prefer for the '14 draft, Point or De Leo?

It's really close and was very hard to pick because both have different areas of strength, but I take De Leo by an inch.

shello

Mar 5, 2011
MTL/NYC
Figured I'd be bump this after an impressive WHL playoffs and regular season. He's starting to come into his own more and more as the games pass.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Figured I'd be bump this after an impressive WHL playoffs and regular season. He's starting to come into his own more and more as the games pass.

I had De Leo over Point in the beginning of the season and before the playoffs, but I think I like Point more at this time. De Leo is on stacked team, but I always think he could do "more" on the team he's on. Still a great prospect, but Point has definitely passed over him for me.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Fits in nicely on the Hawks 2nd line with Leier and Bjorsktrand. I bet he has a big offensive season next year.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
C Chase De Leo - Portland Winterhawks, WHL (2014 Draft)

http://whl.ca/roster/show/id/8343
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=116909

I was just wondering if anyone around here has had an extended look at this guy?

I've seen a few games of his this year and in them he looked like a solid player to me. Smart, fast, good hands and feisty. He says he models his style after guys like Conacher, Gallagher and Ennis. His size varies depending on where you look, but on the stream I watched he didn't look 5'10...

Kind of like him for Ottawa's 2nd rounder this year (possibly).

http://flames.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=687516

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I made a topic about him earlier in the year with no responses. Was kind of thinking about Ottawa taking him in the 2nd round this year, but I doubt he falls that far anymore.

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
Playing at around a PPG, can he end up being another late first rounder from Cali ? i.e. Emerson Etem

As things stand, I can't see him going in the first. Size always seems to bump guys like him (Petan, Grimaldi, etc.) out of the first and I don't think there's a lack of talent that would bump him up.

shello

Mar 5, 2011
MTL/NYC
I can't see him going anywhere past the second, I could see him the first. He's been a man on a mission these past two months.

There are concerns about his size (he's probably around 5'10 now), but he's such a tank in terms of strength I don't think that it's a huge concern.

Last edited:

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I thought he would be better in his draft year than what he is showing now, sort of being a skilled veteran on a team which has lost a lot of talent. I did have him around 20th, but I admit I have been kind of disappointed with the lack of offense (even though he is above PPG). Now he seems more like a top 10-15 prospect in the 2nd round.

68Forever

Sep 2, 2008
Queens, NY
Isn't he still playing 3rd line center ? Or that's what the depth chart says at least ... He has both pétanque and leipsic ahead of him so a ppg is good in his circumstances

Oct 15, 2008
No. He is on the second line. Leipsic and Petan play on a line together. He has speed to burn, but I believe his numbers are artificially high because lets face it, Portland is stacked. Still. You can say they lost a lot of talent, but they have lost lots of talent the last two years and havent missed a beat. They are easily the most offensively loaded WHL team I have seen this year.

They can throw out five all stars on the pp and still have firepower left over. Even their third/fourth liners are above average WHL players imo. Luckily for fans, there are several other really good teams in the dub this year to give them a run for their money but none have the firepower that Portland has and at the end of the day I cant see how anyone can pick against them winning it all again. They are just too deep.

I doubt very much that De Leo will go in the first round, and I would even be surprised if he goes in the second tbh, but I suppose that is possible.

arsmaster*

No. He is on the second line. Leipsic and Petan play on a line together. He has speed to burn, but I believe his numbers are artificially high because lets face it, Portland is stacked. Still. You can say they lost a lot of talent, but they have lost lots of talent the last two years and havent missed a beat. They are easily the most offensively loaded WHL team I have seen this year.

They can throw out five all stars on the pp and still have firepower left over. Even their third/fourth liners are above average WHL players imo. Luckily for fans, there are several other really good teams in the dub this year to give them a run for their money but none have the firepower that Portland has and at the end of the day I cant see how anyone can pick against them winning it all again. They are just too deep.

I doubt very much that De Leo will go in the first round, and I would even be surprised if he goes in the second tbh, but I suppose that is possible.

Can't really disagree with any thing you said.

I don't think he's anywhere near petan's caliber and he fell to the 2nd with a 120 point season.

De Leo is one of those guys that are good in junior but I don't see much pro potential. I'd be surprised if he ever scratched 5'8" and he already has pretty solid facial hair growth (one of my helpers in determining room for growth. Not perfect but it helps).

All that said, he's probably a 1st liner on every other WHL team. He's been playing on a line that is as good as many if not most WHL 1st lines along with leier and bjorkstrand.

He has skill for sure. I wouldn't touch him in the 1st or the 2nd for me. Bjorkstrand is a much better prospect and fell to the 3rd round.

Oct 15, 2008

I don't think he's anywhere near petan's caliber and he fell to the 2nd with a 120 point season.

De Leo is one of those guys that are good in junior but I don't see much pro potential. I'd be surprised if he ever scratched 5'8" and he already has pretty solid facial hair growth (one of my helpers in determining room for growth. Not perfect but it helps).

All that said, he's probably a 1st liner on every other WHL team. He's been playing on a line that is as good as many if not most WHL 1st lines along with leier and bjorkstrand.

He has skill for sure. I wouldn't touch him in the 1st or the 2nd for me. Bjorkstrand is a much better prospect and fell to the 3rd round.

I agree. Bjorkstrand is just outstanding. He will prove to be a steal for the Jackets. A lot of gm's are going to be kicking themselves over passing on him three times I can pretty much guarantee you that.

That second line is just death for most teams. They just dont have the depth to run against that line AND the Petan line. Tbh I was more impressed with the second line than I was the first in the recent game against the Oil Kings. They are just a buzz saw.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL

I sort of disagree with you, I still think De Leo has some really solid strengths that most players do not possess as prospects, most notably his puck handling and vision (skating can be included as well). All three of these categories are up to NHL potential IMO. I agree that after those strengths his game is really 'meh'.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I have been very high on Chase for a few years now. I see a lot of Vincent Trocheck in him which is a great thing but doesn't always translate into getting drafted high. I have been bullish on him needing to be a first round pick, and though he still could very well be, I think he is better off getting picked in the second round with less pressure overall.

He has talent and skill and plays a gritty game. He has many traits that teams will covet. His size will always be an issue, but for what he brings overall you can do a lot worse then this kid in the top 60. Keeping fingers crossed for a top 30 selection as I think he deserves it, but I won't hold my breath on it!

Love to see him next year for team USA at the WJC.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad