C Carter Verhaeghe (2013, 82nd, TOR; traded to NYI)

Metalcommand

Mar 3, 2010
I want to hear Pierre have an Tokarski orgasm screaming his name. About his play I have no idea.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
Big fan of his.

He was Niagara's most consistent secondary offensive player this year (the Dogs had a little trouble generating offensive chances when Strome and Ritchie weren't on the ice).

He's already a pretty complete player. He excels down low by being an active forechecker and strong in the cycle game. He's got good vision and is often able to create offensive scoring chances for his wingers after gaining possession in the offensive end. He hustles on the backcheck and works hard away from the puck. He just needs to get stronger and a little quicker.

He's got a serious chance to be Niagara's captain next year (I think) and will be one of their go to offensive players. A 60 point season next year is definitely possible.

Stringer Bell

Dec 16, 2009
Big fan of his.

He was Niagara's most consistent secondary offensive player this year (the Dogs had a little trouble generating offensive chances when Strome and Ritchie weren't on the ice).

He's already a pretty complete player. He excels down low by being an active forechecker and strong in the cycle game. He's got good vision and is often able to create offensive scoring chances for his wingers after gaining possession in the offensive end. He hustles on the backcheck and works hard away from the puck. He just needs to get stronger and a little quicker.

He's got a serious chance to be Niagara's captain next year (I think) and will be one of their go to offensive players. A 60 point season next year is definitely possible.

Believe it or not, our director of player development expects an 100 point season out of him. Either this year or next.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Believe it or not, our director of player development expects an 100 point season out of him. Either this year or next.

I could see that - I agree with Brock's honed eye: the kid has a lot of offensive talent and is not just a one-way player. I was hoping the Sabres could get him with their plethora of 5th rounders but it was not to be. He'll have opportunity this season, that's for sure.

Anth93

Jul 2, 2012
I was really impressed by him in the prospect camp.

Not so much by his offensive tools, but he's on the puck non stop. Just hussles all over the ice.

Hopefully we see a Josh Leivo progression out of him.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com

Well...I'd say that's setting the bar a tad high. Talk about setting a prospect up for failure with your fan base!

The Dogs are going through a bit of a rebuilding process currently. The Eastern Conference will be very competitive and they'll be in a dog fight to make the playoffs (in all likelihood).

Offensively, they've got a lot of talent, but they're all young guys still maturing. I can't see anyone on that club scoring over 60 points this year, let alone cracking 100.

jedimyrmidon

Nov 30, 2012
Toronto

So he expects him to be 3rd or 4th in OHL scoring? That's... bold considering he isn't, say, Yakupov or a talented overager.

The Leafs' player of director development sounds more like a hype machine with that kind of comment.

snizzbone*

So he expects him to be 3rd or 4th in OHL scoring? That's... bold considering he isn't, say, Yakupov or a talented overager.

The Leafs' player of director development sounds more like a hype machine with that kind of comment.

Or they are just really high on him.

jedimyrmidon

Nov 30, 2012
Toronto
Or they are just really high on him.

Yeah, for sure.

I was just looking at who broke the 100 point mark last season, and there were only three: Trocheck, Sarault (overager) and Cousins. Strome and Galchenyuk would have had more than 100 points too had they played all 68 games.

So... I just see that sort of proclamation as unreasonably hyping up a guy who was just drafted.

Leviathan

Nov 25, 2008
I was really surprised to hear the praise coming from the Leafs scouting about Verhaghe. They seem to think they got a real gem in the 3rd round. I knew nothing about him before the draft.

snizzbone*

I was really surprised to hear the praise coming from the Leafs scouting about Verhaghe. They seem to think they got a real gem in the 3rd round. I knew nothing about him before the draft.

Limited minutes behind one of the best players in the CHL (Ryan Strome) along with being one of the youngest guys in the 2013 draft. They are hoping for a breakout.

Madic

May 21, 2008
Hughes said he could be a "100 point player in that league (OHL)". Nothing about this year. Still wildly high expectations, but get real, he didn't mean this year.

Leviathan

Nov 25, 2008
Limited minutes behind one of the best players in the CHL (Ryan Strome) along with being one of the youngest guys in the 2013 draft. They are hoping for a breakout.

Yeah I figured they just liked what they saw despite him not getting quality opportunities. Much like Sparks in his draft year.

CaptPantalones

Oct 8, 2006
Buffalo, NY
Really enjoyed watching him (and meeting him) at a few games his 1st yr. Was hoping the Sabres would draft him. Many in Niagara thought hed be better then Strome

member 147413

That 100 point prediction might not be a bad one at the end of the year. Seems like him and Perlini are working really well together.

Hot start, if say he likely finishes around 85. Still hoping for more though.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Was impressed by him in camp, and he has carried it onto the OHL this year. Drives the net, has good hands, plays with speed and grit. Morrison was lucky to get him at #82.

One of the youngest 2013 draft eligibles. Could be a gem.

16 points in 8 games.

JonSt

Nov 22, 2010
Aberdeen, Scotland
As most of have said, I think he could reach three figures this year. Last year he played on the 2nd line but didn't get much PP time with Strome playing 75 minutes a night. Could well be a steal for Toronto.

Future

Feb 8, 2011
Ontario
16 points (7 goals) in 8 games so far. Very impressed. I liked him a lot last year and was very happy to get him in the third round and thought he could be a steal. He is sure looking like one right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad