C Barrett Hayton (2018, 5th, ARZ)

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Welcome to AZ I guess. Hopefully the GM is fired for this.

Didn't Arizona go crazy and draft Blake Wheeler at #5? That player turned out all right (well not for Arizona but you know what I mean). We will have to wait and see if this was genius or insanity. The only thing that shocks me is they didn't trade down, it is hard to think someone would have moved up for Zadina.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
This is either a pick that makes Chayka look like a genius, or a moron. I like what I've seen of Hayton, but in the moment I despised the pick. I still would've preferred Zadina, but Hayton seems to have a lot of talent to go along with a high iq and worth ethic.

We'll see how it pans out long term, but I expect Zadina to pot 20 in the NHL this year and for this to look terrible. The two seasons after that are where it gets interesting.

Reactions: The Winter Soldier

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
I feel like Hayton is getting underrated here. He’s an incredibly smart, tenacious player who really came into his own in the playoffs. He’s a very intelligent defender, too. He was a victim of the numbers game in SSM a bit, but he’ll get a real test next year when he takes on more responsibility. I’ve got faith in the kid.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I feel like Hayton is getting underrated here. He’s an incredibly smart, tenacious player who really came into his own in the playoffs. He’s a very intelligent defender, too. He was a victim of the numbers game in SSM a bit, but he’ll get a real test next year when he takes on more responsibility. I’ve got faith in the kid.

Chayka will look like a moron if he doesn't pop next year and start playing a big role for Team Canada.

Elias Pettersson

I'm not a troll
Jan 22, 2014
How does he compare to someone like Bo Horvat? Canucks were also heavily scrutinized for picking Horvat due to perceived limited offensive upside.

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
Chayka will look like a moron if he doesn't pop next year and start playing a big role for Team Canada.
I won’t argue that, but you’ve got to give the kid a chance first. He’s more than just a “safe” pick - he’s got a good deal of offensive upside to him. He just so happens to also be a great 2-way player, as well. I could see his point totals rocketing next year with increased ice time.

Reactions: Matias Maccete

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
I feel like he’s a sure shot nhler but I’m not sure he has the high end skill to justify taking him so high. All around centers are something you can never have too many of at the end of the day.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Didn't Arizona go crazy and draft Blake Wheeler at #5? That player turned out all right (well not for Arizona but you know what I mean). We will have to wait and see if this was genius or insanity. The only thing that shocks me is they didn't trade down, it is hard to think someone would have moved up for Zadina.

Not sure about picking Hayton at #5k. But I’m getting the impression from this draft that “trading down” isn’t going to net much if you really want a specific player and expect to minimize the risk the player will still be there after moving down.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
wow... man oh man does Craig Button look like a genius right now, having him ranked 7th in his own personal ranking.

everyone made fun of him, laughing at Ty Smith being ranked 20th (goes 17th), Hayton ranked 7th, goes 5th, looking stupid right now, never question Button. He's not always perfect but man did he pwn hfboards.com.

anyways, I don't know much, but a solid pick. Your team thought he's a top 5 guy, you go for it.

Chayka must have been that one edgy hipster kid.

yea it looked like an expensive suite he was wearing.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
wow... man oh man does Craig Button look like a genius right now, having him ranked 7th in his own personal ranking.

He knew AZ was taking Hayton before it was announced. Chayka admits to being obsessed with him 6 months before the draft.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
There is pretty continual link between Button having a guy high and the Coyotes also have that player high . They generally draft his guy who is BPA (Strome at 3 and Keller at 7) or they draft someone he ranked significantly higher than everyone else (POJ or Hayton). I don't think its a coincidence at this point. He also tends to have Coyotes filled with his post drafting rankings (see Max Domi at 1 in 2015, Strome and Dvorak at 2 and 3 ahead of Marner in February of 2016). It also pre-dates Chayka.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad