C Bo Horvat (2013, 9th overall, Vancouver) II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soups On

Apr 27, 2012
Do people really think he's in Monahan/Galchenyuk tier?:help:

I think we have to wait till next season to find out. But the way he's trending, I can understand the excitement. Watch him play at both ends and it amazes me he's only 19. He's also been so clutch and that's really influencing the fanbase opinion on him.

With that said, when people come in here and make claims without clearly watching him play, it instigates aggressive retorts.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
On the Canucks board when projecting a future line up the majority are placing Horvat as our #2C.

I wouldn't. Ideally I want him as the third line centre with two solid, veteran wingers (Higgins and Hansen preferably). Gauge how tough the minutes they should play based on how well they handle them.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
I wouldn't. Ideally I want him as the third line centre with two solid, veteran wingers (Higgins and Hansen preferably). Gauge how tough the minutes they should play based on how well they handle them.

Yup

I think he'll be 3rd line center next year. And if Bonino goes down with injury Horvat will slot in there and get his chance.

Phrazer

Apr 2, 2008
Cairns
Maybe a little off topic, but it ties right into the discussion were having here.

But is anyone else starting to feel like the distinctive way of dividing lines into 2nd/3rd/4th lines is starting to become a thing of the past?

Discussing Horvat's line is a prime example of this. While if you average the talent of the line across the board it may be the least talented line, but if they starting playing more minutes than the "2nd or 3rd" lines can we really call them a 4th line?

I've noticed it disappear how coaches refer to their lines. And even in how they allocate minutes. It seems to be increasingly more chemistry dependent for building lines and allocating minutes based on current performance. Makes me feel that we may be putting ourselves behind the curve by forcing ourselves to have line mate discussions locked within the 2nd/3rd/4th line formats.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Maybe a little off topic, but it ties right into the discussion were having here.

But is anyone else starting to feel like the distinctive way of dividing lines into 2nd/3rd/4th lines is starting to become a thing of the past?

Discussing Horvat's line is a prime example of this. While if you average the talent of the line across the board it may be the least talented line, but if they starting playing more minutes than the "2nd or 3rd" lines can we really call them a 4th line?

I've noticed it disappear how coaches refer to their lines. And even in how they allocate minutes. It seems to be increasingly more chemistry dependent for building lines and allocating minutes based on current performance. Makes me feel that we may be putting ourselves behind the curve by forcing ourselves to have line mate discussions locked within the 2nd/3rd/4th line formats.

Yes I agree completely. A high end potential for Horvat could be Rod Brind'Amour (minus the high scoring era point totals), who in the latter end of his career with Carolina would be the perfect example of this as the '3rd line center' who played 22 minutes a night. As things stand now when Henrik hangs them up regardless of where you want to place Horvat in the lineup things can change but he projects to getting the most minutes right now.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
Canucks are a mess after the Sedins, with slurry of mismatched lines. Figuring what's up is a bit trickier than looking at the line-up notes. Horvat is on the fourth line on paper, but his TOI and deployments indicate second line usage. He's started getting power play time, too.

It's a role he's grown into.

Huggy

Respectful Handshake
Jul 22, 2014
Vancouver
Lol horvat has 0.4 ppg as a 4th liner with no pp time. Hes ready to be three times the player he is now in 4/5 years. Literally best player of the draft guarenteed

Black Noise

Flavourtown
Aug 7, 2014
North Vancouver
Lol horvat has 0.4 ppg as a 4th liner with no pp time. Hes ready to be three times the player he is now in 4/5 years. Literally best player of the draft guarenteed

I don't know about that... I mean 2013 was a crazy draft. I'd take multiple players over him:

MacKinnon, Drouin, Barkov, Jones, Monahan for sure, then Nurse, Ristolainen and Lindholm are pretty close.

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
Mackinnon, Monahan are the two best forwards from the 2013 draft at this point.
Jones is the best defenseman,

All 3 I'd take ahead of Horvat at this point.

Drouin's high end skill and offensive upside would be tough to pass up and I'd still probably take him ahead of Horvat.

After that I'd put Horvat into a group of Barkov, Lindholm, Ristolainen and Nurse where you can argue for any of them. Which at the draft I don't think you could've put Horvat in this group, so he has moved up nicely.

Too2train

Nov 28, 2011

Well ****... I mean if it is gaurenteed right?! Thanks for the chuckle.

Do like what i've seen of him this year. Idunno much about the nucks C situation next year, do people think he will at least be playing 3C or whats the deal?

canuck4life16

It what it is-mccann
May 29, 2008
Vancity
Galchenyuk is also playing on the third line due to two center ahead of him at the same age as Horvat who is only two goals back of his 2013/2014 so a comparison is fair to a certain point?

Galchenyuk

GP 65 13 18 31

Horvat

GP 52 11 9 20 (currently)

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006

100%. I think it's pointless to have a 2nd/3rd line distinction.

I made a thread about it once upon a time...

With enforcers gone.... player categories will move to :

Top line player - elite scorers (Sedin)
Top 6 player - skilled, 2nd tier scorers that can jump up in a pinch (Vrbata)
Middle 6 player - skilled 2-way capability, or provides good depth scoring (Higgens)
Bottom 6 player - utility, defensive, glue, energy guys. (Dorsett)

The 5 min/night player is no longer going to be worth a roster spot.

Edit: I see you were talking about lines.... not players... But still relatable. in terms of how coaches use their lines i guess.,

Last edited:

Nunymare

/ˈnʌnimɛr/
Sep 14, 2008
YEG
Watch it with the flaming/generalizations, please. Only warning. Further violations may result in being tossed from the thread or infractions.

Last edited:

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam
I was amazed to find out that he's getting heavier as the season goes on and seems to be getting faster too. currently playing at 220lbs and looks faster than ever. must be solid muscle. he's a tank for a 19 year old.

Seatoo

Never Stop Poasting
Oct 19, 2012
Okanagan
Horvats ceiling is a very good 2 way 1B/2A centre like Kesler. His floor, at this point seems like a 4th line checking centre, likely he will be a more offensively minded version of 2010-2011 Malhotra.

Horvat has only impressed, will he be the best from his draft year? Of course not. Will he be a very good player for a long time? At this point it seems more likely than not, but will he be a superstar? Absolutely not. He was, is, and will be a very good pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad