Lost Art of Dynasty
Apr 10, 2007
Vancouver BC
jawandapuck.blogspot.com
Center LHS | 6'2" 194 lbs
Born: 17-SEP-1997, Scottsdale, AZ, USA

Stats: http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=199898

USA_MATTHEWS_AUSTON.JPG

LAKE PLACID, N.Y. -- When Ron Wilson watches center Auston Matthews on video, he sees a player already good enough for the NHL.

Wilson, coach of the U.S. National Junior Team, now looks forward to the opportunity of seeing the 17-year-old live and in person during the U.S. National Junior Evaluation Camp at the Lake Placid Olympic Training Center from Aug. 1-8. Matthews and 38 other players are auditioning for a chance to represent their country at the 2016 IIHF World Junior Championship in Finland from Dec. 26, 2015, through Jan. 5, 2016.

"He's only 17 but he can see the ice so well and he moves the puck and goes to the open ice all the time, so I just think he's a player that is ready to play in the NHL," Wilson said. "I'm really looking forward to coaching someone like this."

Matthews, the projected No. 1 pick of the 2016 NHL Draft in Buffalo, N.Y., had one goal and three points in five games for the United States at the 2015 WJC in Montreal and Toronto. The team finished fifth in the tournament, something that didn't sit well with Matthews.

"I'm extremely determined to make the team because it was a disappointing finish last year," Matthews said. "I think it's something we'll use as motivation for this year...

"I will do it this way so that nobody will leave and say, 'Well, he got to play with Auston Matthews and that's why he looked so good,'" Wilson said. "Having three centers will allow me to rotate the lineup so everyone will have a fair shot to be beside everyone."

Matthews had a productive 2014-15 season; he established two records with the U.S. Under-18 National Team Development Program for goals (55) and points (117), represented his country at the 2015 WJC, won a gold medal as an alternate captain for his country at the 2015 IIHF U-18 World Championship, and scored a goal in an exhibition game for the U.S. Men's National Team at the 2015 World Championship.

He's been keeping busy this summer to remain in top shape.

"I've been working out four or five times a week at home and skating three times a week with some junior, college and pro players," Matthews said. "I've also worked with (NHL performance and skills coach) Darryl Belfry quite a bit this summer in trying to create more space for myself when I'm on the ice and being more effective when I do have the puck."

http://www.nhl.com/ice/m_news.htm?id=775926

Previous thread: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1611595

Last edited:

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Balding at 16/17? Poor kid

Generally your hairline doesn't recede evenly across like that. I think thats just where his hair line is on his head. You can look at pictures taken over a year ago and see the same thing. Healthy 16 year olds do not suffer from male pattern baldness. That's just how his hairline is.

Tormentor

Dec 27, 2007
Too Far
Everyone who keeps ranking Matthews @ 1st overall after the ongoing Lake Placid U20 camp are just sheep following the consensus. Laine and Puljujärvi are better players and better prospects than him, it's obvious. :nod:

thomast

Oct 23, 2009
Everyone who keeps ranking Matthews @ 1st overall after the ongoing Lake Placid U20 camp are just sheep following the consensus. Laine and Puljujärvi are better players and better prospects than him, it's obvious. :nod:

Wow, strong words from you. Your account is probably hacked or drunk :D. If not what makes you think that those two are better than Matthews?

wings5

Jan 6, 2008

Lol based on a few games in the summer? He could have been drinking before the tournament games its freakin early August. Obvious sarcasm but you get the point.

Tormentor

Dec 27, 2007
Too Far
Wow, strong words from you. Your account is probably hacked or drunk :D. If not what makes you think that those two are better than Matthews?
Admittedly I'm being a bit provocative, but I'm not drunk, just suffering from insomnia and trying to make the time go by.

There are still aspects where Matthews is ahead and as a centre forward he's more valuable than a winger with the same skill level, but Laine and Pulju are bigger, stronger and show a bit more game breaking ability than him I think. In addition they have a better shot and are 7 to 8 months younger than Matthews.

Interesting to see if any of the scouting agencies react to the Lake Placid tourney, it's not like Matthews has been playing like a clear-cut 1st overall out there. All 3 make things happen on the ice, but I think Laine and Pulju have a slight edge here and are certainly making a case for themselves.

Lol based on a few games in the summer? He could have been drinking before the tournament games its freakin early August. Obvious sarcasm but you get the point.
It's just a pre-season tourney, you are right about that. On the other hand you need to take full avantage of every opportunity given to you and this event is no exception. There are a lot of scouts watching these kids in Lake Placid and it's one of the few occasions where top North American and European prospects face each other.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
It's just a pre-season tourney, you are right about that. On the other hand you need to take full avantage of every opportunity given to you and this event is no exception. There are a lot of scouts watching these kids in Lake Placid and it's one of the few occasions where top North American and European prospects face each other.

One of the best players in history of team Canada at wjc ( Eberle ) looked horrible in the summer. I don't put too much stock into it, some players have barely been on the ice and the timing isn't there. Let's wait till the season begins.

Last edited:

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
Admittedly I'm being a bit provocative, but I'm not drunk, just suffering from insomnia and trying to make the time go by.

There are still aspects where Matthews is ahead and as a centre forward he's more valuable than a winger with the same skill level, but Laine and Pulju are bigger, stronger and show a bit more game breaking ability than him I think. In addition they have a better shot and are 7 to 8 months younger than Matthews.

Interesting to see if any of the scouting agencies react to the Lake Placid tourney, it's not like Matthews has been playing like a clear-cut 1st overall out there. All 3 make things happen on the ice, but I think Laine and Pulju have a slight edge here and are certainly making a case for themselves.

Im wondering if you were in LP? Ive been here and I can tell Matthews as a clear cut 1 over Pulju and definitely Laine. I dont even think Laine is a top 5 guy right now, he has a lot of intriguing tools, but theres been a ton of guys who never put the tools together. Pulju can be that game breaking winger, but centers are much more coveted, and Matthews is every bit as game breaking as Pulju...

Tormentor

Dec 27, 2007
Too Far
Let's wait till the season begins.
You can wait all you want, but I don't think it's going to change the fact that some of the momentous tools that Laine and Puljujärvi possess are of slightly higher calibre compared to Matthews. It's going to impact their ability on the ice no matter what.

Besides, USA and Finland might not face each other at the World Juniors, so this might've been our only opportunity to see these guys play against each other this season. That ought to count for something.

Dec 13, 2010

When you're the clear-cut #1 these tournaments mean little to nothing. Eichel last year didn't even look like one of the top 10 forwards through the first 4-5 days of the tournament and then turned it on towards the end. Matthews will be fine. Every scout knows what he is, he's not showcasing for anyone. Puljujarvi who only gets to be in North America once or twice a year is the one being watched right now.

Tormentor

Dec 27, 2007
Too Far
Im wondering if you were in LP? Ive been here and I can tell Matthews as a clear cut 1 over Pulju and definitely Laine. I dont even think Laine is a top 5 guy right now, he has a lot of intriguing tools, but theres been a ton of guys who never put the tools together. Pulju can be that game breaking winger, but centers are much more coveted, and Matthews is every bit as game breaking as Pulju...

No, I'm not in Lake Placid, just watching the games through FastHockey.

I don't agree with your assessment, especially about Laine. I think Laine is using his tools a tad better as a whole compared to Puljujärvi.

jacobhockey13

used to watch hockey, then joined HF Boards
Apr 17, 2014
on the bench
The problem is that Matthews isn't a clear-cut number 1. He wasn't a clear-cut #1 after the WU18C's and he certainly isn't one now.

He ripped up the U18's. He was in a class of his own there. Tournament MVP. Leading scorer. What's your definition of clear cut?

McKappa

philip bruhberg
Oct 16, 2011
Edmonton
Likelihood for WHL?

Wanna catch glimpses of him before he is inevitably selected by the Oilers next year.

jacobhockey13

used to watch hockey, then joined HF Boards
Apr 17, 2014
on the bench
A class of his own in a tournament where the person who could challenge him for first overall wasn't there..

The comment I was responding to addressed Puljujarvi and Laine. Poor choice of phrasing on my part. And yes, Chychrun could challenge Matthews for first overall.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad