C Barrett Hayton (2018, 5th, ARZ)

member 147413

Couple of head scratchers yesterday. This is near the top of the list for me. I like the player, don’t know if I like him at 5.

Just makes Veleno falling, all the more confusing to me.

ookhaab

Jun 8, 2016
Couple of head scratchers yesterday. This is near the top of the list for me. I like the player, don’t know if I like him at 5.

Just makes Veleno falling, all the more confusing to me.

If veleno didnt have exceptional status he would be 2nd rounder at best

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Chayka basically bet his job against Zadina + Hayton being the guy from the Ivan Hlinka tournament and a ten game stint when the Greyhounds were shorthanded. That's ballsy.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I’m not sure why anyone would be confused by this. It’s clear AZ wants and needs top 6, C’s, Hayton was the best guy on the board, period. I think he has Horvat upside. Nice pick.

Reactions: hong57

ijuka

May 14, 2016
I still think it's a huge risk to go with a pick like this. I just don't see it. He's never going to be a 1C and even being a 2nd line C is uncertain. You don't use a top 5 pick on such limited upside.
If veleno didnt have exceptional status he would be 2nd rounder at best
I think it's the exact opposite. If Veleno wasn't granted exceptional status, he wouldn't be considered a disappointment for an exceptional status player and would just be judged by his own merits, which would rate him higher than where he went in my opinion.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I’m not sure why anyone would be confused by this. It’s clear AZ wants and needs top 6, C’s, Hayton was the best guy on the board, period. I think he has Horvat upside. Nice pick.
As a Canucks fan, Horvat IMO is a 2C. Don't ever see him as a 70 point guy. Has the skill to crack 60.

If the Coyotes need C, then I wonder if they are concerned about Strome's development. Keller is a C isn't he? Then they added Galchenyuck who can play C, ideally on the 2nd line. Wings they have Dvorak, Fisher. Figured that they would have taken Zadina or Hughes at their spot. But, each team makes their own call about what they value.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
As a Canucks fan, Horvat IMO is a 2C. Don't ever see him as a 70 point guy. Has the skill to crack 60.

If the Coyotes need C, then I wonder if they are concerned about Strome's development. Keller is a C isn't he? Then they added Galchenyuck who can play C, ideally on the 2nd line. Wings they have Dvorak, Fisher. Figured that they would have taken Zadina or Hughes at their spot. But, each team makes their own call about what they value.

Keller is a winger. They were playing Domi out of position at C last season. Galchenyuk definitely helps, but I also think there are serious concerns about Strome.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
I was shocked by this pick (only because it was 5th overall), but Hayton will be fantastic. He's not gonna be a 1C, but he does have the potential to be a 2C. He's got skill, vision, creativity, hustle, never quits, and is very responsible defensively. Many games he was the Soo's best player. Especially during these playoffs. Many nights he seemed like the only one that showed up to play. If he makes Canada's WJC team, Coyotes fans are going to fall in love with this guy.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
I was shocked by this pick (only because it was 5th overall), but Hayton will be fantastic. He's not gonna be a 1C, but he does have the potential to be a 2C. He's got skill, vision, creativity, hustle, never quits, and is very responsible defensively. Many games he was the Soo's best player. Especially during these playoffs. Many nights he seemed like the only one that showed up to play. If he makes Canada's WJC team, Coyotes fans are going to fall in love with this guy.
IF he makes the WJC? It would be a disaster for Arizona if he did not make it.

golgoXIII

Apr 2, 2007
Terrible pick ... brain cramp from Chayka should go BPA ... I'm pretty sure Zadina will score some goals this year for the wings

Phenomenon13

Oct 10, 2011
I am going to assume their is some positional adjustment to their analytics that gave Hayton a boost for his ranking.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Terrible pick ... brain cramp from Chayka should go BPA ... I'm pretty sure Zadina will score some goals this year for the wings

I guess will know soon or in 10 years who was the better pick. I guess the question is could Chayka traded down a bit in the top ten and still got Hayton.
But despite what team executives say, they do draft by position, so a guaranteed good centre was what Phoenix wanted/needed, Hayton was their guy.

Jayevs

Formerly avsman
Jul 29, 2010
I had Hayton, Veleno, and Lunderstrom all in the same tier soooo Hayton going this early is I mean a little weird. In 2011 I had Scheifele and McNeill in the same tier as well so what do I know.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Keller was drafted as a center but probably one of those guys who will slide to wing long term in the NHL, yes. As for Strome, he was PPG in the American League which is a good sign. Will it translate? I guess we'll find out in the near future.

As of now, Stepan is probably the only reliable guy you can slot down the middle in the top6 with some comfort. Dvorak I like but I think he's a 3rd line center ideally and a stopgap at 2nd line center. Coyote said they will experiment with Gal up the middle too.

Reactions: 99664987

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad