C Brett Leason - Prince Albert Raiders, WHL (2019, 56th, WSH)

Stive Morgan

Fatso forgot to shake my hand
Jul 25, 2011
British Columbia
Justin Almeida went in the 5th round as a 5'11 one-time overager

Leason is better and bigger, but he's a double overager, so I imagine he'll go around the 3rd-5th, unless a team really likes him and takes him in the 2nd.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
Wait, is he really eligible for the WJC? I guess I just thought that him being a double overager made him too old...

If so, sign me up for a 6’4” defensively-responsible goalscoring machine.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Leads the league in game winning goals (5) and in short handed goals (4)
Leads the league in 5 on 5 goals (16). Leads the league in goals (22), points (47),
+/- (+34), shots on goal (127). Leads the league in PPG (2.14) - the only player in the league
who has scored at least 1 point in every game this season.

Is 8th in PP points (13). Is 234th in PIM (10).

Reactions: GrittyHawkDown

danyhabsfan

Feb 12, 2007
Montreal
At this point I don't see how he doesn't go in the 2nd round bare minimum. His stats are insane right now and he's a massive dude. I could even see late 1st round possibly.

more like 3rd-4th round.

it's his draft + 2 seasons

He's gonna 20 at the draft.

I remember Conor Garland having a phenomal D+2 season and being drafted in the 5th round.

Reactions: Deam78

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
He's producing over 2 points per game right now. Looked good in the WHL-Russia games I thought. He's legit.

Garland is a small and he was doing that in the Q. Apples and oranges, IMO.

Tanner Pearson had a similar breakout after being ignored in 2 drafts and got picked in round 1.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Some players just develop slightly slower than others
but then again, can one seriously say a 19 year old is too old and a late bloomer :) .

Brett just didn't develop up to his full, current potential at 16 or 17, but at 19 going for 20.
His age isn't (really shouldn't) a big deal, i think at the moment his age could be an advantage going to to the 2019 draft.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
He’s a bigger, stronger, better skating Jason Robertson (6’4”, 205 vs. 6’2”, 201). Leason is essentially the same age (April 30 vs. July 22, both of 99) and both have played on CHL teams with limited help this season (although Robertson was traded a day or two ago). While Robertson has put up 38 points (23 goals) in 24 games, Leason has put up an even more impressive stat line of 47 points (22 goals) in 22 games, and has done so while being far more offensively consistent and, in my opinion as a non-professional scout who has seen both play just a handful of times, significantly more reliable defensively.

I think most teams would be fine with trading a pick for this year’s draft between ~20 and ~30 for Robertson, so there’s no reason why a pick in that range wouldn’t be well used on Leason. He’s older than other prospects, sure, but he’s so much better right now as well. For teams picking in that range (read: contenders), why would you gamble on another guy being better in two years, who’s further away from helping?

Last edited:

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Leason will go in the first round if he keeps this up.

He's basically performing at the same level as high 2017 first-rounders like Cody Glass and Nick Suzuki. And is 6'4. And can skate. And goes straight into pro next year so you're waiting less on his development.

ProspectsSTC

Jul 12, 2014
The way I see it is: if someone told you in 2017 that this kid in 2 years time would be putting up the kind of numbers he is today with his game, you'd probably take him in the first round on account of his development. Why wouldn't a team do it in 2019 then?

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
He’s a bigger, stronger, better skating Jason Robertson (6’4”, 205 vs. 6’2”, 201). Leason is essentially the same age (April 30 vs. July 22, both of 99) and both have played on CHL teams with limited help this season (although Robertson was traded a day or two ago). While Robertson has put up 38 points (23 goals) in 24 games, Leason has put up an even more impressive stat line of 47 points (22 goals) in 22 games, and has done so while being far more offensively consistent and, in my opinion as a non-professional scout who has seen both play just a handful of times, significantly more reliable defensively.

I think most teams would be fine with trading a pick for this year’s draft between ~20 and ~30 for Robertson, so there’s no reason why a pick in that range wouldn’t be well used on Leason. He’s older than other prospects, sure, but he’s so much better right now as well. For teams picking in that range (read: contenders), why would you gamble on another guy being better in two years, who’s further away from helping?

That statement is a bit misleading.

Leason has scored 21% of his team's goals and put up points on 44% of them. His team is the best in the WHL, having only lost 1 game all year.

Robertson has scored 37% of his team's goals and put up points on 60% of them. His team is the 2nd worst in the OHL, having lost 16 games already.

Leason has obviously played with better players on a far better team than Robertson has. He's put up more points in less games than Robertson, but I'd argue Robertson has had the more impressive season offensively thus far.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
That statement is a bit misleading.

Leason has scored 21% of his team's goals and put up points on 44% of them. His team is the best in the WHL, having only lost 1 game all year.

Robertson has scored 37% of his team's goals and put up points on 60% of them. His team is the 2nd worst in the OHL, having lost 16 games already.

Leason has obviously played with better players on a far better team than Robertson has. He's put up more points in less games than Robertson, but I'd argue Robertson has had the more impressive season offensively thus far.

Team performance and %'s are misleading, for many many years Prince Albert Raiders have been bad and they still are, overall speaking.Raiders have only 2 players on that team that are winning
games for them; Leason&Scott.

Besides...now its gonna be a complete different story after the trade, a moo point.
Robertson gets to play with way better players with his new team, Niagara IceDogs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad