C Brandon Shea - Québec Remparts, QMJHL (2013 undrafted)

sigx15

Jan 31, 2010
@chrismpeters
Chris Peters
"Hearing the same. 95-born RT @jrhockeywriter: heard from 2 sources Brandon Shea will be decommitting from BC 2 sign with Moncton Wildcats."

For those that don't know Chris Peters was the head of PR for USNTDP from 08-10

Assuming this would probably mean he would head up to the Q this year and forego his USNTDP commitment. Wonder if he signed with NTDP yet and if so will Moncton be paying the buy out fee. Don't think he would announce his deccommittment unless he was heading up this year. Although it could be them letting BC know early he's not coming because his father is a BC alum.

Big coupe for the Q either way.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Interesting to see two touted Americans both end up in the QMJHL in the same year. Should be fun to watch how they do and how the QMJHL handles their recruiting of American kids going forward, especially with New England hockey having a bit of a resurgence currently.

I'm sure the NTDP is thrilled.

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
There will be a new rule for the Q draft starting next June. Every team will have to draft at least two Americans. Not sure if it will change anything though.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
There will be a new rule for the Q draft starting next June. Every team will have to draft at least two Americans. Not sure if it will change anything though.

I know that was announced awhile ago, but it still surprises me given Hockey Canada's association with the CHL. Was there any in depth articles why that was initiated?

skroob**

Well, in any case, I'm sure USA Hockey will do what is always does... forget these players exist and snub them for every international tourney that comes along.

HockeyMonkey3

May 7, 2011
Quebec
Well, in any case, I'm sure USA Hockey will do what is always does... forget these players exist and snub them for every international tourney that comes along.

USA Hockey didn't seem to snub Ryan Bourque/Remparts or the multiple USA players playing in the OHL from international competition.

WreckItRask

Mar 5, 2007
Minnesota
He's talking more about players that signed with the NTDP only to bail before ever playing for the program a la Bobby Ryan and Jared Knight.

The same Jared Knight getting ready to participate at the WJC Summer Camp? I'm not saying it didn't happen, but I think USA hockey is starting to move away from doing stuff like this.

sigx15

Jan 31, 2010
Ryan Kennedy says its a done deal

@THNRyanKennedy
Ryan Kennedy
Official: Forward Brandon Shea is going to Moncton, not Boston College.

By the way if anyone doesn't know what happened with the Jared Knight situation, this is almost the exact same situation that happened with knight. London swooped in after he committed and offered him and paid for him to decommit from NTDP which I think is like a $50,000 buy out. I'm guessing Moncton will have to do the same thing for this to work.

To help in Shea's favor for future USA IIHF tournements, his old man is a scout for the Ave's and knows a ton of people in USA hockey. Also Shea has the potential to be a top 15 pick in the draft and I don't think USA hockey can afford to not have him play in the WJC if he turns out to be as good as his potential says he can be. I don't see him playing in the U18 tournement because that is the NTDP's pinnacle of 2 years of work and he told them to screw.

Edges7*

Feb 25, 2010
MA
To help in Shea's favor for future USA IIHF tournements, his old man is a scout for the Ave's and knows a ton of people in USA hockey. Also Shea has the potential to be a top 15 pick in the draft and I don't think USA hockey can afford to not have him play in the WJC if he turns out to be as good as his potential says he can be. I don't see him playing in the U18 tournement because that is the NTDP's pinnacle of 2 years of work and he told them to screw.

The memory of USAH is very long and the vendettas are real...no matter "who's yer daddy"...most recently, ask Brandon Saad.

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
It doesn't look good on Moncton and American players if they end up trading him this summer. They must be really disappointed with his play considering the hype he got before coming in the Q. He was considered as good as Erne. Maybe a change of team will help him get back on track.

Kevin Forbes

Jul 29, 2002
Nova Scotia
www.kforbesy.ca
Shea was one of the marquee American player poached from the US NTDP in recent years. With the changes in the rules in the QMJHL to encourage drafting US born players, this is, in a word, a very interesting development.

Shea doesn't have many options here. He no longer has the ability to go to the NCAA, so it is a choice between mending the relationship with Moncton or hope that they deal him somewhere for a better opportunity.

As mentioned above, he's a 2013 eligible, so the upcoming season is extremely important for him.

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
What kind of value could he have in the Q? Because he probably comes with an important school package. I don't see a team like Baie-Comeau being able to make a pitch for him. It'll probably be between Saint John, Quebec and Halifax if Moncton trades him.

herbst20

Jul 8, 2011
Couldnt he go back to the USHL if he wanted and just not be able to go the NCAA route. There have been a few OHL guys head back to the USHL this year already. Granted it would be a step back but another possible choice?

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
Couldnt he go back to the USHL if he wanted and just not be able to go the NCAA route. There have been a few OHL guys head back to the USHL this year already. Granted it would be a step back but another possible choice?

Yes, USHL could be an option.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad