C Calle Jarnkrok (2010, 51st overall, Detroit; traded to Nashville)

Pellegrino

Oct 30, 2007
Sweden
Järnkrok is definitely a first rounder, to say anything else would be an insult to the NHL scouts.

If you NHL club have a good scout in Sweden, he will see Järnkrok's potential and tell the club to draft him.

I haven't seen him on many prospect lists here, but remember the name Järnkrok, you'll see him in the draft :yo:

Madic

May 21, 2008
When one of you Swedes said his name meant "Ironhook", and the potential for him to one day be called "Captain Ironhook" became clear...I already knew he'd be drafted. He could go 0-0-0 over a season and he'd still be drafted.

In actuality, I doubt he goes anywhere near the 1st round. At his size, just can't see it. I also have no doubt his recent great play at a higher level has boosted his stock to the middle rounds, but 1st? Realism, here.

zecke26

Jan 16, 2003
In actuality, I doubt he goes anywhere near the 1st round. At his size, just can't see it. I also have no doubt his recent great play at a higher level has boosted his stock to the middle rounds, but 1st? Realism, here.

actually he was considered the best swede in this draft and potential 1st round pick around a year ago. since then he dropped due to several reasons. but at the moment he's rising fast. not sure if it's enough to make it 1st round, but early 2nd he is.

so it's realism. :)

Madic

May 21, 2008
^ I have no doubt his recent strong play has given him the potential to go second round. Especially if he has a good U18. But he hasn't had much hype at all, no 1st round mentions from most reputable sources, and is still very small.

I'd say Jared Knight is a bigger (weight wise) comparable to Jarnkrok, except he's put up his numbers on North American ice playing the North American game. And he doesn't get 1st round consideration from most. So I can't see Jarnkrok vaulting himself into the 1st ala Karlsson unless he's infinitely more skilled than I remember him to be, and kills the U18.

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
^ I have no doubt his recent strong play has given him the potential to go second round. Especially if he has a good U18. But he hasn't had much hype at all, no 1st round mentions from most reputable sources, and is still very small.

I'd say Jared Knight is a bigger (weight wise) comparable to Jarnkrok, except he's put up his numbers on North American ice playing the North American game. And he doesn't get 1st round consideration from most. So I can't see Jarnkrok vaulting himself into the 1st ala Karlsson unless he's infinitely more skilled than I remember him to be, and kills the U18.

He's a late '91 so he's not eligible for this years U18 tournament.

Riddarn

1980-2011
Aug 2, 2003
Very impressed by him. Best forward talent in Brynäs since Bäckström, despite hard competition from guys like Rödin and Silverberg, who both were 2nd picks last year. Which should mean Järnkrok at least should be considered a candidate for the first round this year.

Aptur

Sep 13, 2009
Very impressed by him. Best forward talent in Brynäs since Bäckström, despite hard competition from guys like Rödin and Silverberg, who both were 2nd picks last year. Which should mean Järnkrok at least should be considered a candidate for the first round this year.

I'm very impressed by Järnkrok as well. He does everything. He is on the PK, he is playing point on the power play(!), he is on the ice on crucial moments of the game. He will be a steal if he doesn't get taken in the first round.

forty47seven

May 2, 2009
Too bad the Canucks don't have a 2nd or 3rd rounder...

The Canucks were rumoured to be picking Rödin with their 1st last year provided Schroeder didn't fall to 22nd. If Gradin thinks as highly of Järnkrok as the Swedish contingent on HF, I wouldn't be surprised to see Gillis using a 1st to get him.

spikelechien

Jan 8, 2007
Braeshore
I'm very impressed by Järnkrok as well. He does everything. He is on the PK, he is playing point on the power play(!), he is on the ice on crucial moments of the game. He will be a steal if he doesn't get taken in the first round.

Correct me please if I am wrong but Elite Prospects has him as 5'11'' 165 lb.. If that is correct he must be whole lot better than the stats I see for him - Brynäs J20 SuperElit 19 11 20 31 30 - Very few guys of that dimension make it - So tell me please why this guy is 1st round. Frankly, I don't see him before the 4th at best like Tony Rajala last year unless there is something I am missing.

thefeebster

Mar 13, 2009
Vancouver
Correct me please if I am wrong but Elite Prospects has him as 5'11'' 165 lb.. If that is correct he must be whole lot better than the stats I see for him - Brynäs J20 SuperElit 19 11 20 31 30 - Very few guys of that dimension make it - So tell me please why this guy is 1st round. Frankly, I don't see him before the 4th at best like Tony Rajala last year unless there is something I am missing.

From most reports, he is putting on muscle, but can gain more weight and build more muscle. One report also said he is still growing. You quoted his performance in the J20, but he currently plays in the SEL or Elitserien, which is against men. He is the youngest on his team and yet, he is the best performer in the playoffs, thus far.

And his numbers in the SEL are not that far off other 1st round picks

Jarnkrok
2009-2010
Brynäs Elitserien 33 4 6 10 2 |Playoffs 5 1 1 2

Jacob Josefson (In draft year)
2008-2009
Djurgården Elitserien 50 5 11 16 14

Marcus Johansson (In Draft Year)
2008-2009
Färjestad Elitserien 45 5 5 10 10 | Playoffs 6 0 0 0

Both Josefson and Johansson were 1st round picks. In 12 less games, jarnkrok has already eclipsed Johansson's point totals. Add to the fact that he plays a 2 way game, with top level skating/speed and skill. I can't imagine why teams would let him pass the 2nd round, much less the 4th.

@forty47seven, personally, that is what i have believed for quite some time now. Gradin is obviously our top scout and has been watching Rodin and Jarnkrok play together on the same team. I don't doubt that the Canucks have a big interest in him and once Gillis likes a player, i don't think he will hesitate to pick him. Also, not having a 2nd round pick, will make him more interested to make sure we get him if they do like him.

Only difference this year? Unless the Wings go to the CF/win the cup, they will be selecting before us. Who knows, Hakan may even like this guy even more and take him early. It should be interesting come draft day.

Last edited:

Aptur

Sep 13, 2009

His play in the last few games of the regular season in SEL and the playoffs have raised his value a lot I think. Sure, not that many games, but he has been playing awesome. He was arguably Brynäs best player in the playoffs, before prospects like Anton Rödin and Jakob Silfverberg(drafted #39 overall).

With that said, I don't think he will end up in the first round. But I expect him to be one of the biggest risers on the draft day compared to the draft reports. I think a lot of european scouts liked what they saw from him in the ending of this season.

spikelechien

Jan 8, 2007
Braeshore
His play in the last few games of the regular season in SEL and the playoffs have raised his value a lot I think. Sure, not that many games, but he has been playing awesome. He was arguably Brynäs best player in the playoffs, before prospects like Anton and Jakob Silfverberg(drafted #39 overall).

With that said, I don't think he will end up in the first round. But I expect him to be one of the biggest risers on the draft day compared to the draft reports. I think a lot of european scouts liked what they saw from him in the ending of this season.

I appeciate the feedback - I am a big fan of Anton Rödin - so if he is playing better than Anton then he is a true prospect - do you have any idea what size he will turn out to be if he makes to the NHL???

Aptur

Sep 13, 2009
I appeciate the feedback - I am a big fan of Anton Rödin - so if he is playing better than Anton then he is a true prospect - do you have any idea what size he will turn out to be if he makes to the NHL???

That is really hard to predict. I actually have no idea of what he can turn out to be. His playing style is quite similiar with Henrik Zetterberg actually. He will most likely be a second liner that is playing a good two-way game. Just me guessing though, so don't expect it to come true. ;)

By the way, Anton Rödin was playing great as well. The line with Silfverberg - Järnkrok - Rödin was the only line that was a threat in all the games in their playoff series versus Djurgården.

spikelechien

Jan 8, 2007
Braeshore
That is really hard to predict. I actually have no idea of what he can turn out to be. His playing style is quite similiar with Henrik Zetterberg actually. He will most likely be a second liner that is playing a good two-way game. Just me guessing though, so don't expect it to come true. ;)

By the way, Anton Rödin was playing great as well. The line with Silfverberg - Järnkrok - Rödin was the only line that was a threat in all the games in their playoff series versus Djurgården.

Off topic, I see Djurgårdens won the series 4-1 - how was Engqvist - how does he and Järnkrok compare - which is the better potential NHler???

Riddarn

1980-2011
Aug 2, 2003
Off topic, I see Djurgårdens won the series 4-1 - how was Engqvist - how does he and Järnkrok compare - which is the better potential NHler???

It's not a good comparison however you slice it. Järnkrok is more talented but Engqvist is much closer to being a finished product, since he's 4 years older and his much bigger frame. Engqvist was good though. Franzén light, if Montreal is lucky.

spikelechien

Jan 8, 2007
Braeshore
Nothing the matter with Franzen light!!! I like the way Engqvist goes to the net but I am worried about his foot speed -seems to be slow!!!

Garl

Oct 7, 2006

5'11 165 is not that bad. Erik Karlsson was 5'11 160 at the draft day, Mattias Tedenby was 5'9 170. Zetterberg was 5'8 150. Kronwall-5'11 155 etc.

Karlssonlee

Jan 13, 2009
Wow first time i'm hearing about this kid, and he seems to be getting alot of praise. As a Sens fan I'm quiet impressed with Silfverberg, what are the ceiling in terms of points in the NHL do you see from both these players?

KRM

Jun 9, 2005
Gothenburg
Wow first time i'm hearing about this kid, and he seems to be getting alot of praise. As a Sens fan I'm quiet impressed with Silfverberg, what are the ceiling in terms of points in the NHL do you see from both these players?

Silferberg, good third line winger with some offense, good defensive responsibility and work ethic. Järnkrok, could become a very good playmaking centre on most teams first line, with excellent vision and two way play.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad