C Berkly Catton - Spokane Chiefs, WHL (2024 Draft)

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
I watched the WHL a ton this year. A ton. There were shifts, periods, even games where Spokane got dominated and Catton had bad nights. The over arching theme with the player is that he IS committed defensively. He’s an extremely smart player. He skates really well. He has soft hands and is a really good passer. He has a quick release. He’ll battle in the corners.

Other AVID whl viewers in here will likely echo those comments.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
is his frame any bigger risk than jack hughes or mitch marner? they both wen high and seemed to do okay against bigger and stronger guys. not saying catton is gonna be on that level, but hasn't he faced these issues his entire hockey life and has still starred everywhere he has been?
What is concerning is the strength level at this point of his development, if you cant get physically involved against junior level players because of your weak frame, how its going to be in the pro?

I refer to the poster I quoted who explained quite well why some players have limited potential growth and Im effraid Catton is in that mold, he looks pretty tiny shoulder to shoulder.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Catton will get a good test playing 1C for Canada at the U18s. Celebrini (who is quite a few months younger than Catton) went 15 points in 7 games last year when he was a year younger. What will Catton do?

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
I watched the WHL a ton this year. A ton. There were shifts, periods, even games where Spokane got dominated and Catton had bad nights. The over arching theme with the player is that he IS committed defensively. He’s an extremely smart player. He skates really well. He has soft hands and is a really good passer. He has a quick release. He’ll battle in the corners.

Other AVID whl viewers in here will likely echo those comments.
There is alot of positional cheating in his game as well, combine that with the frame issue, the risk factor will make him drop on draft day. I think he goes around 15 OV.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Catton will get a good test playing 1C for Canada at the U18s. Celebrini (who is quite a few months younger than Catton) went 15 points in 7 games last year when he was a year younger. What will Catton do?
He was dominant at the Hlinka, so Im expecting him to be one of the top scorers in the tournament on a stacked team Canada team, but Lindstrom, Iginla will likely rule on the competition as well. Helenius would have killed it too, but likely makes the men roster for the WC. I dont think Catton's tenure at the U18 will change most scouts views on him, we all saw the good and bad from him already.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
What is concerning is the strength level at this point of his development, if you cant get physically involved against junior level players because of your weak frame, how its going to be in the pro?

I refer to the poster I quoted who explained quite well why some players have limited potential growth and Im effraid Catton is in that mold, he looks pretty tiny shoulder to shoulder.
again though, isn't that the case with jack and marner? first time i saw marner at 18 against nhl players (preseason) i was afraid there was no way he would be able to compete at that size with that strength. the next year, not looking much bigger, he put up 61 pts as a 19 yo. hughes spent his 18 yo season getting pushed around and by his 20 yo season he was a blossoming star. my comparison isn't on talent, but on frame. both those guys had same concern as you cite on catton and both worked out quite well.

now maybe catton doesn't have enough elite qualities to overcome those physical limits, but that feels like the question we should be asking rather than does he have enough strength.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
is his frame any bigger risk than jack hughes or mitch marner? they both wen high and seemed to do okay against bigger and stronger guys. not saying catton is gonna be on that level, but hasn't he faced these issues his entire hockey life and has still starred everywhere he has been?
He was dominant at the Hlinka, so Im expecting him to be one of the top scorers in the tournament on a stacked team Canada team, but Lindstrom, Iginla will likely rule on the competition as well. Helenius would have killed it too, but likely makes the men roster for the WC. I dont think Catton's tenure at the U18 will change most scouts views on him, we all saw the good and bad from him already.
"Concern" (with air quotes) with him is that he may be like a 75-80 % of the sorta guy you'd take 1st while not bringing much of a different element with the whole slight of frame, skill guy thing. Question is if the skill is high enough that you see him as a top 3 forward guy you'd put as a 1st line type of player (even if the 1B line thing) or if he's more a 2nd line guy. It's still a good prospect, but probably not one you'd take in the top 5.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
again though, isn't that the case with jack and marner? first time i saw marner at 18 against nhl players (preseason) i was afraid there was no way he would be able to compete at that size with that strength. the next year, not looking much bigger, he put up 61 pts as a 19 yo. hughes spent his 18 yo season getting pushed around and by his 20 yo season he was a blossoming star. my comparison isn't on talent, but on frame. both those guys had same concern as you cite on catton and both worked out quite well.

now maybe catton doesn't have enough elite qualities to overcome those physical limits, but that feels like the question we should be asking rather than does he have enough strength.
Thing is, I dont see Catton as a same talent level as Hughes or Marner, for me the best outcome would be a Keller like player, but still, everything would need to go right to reach that level.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
he is 5'10 170 pounds, Iginla 6 foot 186 pounds and Iginla definitely is a powerful player, he skating is explosive, he uses his frame to sheild the puck from his opponents, he is very strong on pucks. Iginla plays a pro game already, Catton a junior one.

Iginla's ability to quickly pivot and shield the puck is a very impressive pro trait. I think he'll be a good one.

I mostly laugh though when I see people say he is a power forward or is just like Ryan Leonard. Maybe someone tracks time below the goal line but I feel like I don't see Iginla play in those dirty areas nearly as much.

I'd sooner compare Iginla's game to a player like Gus Nyquist. Perhaps better than Nyquist, but similar in how they use their frames to protect the puck and open up space.

I like your Keller comparison for Catton, but I am not as pessimistic about Catton reaching that level.

There is no physical commitment with Catton. Benson, Brindley, Helenius are throwing their body around. Anyway if you cant see it thats your prob, but dont ask yourself why he drops to mid 1st round.

I'm not sure you'd want Catton to play like them. I'm not sure if scouts actually want those guys to play the way they do! I'm remember scouts talk about Benson and Brindley last year, and how short their careers might be given their playstyles. I believe it was hockeyprospect that published quotes from several scouts saying that Brindley's tenacious highly physical approach made him unlikely to survive the pros, they want smaller players to be elusive, not sacrificing the body.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
somewhat but Catton will be a center, is bigger and even more skilled. If you combine Hughes+Benson would get a Catton

Benson and Catton are not similar players. Jarvis is a bit like Benson, but really not many players are, he's a more unique player. Catton is a good one but his profile fits more neatly in the perimeter playmaker mold.

Someone here said Stuetzle. Two inches shorter Stuetzle is a good comp.

Catton picks his spots more while Stutzle is constantly attacking with the puck.

Reactions: Sergei Shirokov

ello

Jun 12, 2018
I don't see how winning a single fight is this end-all-be-all proxy for playing a gritty, effective physical game.

I like both these players but in a pinch I think Tij's game appeals to me more. Just seems like a more useful archetype of player, especially if neither reaches their ceiling. A guy like Catton has really has to hit to be very valuable, imo. Otherwise a 50-60 point, small-ish skill winger without a particularly physical game or high end speed just doesn't move the needle for me and at this point I wouldn't bet much money on Catton being in that Marner/Kane tier.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
I don't see how winning a single fight is this end-all-be-all proxy for playing a gritty, effective physical game.

I like both these players but in a pinch I think Tij's game appeals to me more. Just seems like a more useful archetype of player, especially if neither reaches their ceiling. A guy like Catton has really has to hit to be very valuable, imo. Otherwise a 50-60 point, small-ish skill winger without a particularly physical game or high end speed just doesn't move the needle for me and at this point I wouldn't bet much money on Catton being in that Marner/Kane tier.
Never said winning a fight makes Catton have some sort of gritty play style, or that he plays physical. Wouldn't want a guy like him playing physical. But you can't be soft. You have to be willing to drive the net and go in the corners, which he does. The poster said he was soft. Fighting a player bigger than you and winning is not soft.

Reactions: cheechoo

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York

Catton definitely has high end speed.

Reactions: cheechoo

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
If he doesn’t end up a 1C (it’s tough, margins are tight around the league there) is he more likely to be a 1W or a 2C? How much experience does he have at wing? I think I’d prefer a 1W over a 2C.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
If he doesn’t end up a 1C (it’s tough, margins are tight around the league there) is he more likely to be a 1W or a 2C? How much experience does he have at wing? I think I’d prefer a 1W over a 2C.
Think he has always played C. Would expect he could play 1W though. I would guess it goes 1C-->1W. The only thing I can see being a reason he can't play C is the size. If he can't put on the weight. The feet and hockey sense will allow him to stick at C, everything else is high end. Its just the size factor. If he is smaller and gets pushed to wing then I still think its the high end W like Keller.

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
Starting to look like he's available at 8th. For the old timers, would Daymond Langkow be a good comp? Similar size, numbers, and draft slot

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
Kind of hard to get a good comp for him. The most recent comparables for undersized forwards are players like Caufield, Bedard, Perfetti, Nazar, and Benson. They all vary in skill-level, but they were all seen as high profile players. Bedard's a bit of an exception because he is so phenomenal. I'd say he kind of reminds me of Caufield mixed with Perfetti. Catton is a guy that will boost your top 6 with skill, but I'm not certain he's a game changer. More of an offense enhancer that likely ends up on the wing.

There are some others that got pushed back because of their size and were seen as perimeter players. We will likely see the same with Teddy Stiga this year as we did with Riley Heidt last year

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad