C Brendan Gaunce (2012, 26th, VAN)

gallagt01

Jun 10, 2006
Sloan
What's this kid's offensive upside?

He seems to be exactly the type of prospect the Sabres need in their system. A big center with a lot of character, a high motor, and some good two-way play...surely his offensive game has got to have some kind of upside or he wouldn't be a first round projection, no?

Can you tell me about his offensive game a little? Can be be a 30 goal guy, or is maxing out at ~20 more likely?

Jabba11

Hockey Lobby
Nov 28, 2009
hockeylobby.blogspot.com

He seems to be exactly the type of prospect the Sabres need in their system. A big center with a lot of character, a high motor, and some good two-way play...surely his offensive game has got to have some kind of upside or he wouldn't be a first round projection, no?

Can you tell me about his offensive game a little? Can be be a 30 goal guy, or is maxing out at ~20 more likely?

IMO, this kid's potential is sky high. When it's all said and done, he could go as high as top 5 at the NHL draft. He can pass, he can score, he can hit, he can fight, he can do everything. I would say that he's the best forward prospect after Yakupov, Grigorenko and Forsberg.

newtown33

May 22, 2010

The Habs and the Sabres are so similar, almost the exact same needs and players! Habs fans are very interested about Gaunce too, a big center with character and skills. Would Backes be a good comparable in terms of potential and style of play?

Gobo

Stop looking Gare
Jun 29, 2010
An ideal draft for the Oilers would be him + one of the many defenseman available.

Reminds me of Mark McNeil.

member 30781

IMO, this kid's potential is sky high. When it's all said and done, he could go as high as top 5 at the NHL draft. He can pass, he can score, he can hit, he can fight, he can do everything. I would say that he's the best forward prospect after Yakupov, Grigorenko and Forsberg.

Yeah.....no.

chaosrevolver

Snubbed Again
Nov 24, 2006
Ontario
Has an NHL ready shot already and uses his size really well in the offensive zone. Pretty good vision of the offensive zone. The area he has to improve more in, and has done so, but still needs work in it, is his skating.

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011

His skating is still suspect, fine for the OHL, but not NHL caliber. I would think maybe he could top out around 20, but sometimes players just have that knack, and he may be one. Its hard for me to judge because anytime I've seen him in Ottawa he has been fairly invisible. No doubt he is starting to put up good numbers though. At one time he was on pace for about 25 goals, but now a 40 goal season looks possible.

Jabba11

Hockey Lobby
Nov 28, 2009
hockeylobby.blogspot.com
Yeah.....no.

Then who is better than him? Girgensons? Collberg? Aberg? The only one who might be better than him that I've forgot is Galchenyuk, but even then, Gaunce has all the rest of the season to prove he could be better. He's last week's OHL player of the week. 5g 1 a for 6 pts in 3 games. Not bad offensively.

TheNudge

Aug 11, 2008

Can you take this guy serious after saying he might go top 5 after it's all said and done.
I might see him getting draft from mid to the end of the 1st. Also how can you exclude Alex Galchenyuk fromt he top 5 and include Gaunce. By the way the pro are predicting that Gaunce should get snab from 7th to arround 22nd. Like you can notice it's a bit too hard to predict where a player will get snab.

Eyelanders

Jan 9, 2011

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Gaunce's game isn't all the different from Ryan Johanson, except I'd call RJ the better playmaker and Gaunce more of a goalscorer. I also think RJ would be a better skater but Gaunce looks to have a bit more bulk. I think Gaunce will be that guy on draft day who someone really likes and ends up going top 5-10.

Roulin

Mar 21, 2007
Montreal
Can you take this guy serious after saying he might go top 5 after it's all said and done.
I might see him getting draft from mid to the end of the 1st. Also how can you exclude Alex Galchenyuk fromt he top 5 and include Gaunce. By the way the pro are predicting that Gaunce should get snab from 7th to arround 22nd. Like you can notice it's a bit too hard to predict where a player will get snab.

If my team has a top 5 pick, there's no way I want them to take a player who has missed his entire 17 year old season with an injury, no matter how good he was at 16. I'd rather have Gaunce than Galchenyuk at this point. Just my two cents.

Jabba11

Hockey Lobby
Nov 28, 2009
hockeylobby.blogspot.com

Everybody has their opinion on these boards. There's no need to be arrogant here. TBH, I had Gaunce going top 15 in August. Be honest, did you think that Mark Scheifele woulg as high as 7th overall at last year's draft? No. Gaunce seems to be that kind of player. As for Galchenyuk, I've already explain myself on an earlier post.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
Has an NHL ready shot already and uses his size really well in the offensive zone. Pretty good vision of the offensive zone. The area he has to improve more in, and has done so, but still needs work in it, is his skating.

Agree. It's not really so much just his skating, but more so his ability to handle the puck at a higher speed too. He's not one of those effortless skaters, and it seems to effect his offensive game at times. He can fumble passes or lose control of the puck when things are unfolding a bit too fast.

But when the game slows down and he's able to get possession of the puck in the offensive end, he can really go to work and is a very complete offensive player. Big shot, like you said. But also seems to read and react to plays well and does a great job of using that size to get his teammates opportunities to score.

I think he has a ton of potential. But he's also got a relatively low complete bust factor. I could easily see him developing into a 30-30 guy at the next level...or a hard working third line center who chips in a 15-20 line every year.

Jabba11

Hockey Lobby
Nov 28, 2009
hockeylobby.blogspot.com
Gaunce's game isn't all the different from Ryan Johanson, except I'd call RJ the better playmaker and Gaunce more of a goalscorer. I also think RJ would be a better skater but Gaunce looks to have a bit more bulk. I think Gaunce will be that guy on draft day who someone really likes and ends up going top 5-10.

Agreed with your post. That's what I was thinking when I wrote that he could end up being a top 5 selection. Because after Grigorenko, Yakupov and Forsberg are gone, teams that need forwards might take a chance on Gaunce. I think he'll finish the year in the OHL with a similar production as Johansen and Scheifele did back on their draft year.

JawandaPuck

Lost Art of Dynasty
Apr 10, 2007
Vancouver BC
jawandapuck.blogspot.com

Latest ISS rankings...

Top Four Forwards
Rank|Name|Pos|Birth|Sht|Ht|Wt|Team|Lge
1|Grigorenko,Mikhail|C/W|5/16/1994|L|*6.03.25|200|Quebec|QMJHL
2|Yakupov,Nail|LW|10/6/1993|L|*5.10.5|189|Sarnia|OHL
3|Forsberg,Filip|RW|8/13/1994|R|*6.02|181|Leksands|SweAl
7| Gaunce,Brendan |C|3/25/1994|L|*6.02|215|Belleville|OHL
12|Collberg,Sebastian|RW|2/23/94|R|5.11|174|Vastra|SweJE

Top Five D-men
Rank|Name|Pos|Birth|Sht|Ht|Wt|Team|Lge
4|Trouba,Jacob|RD|2/26/1994|R|*6.02|196|US U-18|NTDP
5|Murray,Ryan|LD|9/27/1993|L|*6.00.5|201|Everett|WHL
6|Dumba,Matt|RD|7/25/1994|R|*5.11.75|183|Red Deer|WHL
8|Rielly,Morgan|LD|3/9/1994|L|*5.11.5|190|Moose Jaw|WHL
9|Reinhart,Griffin|LD|1/24/94|L|*6.03.75|207|Edmonton|WHL

Mid-term CSS Rankings (North America)...

Top Four Forwards
RANK|PLAYER|TEAM|LEAGUE|HEIGHT|WEIGHT|POSITION
1|YAKUPOV, NAIL|SARNIA|OHL|5' 10.5"|189|RW
2|GRIGORENKO, MIKHAIL|QUEBEC|QMJHL|6' 3.25"|200|C
4|FAKSA, RADEK|KITCHENER|OHL|6' 3.0"|202|C
11| GAUNCE, BRENDAN |BELLEVILLE|OHL|6' 2.0"|215|C
12|GIRGENSONS, ZEMGUS|DUBUQUE|USHL|6' 1.5"|198|C

Top Five D-men
RANK|PLAYER|TEAM|LEAGUE|HEIGHT|WEIGHT|POSITION
3|MURRAY, RYAN|EVERETT|WHL|6' 0.5"|201|D
5|RIELLY, MORGAN|MOOSE JAW|WHL|5' 11.5"|190|D
6|MAATTA, OLLI |LONDON|OHL|6' 1.5"|202|D
7|DUMBA, MATHEW|RED DEER|WHL|5' 11.75"|183|D
8|REINHART, GRIFFIN|EDMONTON|WHL|6' 3.75"|207|D

poetryinmotion

Jul 12, 2011
If my team has a top 5 pick, there's no way I want them to take a player who has missed his entire 17 year old season with an injury, no matter how good he was at 16. I'd rather have Gaunce than Galchenyuk at this point. Just my two cents.

I really hope Timmins disagrees with you if he's on the table and Grigorenko/Yakupov are gone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad