Prospect Info: C Caedan Bankier (86th overall, 2021)

Puhis

Nah.
Jul 4, 2011
Jaervenpaeae
Corey Pronman had him ranked #110 on his list. Here's some info:

Bankier was a good player for a top WHL team, seeing his responsibility go up as the short season progressed for Kamloops. Bankier is a big center with a legit skill level and he’s able to make creative plays in small areas. He shows good offensive instincts in how he improvises and creates for his teammates. Bankier isn’t overly physical, but he competes well enough and can PK. He’s not the best skater and will struggle to separate off his checks at higher levels. In a sentence, due to his skill and size he has a chance to play in the NHL but his skating may hold him back from doing so.

6'2", 190lbs. That size plus reports of skill? Sounds like a good project pick.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Seems like he's got a pretty good shot. Not sure how good he is at carrying the puck and making plays. Looks like most of his goals come from good positioning in the middle of the ice. Could end up being a good pick but I know very little about him.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012

That hair, though. Bit soccer, but I kinda approve.

Kinda get Ek type vibes from him. Has some skill, is smart, skating isn't the best, has a good shot from between the circles and around the net, more north-south. Ek is a much more physical player though, and developed into a much better defensive guy.

If he developed into that level player though, that would be a major win.

Puhis

Nah.
Jul 4, 2011
Jaervenpaeae
Kinda get Ek type vibes from him. Has some skill, is smart, skating isn't the best, has a good shot from between the circles and around the net, more north-south. Ek is a much more physical player though, and developed into a much better defensive guy.

If he developed into that level player though, that would be a major win.

Oh, absolutely. Sounds like someone who could very well carve a solid bottom six career, with a middle six upside. That'd already be a home run in round 3.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Scored 3 points for Kamloops in first playoff game, albeit on a totally loaded team. Was 13th in league scoring during the regular season. 54% on FO’s. 6’2” and still filling out. We’ll see him in Iowa next year. Very nice year for the man, including his unexpected addition to Canada’s WJC team. :clap::crossfing:wave:

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Tied for 3rd in WHL playoff scoring, after some undrafted nobody called Bedard, and Logan Stankhoven.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
15 points in 8 gp. 2nd on his team after Stankoven. 6th in WHL scoring, tied with Savoie, and Guenther, both high first rounders. Great year for him.
Will be intrigued to see what he can do after this year in the pros. He's got the size and two ability to stick at C. We'll see about the skating... it's decent, IMO.

Last edited:

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Bankier with a nice catch and shoot goal in the 1st game of the Memorial Cup. He's got potential.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
His season is over. He ended up with 18 pts. in 14 gp in the playoffs. 8 were on the PP, and there is no doubt that he benefitted from being on Stankoven's line. 43% on the draws, though he was 54% during the year.
Nothing major sticks out about his game. Seems to be in the right place at the right time. Good size, but looks a bit thin, which is completely normal at his age. Hopefully we will see him next year in Iowa. He's at least 2-3 years away from NHL time, and that's if he pans out.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Think and Masters could be sent back to junior?

My personal opinion is that Bankier probably has a spot in Iowa solidified unless his camp is atrocious.

Defense is a little trickier because you already have O'Rourke, Hunt as young guys in Iowa, and Johansson who's slightly less young; then my gut tells me Spacek is gonna be in Iowa. You also have Lambos in that same boat where they could be in Iowa or go back to juniors. Hicketts, Mermis and Ottenbreit don't have contracts, but you have to think they're going to try to bring some vets back/in to the fold.

Basically right now we're looking at

O'Rourke-Johansson
Hunt-X (Spacek?)
X-X

If you bring up Masters and Lambos you'd either have young guys sitting every night or you'd have only young guys in the lineup every night. Neither of which is ideal. So for that reason my guess is Masters and Lambos will be back in the CHL.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Think and Masters could be sent back to junior?
Is the ECHL an option for Masters? I'd like to see him play in a more challenging league than major juniors. As an older player, he did well there last year, now they should advance him to the next level and see what he does there, as I doubt he learns much more in the WHL. I would be pleasantly surprised if he can beat out any of the top-4 AHL defense corps.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Is the ECHL an option for Masters? I'd like to see him play in a more challenging league than major juniors. As an older player, he did well there last year, now they should advance him to the next level and see what he does there, as I doubt he learns much more in the WHL. I would be pleasantly surprised if he can beat out any of the top-4 AHL defense corps.
Nothing wrong with the ECHLfor older players, but junior eligible players should stay there, unless they are very mature physically and character wise.

I am pretty sure that Mermis will be brought back to Iowa as Captain. SJo will be 24 yo in a couple of days. It’s possible that the team has seen enough of him, and will release him. I thought he was ok last year, just seems to lack physical intensity. Good on puck skills and IQ. I will be intrigued to see how Hunt and ROR develop this year. Would not be shocked to see one of them get some NHL time.

Bankier is a bit of a mystery to me. In my limited watching at the Memorial Cup he looked to have a good all round game( nice shot), but wasn’t very dynamic. Against the powerhouse teams(Seattle)his physicality looked mediocre, even though he has decent size. The AHL will be a challenge for him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad