C Brett Leason - Prince Albert Raiders, WHL (2019, 56th, WSH)

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
I'd be interested to know more about Brett Leason.
Like above says 15 goals, 20 assists, 35 points in just 16 games.
- leads both WHL&CHL in points, ties highest ppg with Battalion's (OHL) Justin Brazeau (1998)

1999 born, went undrafted 2017&2018 drafts. (turns 20 April 30th)

Prior to this season, in 146 WHL career games, 24 goals, 30 assists, 54 points (0.36 ppg)
This season thru 16 games, 2.20 ppg. (+/- +27)

What makes it even more interesting is, Brett has almost twice as much points what Raiders next best player.

Big, right shooting RW, you'd think 3rd time's the charm for Brett. - could be a dark horse in the 2019 draft -

Brett44

Feb 11, 2017
can he sign as free agent with a nhl team or he must be drafted?

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
Might be the case that he’s just more physically dominant than any other person on the ice. Can’t imagine many 16/17 year old players being able to keep up with a 6’4” over 200lbs player.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Might be the case that he’s just more physically dominant than any other person on the ice. Can’t imagine many 16/17 year old players being able to keep up with a 6’4” over 200lbs player.

I'm sure thats part of it but theres lots of kids that are that big and not productive in junior. Also when you are that big, youre still pretty big for an NHLer so you should be able to carry over some of that offense if its being generated because of size.

Craig Button has him ranked at 46 on his most recent Craigs list draft ranking and hes continued to produce since that ranking as well. A recent guy I can remember having a late rise like this is Tanner Pearson. He was skipped in the draft a couple of times, then played on a stacked Barrie team with Scheifele and ended up being drafted late in the first. Now the kings have gotten a 44 points 24 goal season out of him and another 40 point season which is pretty solid.

The thing with Leason though is that he doesnt have a stacked team like Pearson did in Barrie helping pad his numbers. It will be interesting to see where he ends up in the draft because big guys who can score like that are rare

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
I'm sure thats part of it but theres lots of kids that are that big and not productive in junior. Also when you are that big, youre still pretty big for an NHLer so you should be able to carry over some of that offense if its being generated because of size.

Craig Button has him ranked at 46 on his most recent Craigs list draft ranking and hes continued to produce since that ranking as well. A recent guy I can remember having a late rise like this is Tanner Pearson. He was skipped in the draft a couple of times, then played on a stacked Barrie team with Scheifele and ended up being drafted late in the first. Now the kings have gotten a 44 points 24 goal season out of him and another 40 point season which is pretty solid.

The thing with Leason though is that he doesnt have a stacked team like Pearson did in Barrie helping pad his numbers. It will be interesting to see where he ends up in the draft because big guys who can score like that are rare

Exactly my thought.

BTW. Raiders have had 14 seasons in a row with negative GD, in 8 of them they have missed the play-offs.
- they did reach to the play-offs last season (first round exit), but season before that Raiders i think had like the worst record in the WHL.

So yeah, Brett isn't playing with top juniors of the Western Hockey League, that's for sure.

Reactions: Stive Morgan

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills

Yeah that team isn't stacked in the sense that they have a lot of good young guys. But they have a really really solid veteran core backed up by one of the better goalies in the WHL in Ian Scott. And they play a damn good defensive system which helps them on the offensive side of the puck. Jacob Brook (younger brother of Josh Brook), Ozzy Weisblatt, Kaiden Guhle, Cohner Saleski, Eric Pearce, Nolan Allan, Tyson Laventure Alexei Protas and Cole Fonstad make up a pretty decent young core as well so they should be good for awhile. Though with Scott likely departing for the AHL next year they will need to find a good goalie to remain a serious contender.

Reactions: Stive Morgan

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
The point streak continues, Brett pots 4 (2+2) points this time and the Raiders get another W, no biggie :)

The second best point getter was their 17 year old Russian rookie,
who scored his 15th and 16th point of his season.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Top 5 PA Raiders in goals this season

1) Leason - 17 goals
2) Kelly - 7 goals
3) Montgomery - 7 goals
4) Gregor - 6 goals
5) Sapego - 5 goals

Top 5 PA Raiders in points this season

1) Leason - 39 points
2) Montgomery 20 points
3) Protas - 16 points
4) Kelly - 14 points
5) Sapego - 14 points

Ducati Boy

HF Original
Feb 7, 2018
Actually, on HF, whatever a player does well in junior, a lot of people will say:

‘Sure, he’s faster and shifter than others in junior but how about when he’s facing pros who can all skate?’

‘Sure, he’s a great playmaker in juniors but how about when he’s facing pro defenses and has less time and space?’

‘Sure, he’s got a better shot than anyone else in juniors but how about when he’s facing NHL goalies?’

‘Sure, he’s physically dominant in juniors but how about when he’s facing pros who are all big and strong?’

‘Sure, he scores lots of highlight reel goals in juniors but how about when he’s facing pro defenses?’

Using this criteria, absolutely no one would ever become a top end NHL talent.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Yeah, he's good. Not just big and fast, but gritty and can pass, as well. Good all around player. He isn't C, though. At least, not on the WHL team.

North Country

Oct 24, 2012
He's going to get tons of attention with that combination of skill and great size. It's actually pretty amazing when you look at how many 6'4" - 6'5 forwards are on NHL teams and then compare to how so very few are available each draft year that have talent. The odds of that kind of size with skill just translates into the league much easier and at a much higher rate . I read that the average height actually went up last season so there must be plenty of (the few available) tall forwards coming in if there is also a trend of short defensemen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad