C Auston Matthews (2016, 1st, TOR) IX

Status
Not open for further replies.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
auston_matthews_toronto_062416.jpg

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/leafs-matthews-gretzky-1.3808882

"When I played my first game I was more worried about surviving and staying in the NHL," said the league's all-time leading scorer.

"For him to come in under the microscope in this day and age, with so much media and being in Toronto, the mecca of hockey, [it was] something really special."

In his NHL debut, Gretzky recorded an assist on what would be the first goal for the Edmonton Oilers after it joined the league from the World Hockey Association.

https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-in-awe-of-auston-matthews-debut/c-282619612

David Poile, Nashville Predators general manager

"It was just a fantastic start for the National Hockey League. If you weren't a fan of hockey and that was the first time you tuned in to watch a hockey game, you'd have to absolutely fall in love with the game. I thought it was fantastic. I mean, I watched at least parts of all four games and they were all just terrific. And then you get that unbelievable, individual, spectacular play by Auston Matthews in his first game, and then you've got Connor McDavid two hours later out in Edmonton doing a fantastic job there getting two goals and an assist."

Steven Stamkos, Tampa Bay Lightning forward

"That was pretty amazing. Never been done in the history of the NHL. That's obviously pretty exciting for him to go out there in his first game and score four goals. That was fun to watch as a player in this League and as a fan in general. You just hope that expectations aren't that he goes out and does that all the time. But you can see that he's going to be a great player in this League for a long time. These guys coming in are so skilled and so confident and that showed last night."

Jonathan Drouin, Lightning forward

"It was impressive. Not many guys can draw it up like that. He's so big (6-foot-3, 216 pounds) for that age and his skill level is really high and it showed last night. He's young but you can see how big and strong he is already. He's already kind of a man in his body, and with that skill set it's pretty unbelievable."

Jon Cooper, Lightning coach/ Team North America assistant coach

"Pretty remarkable performance by Auston. I was joking that it was all the extra coaching he got at the World Cup [of Hockey 2016] from the [Team] North America coaches."

Bruce Boudreau, Minnesota Wild coach

"It's always interesting to see young stars play really well. As long as it's not against your team."

John Tavares, New York Islanders center

"That was impressive, no question. I thought I had a pretty good start to my career in my first game [goal and an assist], but nothing tops that. I think he proved at the World Cup his talent and his ability even at his young age. You can just see his confidence growing. Pretty impressive."

Ken Hitchcock, St. Louis Blues coach

"I thought [Pittsburgh Penguins defenseman] Kris Letang put it best, 'Welcome to the beer league.' It was like holy ... he's a man. He's not a young player. He's a young player age-wise, but he doesn't play like a young player and he doesn't look like a young player on the ice. He knocked over men to create scoring chances. He knocked over 230-pound men to create scoring chances. It's very, very impressive.

Henrik Lundqvist, Rangers goalie

"All the players know what type of feeling it is to play your first NHL game. It's a dream come true. When it happens like that, I bet he's just thinking, 'Is this really happening? Is this real?' I saw some highlights and obviously to start your career with four goals, that's extremely impressive. But he looked very poised. It's not a coincidence, I think. He looked prepared for this level. It's going to be fun to watch him play this year."

Barry Trotz, Capitals coach

"That was pretty incredible. I was going to text [Maple Leafs coach] Mike [Babcock]. He was wondering how he would do. As coaches we all know he's a good talent. What he did was incredible. What a start for one of the new faces in the League. If you look at the last couple of years with Connor McDavid and Auston Matthews, our game is in pretty good shape. The torch is going to get handed to those guys in the near future."

Dan Bylsma, Sabres coach

"Sometimes you get goals bouncing off your stick or going off your head or whatnot, and yeah, you got a hat trick or you got an extra goal. … Those were pretty good. They limited him to four goals yesterday. He could have had a couple more. … They had a ton of chances with that line. It was a pretty impressive performance from Auston and his line in that game. And it wasn't by chance. They were good opportunities. It was a pretty fun game to watch."

Last edited:

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
I want him to be more psychical. That's my only complaint, he uses his size to his advantage but, laying a hit or getting to some more gritty areas would help his game i think. He reminds me of Nylander last year avoiding contact a bit and being a tad passive at times.

TIGERCOOL

Sep 29, 2014
I want him to be more psychical. That's my only complaint, he uses his size to his advantage but, laying a hit or getting to some more gritty areas would help his game i think. He reminds me of Nylander last year avoiding contact a bit and being a tad passive at times.

He's still a bit timid. He's 19 years old, and he's the first overall draft pick for the ****ing Toronto Maple Leafs... so I'll cut him some slack. His intensity is getting more consistent already. He's making fewer bad decisions, and figuring out when to do his thing. Will he ever be a physical presence? I think so. Not a hitting machine, but someone damn near impossible to get off the puck who will beat you on the boards regularly. He's still going to get substantially stronger, and marginally faster than he is. Just let that soak in for a second.

kunekune

Feb 17, 2016
His defensive play is vastly overrated here.

Superb player but more in the mold of Tavares than Kopitar.

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010

He's 19. Give him time. He could easily be more physically dominant than Kopitar when he's fully developed.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto

I don't think Kopitar or Bergeron looked like the current defensive players they currently are at 19. He also plays on a line with all rookies.

kunekune

Feb 17, 2016
I don't think Kopitar or Bergeron looked like the current defensive players they currently are at 19. He also plays on a line with all rookies.

Propably not but Ive never seen it in Matthews. At least Kopitar and Bergeron were penaltykillers in juniors. Matthews always been offensive player.

To be honest he still has a long way to get even Tavares quality defensive play.

TDK67

Apr 17, 2016
Definitely has the best defensive tools & IQ of the top 2016 picks though.

He looks more and more like Crosby every game. Potentially capable of really high scoring seasons while having a very strong two-way game. NOT Selke level but among the better defensive forwards in the league.

Snowsii

Jan 6, 2014

I dont think he'll reach Kopitar / Bergeron level defense, but hey.. would gladly take near or over ppg center with good defense..

Why i think he wont reach that level of defense.

Coz we would have allready seen glimbes of it, if he would have it.. Barkov were very good defensively @ age of 19..

TDK67

Apr 17, 2016
Definitely has the best defensive tools & IQ of the top 2016 picks though.

He looks more and more like Crosby every game. Potentially capable of really high scoring seasons while having a very strong two-way game. NOT Selke level but among the better defensive forwards in the league.

To clarify, I'm not saying he'll put up Crosby numbers, but whatever is a half step or full step below that.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
I still can't believe they let him play in the world cup....Toronto media bias.....

"They" "let" two other kiddos in similar phase of their NHL career play there too, and all three are now kind of high in their respective NHL team's point rankings, six or so games into the season and NHL career. I see no fault. I'm biased as hell though, obviously.

Besides, were they supposed to have the projected draft runner-up steal the limelight with his sole unprecedented World Cup presence? Pre-draft, as when the teams were announced.

scan15*

May 11, 2016
GTA

Matthews and Nylander being players who try to avoid physical contact completely is a good thing. Less injuries.

scan15*

May 11, 2016
GTA
I dont think he'll reach Kopitar / Bergeron level defense, but hey.. would gladly take near or over ppg center with good defense..

Coz we would have allready seen glimbes of it, if he would have it.. Barkov were very good defensively @ age of 19..

Keep doubting. You've been consistently wrong about Matthews so far.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto

Barkov was also no where near Matthews offensively at the same age, defensively better but Matthews will be a tier above Barkov overall.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
I hope Matthews and Nylander finish 1-2 in Calder voting.... Nylander #1 though due to keeper pool bragging reasons haha

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
I hope Matthews and Nylander finish 1-2 in Calder voting.... Nylander #1 though due to keeper pool bragging reasons haha

No way that happens. People wouldn't stop screaming about how biased it is even if they deserve it. I can't see them both getting nominated even if they continue playing this well.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
No way that happens. People wouldn't stop screaming about how biased it is even if they deserve it. I can't see them both getting nominated even if they continue playing this well.

true lol.... but as of now those 2 have been the leagues best rookies easily IMO so you never know!!!

Nylander is lethal as hell on the PP with that damn shot of his

TheLeastOfTheBunch

Franchise Centre
Jun 28, 2007
Toronto
Under Babcock's tutelage Auston will eventually develop that sort of a high-end defensive game as well. The tools are certainly there, just a matter of becoming mature and gaining experience at this level, plus adding strength/muscle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad