C Berkly Catton - Spokane Chiefs, WHL (2024 Draft)

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Benson and Catton are not similar players. Jarvis is a bit like Benson, but really not many players are, he's a more unique player. Catton is a good one but his profile fits more neatly in the perimeter playmaker mold.

Catton literally led all WHL Cs in SOG this season.

I think he's a bit overrated on this board but the one x-factor thing he really has is that he's a high-volume shooter with a bit of a Bedard-esque release.

Kind of hard to get a good comp for him. The most recent comparables for undersized forwards are players like Caufield, Bedard, Perfetti, Nazar, and Benson. They all vary in skill-level, but they were all seen as high profile players. Bedard's a bit of an exception because he is so phenomenal. I'd say he kind of reminds me of Caufield mixed with Perfetti. Catton is a guy that will boost your top 6 with skill, but I'm not certain he's a game changer. More of an offense enhancer that likely ends up on the wing.

There are some others that got pushed back because of their size and were seen as perimeter players. We will likely see the same with Teddy Stiga this year as we did with Riley Heidt last year

This is probably pretty accurate. His size/skating/puck skills combination is pretty Perfetti-esque but with a superior shot and shooting mentality.

Some echoes of Nick Suzuki at that age as well but Suzuki is now listed at 212 lbs. and I don't think Catton will ever carry nearly that much weight on his frame.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Kind of hard to get a good comp for him. The most recent comparables for undersized forwards are players like Caufield, Bedard, Perfetti, Nazar, and Benson. They all vary in skill-level, but they were all seen as high profile players. Bedard's a bit of an exception because he is so phenomenal. I'd say he kind of reminds me of Caufield mixed with Perfetti. Catton is a guy that will boost your top 6 with skill, but I'm not certain he's a game changer. More of an offense enhancer that likely ends up on the wing.

There are some others that got pushed back because of their size and were seen as perimeter players. We will likely see the same with Teddy Stiga this year as we did with Riley Heidt last year
Cooley too is another.

Catton literally led all WHL Cs in SOG this season.

I think he's a bit overrated on this board but the one x-factor thing he really has is that he's a high-volume shooter with a bit of a Bedard-esque release.

This is probably pretty accurate. His size/skating/puck skills combination is pretty Perfetti-esque but with a superior shot and shooting mentality.

Some echoes of Nick Suzuki at that age as well but Suzuki is now listed at 212 lbs. and I don't think Catton will ever carry nearly that much weight on his frame.
Perfetti is a mediocre skater. Even if you don’t think Catton is a great skater, surely you have to admit there’s a gap in their skating.

Reactions: JeffreyLFC

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Perfetti is a mediocre skater. Even if you don’t think Catton is a great skater, surely you have to admit there’s a gap in their skating.

It's a bit better but it's always fascinating to see skating compared to junior players vs. compared to NHL players. Catton is probably a pretty average NHL skater if/when he makes it.

NA Hockey

Nov 16, 2015
Cooley too is another.

At the same age Catton is a faster skater for sure but his edges etc aren’t as good. I think they profile similarly but Perfetti has a higher hockey IQ and better playmaker while Catton is more of a shooter.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Cooley too is another.

Absolutely, and Catton is already bigger. Catton and Perfetti might have some similarities in IQ and skills, but otherwise i just don't see them being similar. I've been saying this for months, but I think that Catton could be the next RNH. Really good skater, slight frame, average'ish size and strength at best, smart, skilled, but not amazingly so.

Whether Catton develops into more of an offense only, or two way player, will likely depend on which team drafts and develops him.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Absolutely, and Catton is already bigger. Catton and Perfetti might have some similarities in IQ and skills, but otherwise i just don't see them being similar. I've been saying this for months, but I think that Catton could be the next RNH. Really good skater, slight frame, average'ish size and strength at best, smart, skilled, but not amazingly so.

Whether Catton develops into more of an offense only, or two way player, will likely depend on which team drafts and develops him.
I see some of that. RNH is a little taller, but a slightly smaller RNH/Stuetzle hybrid makes some sense as a comparison. There’s no great current comparison though. Sometimes that’s going to be the case.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Damn, if Catton had hip issues it's a wonder what kind of season he would have had if he was 100% healthy.

It makes a lot more sense why some later viewings had people saying he wasn't competitive or trying to get inside. His game always had those elements for me, but playing 30 minutes a night with a bad hip? Man.. that's an impressive year with those things.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad