C Cameron Morrison - Youngstown Phantoms, USHL (2016, 40th, COL)

Vide

Mar 2, 2015
6'2, 203lbs centre leading the USHL in scoring with 15 goals and 30 points in 26 games. Committed to Notre Dame.

Does anyone have a scouting report on him? How good of a prospect is he?

canuckfan75

Jan 14, 2014
He can play left wing too.... Lots of teams have gone to see him

Kyle Dubas of the Leafs very interested in him

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
How is his skating? I have heard that is used to be sub-par (footwork & agility especially) but has improved considerably in the last year. Would that be correct?

From what I have read + minimal highlights:

Big, strong winger with an NHL level shot and a knack for putting the puck in the back of the net wherever he gets it. Physical and projects probably as a 2nd line Power Forward if everything works out. His production is fantastic in the USHL right now. How high he goes in the draft depends on how good scouts think his skating is (it used to be poor but has apparently improved a lot) and how much of his production people believe is him and not his older line-mates. (2015 5th round pick Chase Pearson is on his line, and 20 year old Japanese Yushiroh Hirano, who is pretty darn good at that level.)

Went 3rd round in OHL draft even though it seemed very likely he was going to take the NCAA route and was arguably the best player his age in the OJHL before he left Canada.

I mean, that production and his size surely mean he will get a look in the 2nd round if people think his skating is ok? Seems he has a serious ceiling.

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
USHL stats this season 45-26-23-49

6'2, over 200lbs

Looks like a first round talent to me. At least on paper...

Last edited:

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
Love to hear some more opinions on this guy if there are any active USHL followers around. He's one of the younger guys in the draft and has put together a very productive season in Youngstown.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Love to hear some more opinions on this guy if there are any active USHL followers around. He's one of the younger guys in the draft and has put together a very productive season in Youngstown.
Yeah, his statistics are impressive, so I'd love to hear a detailed report.

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
A pre-season write up:

The Phantoms added more size with this selection, adding the 6’3†center/wing from the OJHL’s Aurora Tigers. His 53 points (31g, 22a) ranked fourth on the team and sixth in the League this season as only a high school junior, and he was recently named OJHL Rookie of the Year, becoming the second youngest player to claim that honor. He was also named to the OJHL’s All-Prospects First Team- the youngest member on the team. He already holds a commitment to the University of Notre Dame.

Assistant General Manager Jason Koehler Says: “Morrison is the top goal scorer I saw this season while scouting. He has the ability to be a standout top-six scoring line winger, and has outstanding size, sense, and goal scoring ability. In my opinion, he has the chance to be a top-three round NHL Draft selection in the 2016 draft.â€

Source: http://www.youngstownphantoms.com/phantoms-add-size-and-experience-in-phase-ii/

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
I think he is a first round prospect in the top 20, though he could slip to the mid second round. Anything lower would be surprising.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
I would love to hear a detailed scouting report on this kid including potential upside, NHL comparisons etc. So little talk on him for some reason. One of the youngest players in the draft too.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
I would love to hear a detailed scouting report on this kid including potential upside, NHL comparisons etc. So little talk on him for some reason. One of the youngest players in the draft too.

USHL is a highly under-appreciated league and players always get taken lower than their talent level should suggest (Conner, Boeser).

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I didn't really think he stood out much in the U-18 WJC in a good or bad way. My guess is he's a 2nd rounder. But maybe someone fell in love with him as a prospect, and takes when the draft drops in quality around 22/23.

Mad Brills*

Heard scott wheeler on a podcast recently say that he has a good chance of being an nhl player. Probably not top 6, but a 3rd liner.

CowbellConray

Sep 8, 2010
USHL kid who could potentially be selected in the 1st? Sounds like a mid second rounder to me. A kid who has a weakness or two but can really develop well if everything goes right.

leaflover

Stanley Cup 2022
Mar 3, 2002
beautiful B.C
Visit site
Doesn't look like he made up much ground in the draft rankings but i'm not sure how much love the USHL gets.
Kind of hoping Toronto drafts Howden(might be gone by the Leafs 2nd pick) but Morrison might be an alright consolation prize. Mobility and size/physicality should be higher priorities this draft.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
I dont understand why he's ranked as a midd 2nd on MacK's list, to me he should be a lock as a 1st rounder. He's one of youngest player's in the draft, he has size, he's a scorer and he play's a complete game.. he also destroyed his rookie seasons in the OJHL and USHL.

I have him going between 20-30 and even then that's a steal for this kid, he's gonna be a stud.

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013
I dont understand why he's ranked as a midd 2nd on MacK's list, to me he should be a lock as a 1st rounder. He's one of youngest player's in the draft, he has size, he's a scorer and he play's a complete game.. he also destroyed his rookie seasons in the OJHL and USHL.

I have him going between 20-30 and even then that's a steal for this kid, he's gonna be a stud.

His play off of the puck needs some work.

The man is invisible unless he has the puck in the offensive zone.

That said, I do like his vision and scoring instincts.

ProspectsFanatic

Nov 13, 2012
Bump, any update about him?

By the looks of things he isn't having the greatest of season, but considering he is one of the younger players in the NCAA it shouldn't be too worrisome. Like the mix of skills and size this guy has, seemed like a good pickup at draft day in the mid 2nd round.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003

By the looks of things he isn't having the greatest of season, but considering he is one of the younger players in the NCAA it shouldn't be too worrisome. Like the mix of skills and size this guy has, seemed like a good pickup at draft day in the mid 2nd round.

I think he is progressing. As you mentioned, he is extremely young, as he does not turn 19 until late August of this year. He has a lot of the raw tools, it is just a matter of refining his game.

The ND coach noted early on that he needed to work on his play away from the puck, but the same coach also said that he is similar to a young Anders Lee in terms of ability.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

Started in the bottom 6, but with his improved two way play over the course of the season seemed to have earned him more of a chance. Should get a much more offensive role next season, which will hopefully be a success. As I like this kid as well and think he might be the avs best shot at getting a top 6er out of any of our non-first round forward prospects.

It's nice to finally have some young supporting pieces of our own on the way; as between Morrison, Compher, Greer & Beaudin; we should be able to put out a strong 3rd line that came through our organization in just a year or two. Here's to hoping the improved drafting in recent years continues without Roy & the Q-guys, and the eventual Duchene trade nets us that potential #1 that's so desperately lacking from our system!

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Continues his absurd clutchiness by scoring the GWG in the OT to help the Irish advance in the tournament. Will face Cale Makar and the Minutemen next.

Reactions: Lemonlimey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad