C Auston Matthews - USNTDP, USHL (2016 Draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dwanmaster*

Eichel 2015
Matthews 2016
Khodorenko 2017
Wise 2018

There's your Center depth... Wow

thomast

Oct 23, 2009
It's really interesting to see Matthews vs Puljujärvi at WJC playing against each other.

bigbadbruins7

Dec 18, 2011
CT
NTDP playing at Providence tonight. Mark Divver (Rhode Island hockey guy) talked to Matthews before game who said that he is 50/50 on going college or WHL and that he has been talking to BC, BU, Michigan and Denver. Divver also noted that the coach believes Matthews is leaning towards the college route. Should be interesting to see how plays out.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
@MarkDivver

'97 C Auston Matthews of NTDP tells me he's 50/50 on college vs. WHL. Says he's talking to BC, BU, Denver, Michigan.

If he goes to BC he'd join a class with Bracco and White. BU he would join Greenway and Letunov. Michigan he'd join Connor and Warren.

Those could be some deadly forward classes.

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
Came back from the game. Matthews was a beast. He just did with confidence and authority. Not as slipper as Bracco but he could find plays through any holes, whether that be driving to the net, hanging onto the puck a second longer, or just throwing the puck in between the defensemen legs.

Top talent.

UncleSam19

Jun 16, 2013

If he goes to BC he'd join a class with Bracco and White. BU he would join Greenway and Letunov. Michigan he'd join Connor and Warren.

not to mention larkin at michigan, who was the #3 freshman in NCAA behind eichel and hanfin.

R S

Sep 18, 2006

On the WHL side of the coin, the Everett Silvertips don't seem to have many young studs in the stable. While that might be a downside in his decision-making process, it also means he could step straight into their top 6 and see plenty of ice time and PP opportunity.

Should be an interesting decision.

arsmaster*

On the WHL side of the coin, the Everett Silvertips don't seem to have many young studs in the stable. While that might be a downside in his decision-making process, it also means he could step straight into their top 6 and see plenty of ice time and PP opportunity.

Should be an interesting decision.

Possibly could go a long way into convincing Jost to come.

Pretty good 1-2 punch, and likely another top 15 pick for 2016 to play with.

tealhockey

@overtheboards
Jun 2, 2012
www.tealhockey.net
NTDP playing at Providence tonight. Mark Divver (Rhode Island hockey guy) talked to Matthews before game who said that he is 50/50 on going college or WHL and that he has been talking to BC, BU, Michigan and Denver. Divver also noted that the coach believes Matthews is leaning towards the college route. Should be interesting to see how plays out.

I'd say it is extremely unlikely that Matthews goes the college route. My personal odds would be 2% chance he goes the college route. He has the late birthday and is a dominant force who should be a pretty great player either way. personally having seen both Eichel and Matthews I have a very hard time saying which is better and they are both far-and-away the best prospects I've ever seen at their age. BU does not have much room left for next year so if he goes anywhere I wouldn't expect it to be there unless Greenway and their other recruits don't come. You can bet on seeing Auston Matthews in an Everett Silvertips jersey, though. unless they trade his rights, but it's still pretty likely he'll be wearing a WHL patch on his jersey in his draft year..

Anchor Town*

I'd say it is extremely unlikely that Matthews goes the college route. My personal odds would be 2% chance he goes the college route. You can bet on seeing Auston Matthews in an Everett Silvertips jersey, though. unless they trade his rights, but it's still pretty likely he'll be wearing a WHL patch on his jersey in his draft year..

Why do you think so adamantly that he'll head to the dub?

tealhockey

@overtheboards
Jun 2, 2012
www.tealhockey.net
Why do you think so adamantly that he'll head to the dub?

I've spent/spend a lot of time in the rinks in the mid-west, I cover college recruiting and run a scouting service - in amateur hockey circles not until this week have I ever heard even remotely that there was a chance he would go to college. It seems like wishful thinking to me.. Max Gildon (1999) is in a similar boat, I'm sure people will hope that he comes to college but even if he does it's a one-and-done best case scenario the way he projects right now. It's possible that he really has had his 'eyes opened' to college, and you never know, but my 2% expectation is raised from what used to be a 0.01% chance. Everett has a loaded pipeline of American prospects (and Canadians - Tyson Jost, 1998) and the understanding I have is that they are about to cash in big time on those by next christmas. The late birthdate is what makes me extremely adamant. If Jack Eichel was a late birthdate and born in OHL territory I would have said similar things, he's a Boston kid going to BU - the exception that makes the rule.. not an Arizona kid talking about going to Denver or BC.

edit: for what it's worth, he is our service's top available uncommitted player (free), we just don't factor in likelihood to go CHL at all

usascout1

Nov 2, 2012
Matthews has 2 goals and an assist so far through two periods against BU. Eichel has the same statline against his former team.

Was at the game. To be fair, Eichel had a lot less ice time than Matthews. BU using a lot of guys that night as well as a fairly new goalie. Eichel had a quick 3 points and then played only when necessary. On the other hand, Matthews had more ice time than any other U-18 player.

tealhockey

@overtheboards
Jun 2, 2012
www.tealhockey.net
Here's an article also quoting Matthews himself on Yahoo Sports, talking about school and what it would take to head to college next season..

"The big question going forward with Matthews is where will he play next year? Both the WHL and NCAA would love to have him in their development programs.

“Right now I’m 50/50 on where I might play,†says Matthews. “I’m not ruling out anything and am looking at my options right now.â€

Matthews will be the WHL’s most sought after American prospect since Nashville Predators defender Seth Jones. It just so happens that the same team that originally held Jones’ rights – the Everett Silvertips – has Matthews on their 50-player list. The Silvertips ended up trading Jones’ rights to the Portland Winterhawks because they couldn’t sign him. It seems that the ‘Tips won’t be salvaging what they can out of Matthews by trading his rights to another team because he appears to be content with Everett if he chooses the major junior route.

“I could see myself being there (next year),†says Matthews. “They are doing well right now in their division and they look like a good team and play in a good location.... It matters on whether they'll be competitive next year a bit, but I'm more focused on the coaching staff on deciding where I'll play.
It is safe to say that every NCAA school would love to have Matthews in its program. But if he were to go the college route, he would have to take classes this summer in order to have enough credits to enroll for the 2015-16 season as he’s in Grade 11 this year.

“I think it’s do-able,†he says on taking summer classes. “If that’s what I decide, I will be able to get it done. And righ now I’m just looking at my options for schools.â€"​

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Wherever he chooses to go expect big things, he should go top 3 next year.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
How does he compare to Kirwan, another American late 97 player?

they really aren't anything alike to be honest.

Matthews has emerged as a potential superstar, and looking at the depth this country is starting to produce, things could be looking very positive for the US for the next dozen years.

all he has done is destroy everywhere he has played when healthy. I think he goes to the WHL myself but either way this kid goes he will be a top player.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
they really aren't anything alike to be honest.

Matthews has emerged as a potential superstar, and looking at the depth this country is starting to produce, things could be looking very positive for the US for the next dozen years.

all he has done is destroy everywhere he has played when healthy. I think he goes to the WHL myself but either way this kid goes he will be a top player.

Matthews playing with Sherbak would have been unreal, but if he comes next year along with Jost, they could form quite the duo. Throw in Nikolishin and perhaps another talented import forward (likely a Russian ) and could still be a good team to follow next year.

savard95

May 9, 2014
Montréal
Matthews playing with Sherbak would have been unreal, but if he comes next year along with Jost, they could form quite the duo. Throw in Nikolishin and perhaps another talented import forward (likely a Russian ) and could still be a good team to follow next year.

Would've loved Scherbak and Matthews!! Scherb will probably end up in the top 5 in points. Pretty sure this would've been beneficial to Matthews.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce